(off topic) coming soon to a highway near you

kittybeast

Apr 20, 2004
Always Somewhere!
(taken from L. Christopher Smith, Rolling Stone)

drug tests may soon be ocming to a highway near you. Under "drugged-driving initiatives" passed in 11 states, cops can already test motorists involved in an accident to see if they're under the influence of an illegal substance. But within a year, the police may be armed with a new generation of devices- and a new FEDERAL LAW- that make it possible to test drivers right by the side of the road.

With help from the Bush Admin. the drug-testing industry is developing saliva kits, which use a toothbrush-shaped swab to instantly analyze a drivers spit for drugs. The kits eliminate the need for blood and urine samples making it easier for police to test drivers on the spot. But the test doesn't simply determine if yuo're high- it tells the cops whether you've done illegal drugs at anytime in the past week, meaning that someone who smoked a joint at a party Saturday night could fail a drug test while driving to work on Monday.

"We could start seeing people getting pulled over simply for having a Grateful Dead sticker on their car," says Graham Boyd, director of the drug law reform project of the ACLU. "These people could get tested right there on the road, and it would have nothin to do with driving under the influence of drugs."

The push for roadside drug testing is being driven in large part by Michael Walsh, a former associate director to the drug czar who now runs his own drug-test company. Backed by federal funding Walsh is currently testing saliva kits for widespread use and is pressuring Congress to extend workplace drug regulations to all U.S. drivers. In 2002, Walsh and the White House lobbied states to enact "zero tolerance" laws that treat drivers who test positive for drugs as criminals-even if they have only trace elements of marijuana in their systems.

"The point of this legislation is to get drugged drivers off the road," says Ed Orlett, a former Ohio legislator who is fighting a drugged-drivers bill up for a final vote in the state House. "But the laws are written in such a way that they have nothing to do with impairment. It's just a way to punish social drug users"

And yet alcohol is legal.......and yet prescriptions drugs are legal.......I swear the Bush Admin. is waging a war on pot...being they can't stop the Columbian drug lords, or the Middle Eastern Opium and Hash...I suppose they are just gonna wage war on stoners.....

It seems more and more that was Orwell and not Huxley the prophet. Big Brother is watching you...

Nothin' against road tests... Don't mind any drinking or druguse, I have my share of alcohol now and than too...But driving and drinking/drugs don't combine in my book... in accidents mostly sober people become victims of toxicated drivers...
Tests need to be precise though, if you are under influence at that particular moment...

I lost a friend because of a drunk who smashed into his car. I'll never forget it. I hate drunks, not just because of that though.

Although I support legalization of drugs, I support checking drivers not being under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Anyone who endangers other peoples lives by driving while drunk or stoned should be taken of the road to a very unpleasant place!

kittybeast said:
(taken from L. Christopher Smith, Rolling Stone)

I'm still on the Jimi article. :) I keep the RS out in the smoking lounge (garage, and it's tobacco only) so it takes me a bit to work my way through it.

kittybeast said:
And yet alcohol is legal.......and yet prescriptions drugs are legal.......I swear the Bush Admin. is waging a war on pot...being they can't stop the Columbian drug lords, or the Middle Eastern Opium and Hash...I suppose they are just gonna wage war on stoners.....

It seems to me that if they were sincere in their desire to stem the flow of illegal drugs into the country that they could close the border. But that wouldn't play well with some of their backers... Politics. :erk:

I think they should blow it out their asses personally ... Land of the free hahah yeah right....

EDIT: Pro-Pain - Foul Taste of Freedom
young, dumb and helpless - in the states
you say you ain't got no money - I can relate
I lost my job and my house and my - piece of mind
we're in the deepest depression of - modern time

a thousand points of light shinin' - in my face
eyes are blinded by a can of replublican mace
shinin' seas of starving people are the - unemployed
stars and stripes are rubber checks - null and void

we are the red, white and blue that you bleed
we have the right to survive and succeed
worthless and weak is "be all you can be"
democracy leaves a foul taste of freedom in me

budget cuts and tax hikes - crush the land
of plenty, see the weak die by gods hand
if you're proud of your country then you're probably rich
buf if you're fed up you better piss, moan and bitch
yankee doodle dickweed went to town
apple pie and chevrolet shot him down
a patriotic, fatheaded, sucker, freak
is proud to serve the country that had served him weak

we are the red, white and blue that you bleed
we have the right to survive and succeed
worthless and weak is "be all you can be"
democracy leaves a foul taste of freedom in me

Agreed no on should drink/drug and drive. But our government is getting "tooo personal." These saliva kits better be throuroughly tested, what about the person who eats a poppy seed bagel everday...they'll test positive for Opiates. I just think our governments priorities are in the wrong place.

We should be working on feeding hungry people, getting homeless shelter, getting jobless jobs, not pulling over some stoner cuz he did a California stop, then testing him and sending him to jail. Our Government spent 35 MILLION dollars last year fighting the war on drugs. The Bush Admin. has spent close to 5.4 BILLION dollars to get rid of Cocaine. This is a waste of taxpayers money.

I am curious to know what punishment or fine this crime would have. For once I'm glad to see the ACLU involved!

that's bullshit ... so, if i get high on the weekend in my own damn house, and am responsible enough to not be stupid and drive until it wears off, i can still potentially be jailed for drug use. THC stays in your system for 30 days (on average), so i could fail a test by their standards if i last smoked 3 or 4 weeks ago...... Bush is a fucking idiot .... its not bad enough that our soldiers are dying in vain for a war that makes no sense, but now we cant even toke up without worrying about going to jail a month later ...... where is John Hinckley when you need him?