System Of A Down?

I like SOAD, they're not the greatest metal (arguably) band of all times, but they're not absolute shit like some seem to make them.
As far as for vocals, I think it's a personal preference, I, for one, LOVE his style of singing. It's like Dani Filth, some think he sounds like screeching cats, others find it very melodic or something.
I agree with those of you who say that music should not be all deep and shit. Sometimes it's time for meaningless noise, although I don’t consider SOAD a meaningless noise. But they're great to listen to in the car, where you can sing along and don’t really have to pay attention to the music and do what you supposed to do, which is pay attention to the road. hehe

MegaMoose said:
And if you need depth for good music, none of us should be listening to metal. Even the more complex metal bands are pretty simplistic compared to Beethoven and the like. I doubt that most people here (or anywhere for that matter) can even comprehend the depth and nuance of the great classical composers.

Nonsense. Any genre of music can be just as great as classical. And classical music can be just as bad as any genre of music. The only difference is that classical music has been around more then ten times as long as metal. If metal is still around in 400 years, I'm sure it will be just as great a genre as classical. Same with jazz. I actually play a lot of classical in band and for solos (sax player), as well as listen to some classical. A lot of the metal I listen to is far better then the classical music I play. Sorry to change the subject, I just had to respond. Go ahead and go back to talking about SOAD :rolleyes:

I used to like SOAD, and thought that Toxicity was a good album, but my taste in music just simply changed.

I think SoaD are AWESOME. They arnt my favorite or anything but they have the most bizarre style ever.. i never expect what they do in each song and thats why they are great.. They are very weird.. but thats a good thing :headbang:

Blissful_Kunt said:
I think SoaD are AWESOME. They arnt my favorite or anything but they have the most bizarre style ever.. i never expect what they do in each song and thats why they are great.. They are very weird.. but thats a good thing :headbang:
Can't stand them.

IWP said:
I used to like SOAD, and thought that Toxicity was a good album, but my taste in music just simply changed.
Same here. But I still think "Soil" in their self-titled album is the best song ever. I used to like em very much. But the last two albums. Man. Anyway, I just listen to Soil now.

guitarbreaker said:
I lost faith in them when their guitarist started sing and how they become politcal and bullshit. Also grew out the nu-metal crap.

They've always been political. Duh. Read the back of their first album.

SOAD were one of my first metal bands and helped ease me into the genre as a whole, turning me on to heavy music (before SOAD I mostly listened to pop-punk/nu-metal/etc...:erk:) and leading me to where I am today. They're not my favorite band anymore by any means, but they are still enjoyable because their style is unlike most of what's in the mainstream.

SoaD wasn't the band that got me into metal. Actually when I first listened to them their vocals turned me off. A lil afterwords I started to like them a lot more but only for 8 months. The bands that got me into metal was KoRn, Slipknot, and the new Metallica.

SOAD is an original band. Honestly, can you name a band that sounds like them, that isn't a complete ripoff? I love them. Their last two albums were subpar, but Toxicity and Steal This Album were awesome.

SOAD have a unique sound and their music isn't bad. Too bad the lyrics are full of political propaganda. The lead singer also is on record as stating that the US deserved the attacks on 9/11. They are metal's version of REM.