Wow, System of a Down freaking rules.

SouthernTrendkill

Super Normie
Aug 22, 2007
I had never really heard any nu-metal because I don't listen to any of that kind of radio. But since I liked metalcore I started to check out those old nu-metal bands. Most of the mended up sucking and being really, really soft. But I just got Toxicity in the mail today and Christ... it fucking rocks. And it's fucking heavy for a nu-metal band. IMO this is definetly legit metal. It's heavier than a lot of metal bands I've seen... yeah those bands all sucked but hey it still counts.

Anybody dig me on this? And even if not, do you agree they are the heaviest nu-metal band? 'Cause I never delved far into the categories of any others 'cause they all sucked pretty blatantly IMHO. But the stuff I checked out from System was as heavy as Catchy-33 so I gave them a full chance.

(though I didn't put it in the metal forum 'cause I assumed it would have been closed.)

I used to think System of a Down was just another stupid nu band.

I used to think that. Such a fool I was.

they have a few good musical ideas but their vocals suck as does "metalcore" and most new forms of "metal"

I dig their first 3 albums but can't get into the other 2. Definitely one of the best nu-metal bands. Wouldn't say that they're the heaviest but they are quality for sure.

I dig their first 3 albums but can't get into the other 2. Definitely one of the best nu-metal bands. Wouldn't say that they're the heaviest but they are quality for sure.

Not to seem like a dick, but who would you say is the heaviest nu-metal band? 'Cause I'd like to check them out.

(though I didn't put it in the metal forum 'cause I assumed it would have been closed.)

I'll keep this open for the moment, but if it descends into a nu-metal slagfest I'll close it.

Toxicity is an awesome album. Steal This Album has also got some great stuff on it. I don't really think of SOAD as a nu-metal band though tbh. They lost me with Mezmerize/Hypnotize/.

As far the heaviest nu-metal, Korn's Life Is Peachy takes the honours imo.

Deftones and Mudvayne were pretty awesome! I wouldn't personally consider them heavier than System (at least the stuff I've heard), but it's all subjective. Time to go check out Korn...

The first one, Toxicity, and Steal This Album! were all favourites of mine 3 or 4 years ago. I still listen to Toxicity occasionally, its a good album. I got Mezmerize or whatever when it came out and I remember being rather underwhelmed with it.

"Toxicity" is a great album. The rest: not so good. I've yet to hear Serj Tankian's solo effort "Elect the Dead" but I've heard good things.