Would you share some Lepous settings for DIs ?

First, ditch kefir, use LeCab2.

Second, there's a ton of great impulses out there (catharsis, gods cab, etc.). A simple search will bring you to them. Try them all out and find the ones you like best.

Its usually not very difficult to get a decent sound from the plethora of great free amp sims out there. Just play around with them.

One tip I will share with you though is to not use as much gain as you think you need or are used to. That will help eliminate some of the digital grainy'ness you hear.

Tune before every take and use fresh strings. I mean REALLY in tune. Listen to it on chords, don't just rely on what the tuner says. Make sure its well intonated for the drop tuning. You won't believe the difference between a guitar that's 99% in tune and one that truly is.

Also, are you using a DI box?

I guess layering 2 pre-amps will help but don't find the best match.

Nooooooo! Would you send your head into another head before sending to your cab?

The only exception in this case is the SoloC can be a nice boost if its used on clean. But don't reach for that right away.

As stated before:
-drop Keifer, get LeCab2
-download impulses (GuitarHack, Catharsis, God's Cab, ReCabinet, RedWirez, etc)
-toy around. With a good guitar, good gain staging, and the best ampsims/impulses available, getting a good tone should be easy

And don't expect any "settings" or "presets" to do exactly what they do for others. We all have different guitars, strings, DI boxes, digital converters, and most importantly, different hands/brains. Find YOUR tone :)

Kefir has more precise convolution than LeCab, especially version 2, and does not add additional latency, but have larger CPU consumption with lengthy IRs. As for precision, Kefir is on par with Voxengo Pristine Space and Knufinke SIR2.
And check Mix setting in kefir to avoid dry signal.

For me it's all about eqing the signal. Of course you're going to get fizz from the high end no matter which one you use. Narrow cuts with an eq help but it never goes away completely. I usually find the 5.8-6.4khhz region the most problematic, and also depending on the IR you use other areas will need narrow cuts.

The legion is better for death and black. You really should try Lecab and mess with impulses. Try and and keep the high end but not the fizz. Thats the basics.You might face problems with the 5khz area. Atleast i do. Just try using edge impulses and tune them up slightly more than the center impulses. then add c4 waves and it gets better.

My go-to chain is:

TSE808
Le456
LeCab (guitar hacks, gods cab, etc)
EQ (ReaEQ)

With EQ, highpass around 100hz, low pass around 10khz, and a slight boost around 3-5k. I can get decent tones, but I need to focus more on cutting away frequencies instead of boosting.

Yes using a DI, -18dBFS.

If your rating it by dbFS the average should be around -6 dbFS - -10 dbFS unless you are rating it by RMS which you are correct the average should be -18dbFS RMS. It can be that your incoming signal just isn't hot enough.

I personally load a dbVU plugin such as satson or klanghelm and adjust my DI according to being below 0dbVU I usually save some slack too for the heavier parts which probably translates to -18 to -21 dbFS RMS or -6 to -10 dbFS.
Try that maybe that will help?

Pre-EQ is as important as Post-EQ. Some amp sims sound like mushy crap without pre-EQ. It can tighten things up and add / remove that djenty scratchiness.

For Pre-EQ, I usually use a tubescreamer pedal or plugin like the TS-999. Otherwise for more control I use an EQ plugin to roll off the bass and broadly but gently boost the 1k region. The greater the boost, the more scratchy/squeaky the distortion. Sometimes I'll put a compressor after the EQ to bring up the levels of the palm mutes and make them crunchier.

If there's not enough attack or dynamics, I'll instead use a transient designer to increase the pick attack before it hits the amp sim, or after the amp sim. Makes it sound less flat, adds a little more realism.

For post EQ, I start rolling off under 90-100Hz, with a slight bump at 100Hz if needed to emulate cab woof. Maybe a narrow dip around 700-850Hz if it's too honky. Slight wide dip 1k to 2k to make room for clean vocals / piano / strings. And then do surgical narrow cuts in the 4k to 8k region to remove digital and annoying fizz, usually around 4.8k and 5.2k in my case, and again 7.2k maybe (depends on your setup). I just make a narrow notch and sweep until an annoying fizz goes away, then adjust the Q and dB so that it's reduced but not totally absent.

If you're going to layer guitars, I recommend using completely different amp sims instead of the same exact one atop itself, otherwise it starts sounding too phasey. You can make one with less gain and more low-mids than the other to add some body without increased fizz.

For post EQ, I start rolling off under 90-100Hz, with a slight bump at 100Hz if needed to emulate cab woof. Maybe a narrow dip around 700-850Hz if it's too honky. Slight wide dip 1k to 2k to make room for clean vocals / piano / strings. And then do surgical narrow cuts in the 4k to 8k region to remove digital and annoying fizz, usually around 4.8k and 5.2k in my case, and again 7.2k maybe (depends on your setup). I just make a narrow notch and sweep until an annoying fizz goes away, then adjust the Q and dB so that it's reduced but not totally absent.

and by the time i do all that, i end up with a boxy dark ugly tone ;(

If you're going to layer guitars, I recommend using completely different amp sims instead of the same exact one atop itself, otherwise it starts sounding too phasey. You can make one with less gain and more low-mids than the other to add some body without increased fizz.

Aladeen to that :p

Although im not so sure about his eq settings.

give guys here your di's files and you-ll see what they can achieve with it :cool:
Than ask their settings/screens %-)

Aren't you guys having problems with Lecab? I mean it kept crashing all the time after a while... I now use MixIR, no problems so far.

Keeping an eye on this thread, never got lepou's to sound right. I have to lower the volume a lot or it will bump the levels a lot, like 10 db or so. Maybe something will mentioned here that I have skipped ;)