System of a Down

Thraxz said:
I don't think they THINK at all. They spew up typical punkesque anarchistic bullshit and then fail to follow suit with actions. I hate them as people AND their music pop ridden awfulness. You don't get much worse than that.
Like Hardcore Punk.

My dad downloaded an interview with Darren, and there's a part where he's talking about how he used to play powerchords as b5's. He then plays the riff to Iron Man both ways, and says something like "I'm still doing it wrong though, I'm playing it in the wrong key, Iron Man's actually in B minor." Iron Man is in E MINOR, and STARTS on B. Great guitarist indeed... ha ha ha!

People are mistaking "uniqueness" and "Crap" together. I think their music is really distasteful. I mean their arrangements are so jumbled that it of course it sounds crazy. I especially hate that song that's like "ogga booga booga wake up, ogga booga wooga make up" that's probably the most distasteful music I've heard in my life :puke:

I honestly think that band is pathetic. I guess they're drummer's good, but other than that I can't say anything good about them. I think the person who said that they don't take music seriously enough was right on.

How exactly does uniqueness automatically make them good? And how exactly do they put across a good message if they themselves are hypocritical idiots?

So some of you hate them because technically they don't play their chords right...
Because they are not musically correct...
Because "apparently" they contradict themselves...

So what's rock got to do with it? Since WHEN you must be "correct" to make rock music? Maybe you take yourselves too seriously and/or just like to bash bands for whatever reasons...

Thraxz said:
How exactly does uniqueness automatically make them good? And how exactly do they put across a good message if they themselves are hypocritical idiots?
because i'd rather listen to a band doing something different than yet another dream theater or yes clone. honestly.

and they're taking a stand against the social climate, whether they believe it or not, their music does.

L. Knight said:
So some of you hate them because technically they don't play their chords right...
Because they are not musically correct...
Because "apparently" they contradict themselves...

So what's rock got to do with it? Since WHEN you must be "correct" to make rock music? Maybe you take yourselves too seriously and/or just like to bash bands for whatever reasons...
I don't know about the rest of the users on this forum, but I think of music as an art form, and in art, things are done best when you combine the right colors, put in enough details, use different prespectives, and stuff like that, each thing varying depending on the style of music/ art you're trying to play.

To me, I personally like my music to be very dark and emotional, using dark and emotional colors, which in music, would probably be minor scales or modes. The details would be well written riffs, licks, solos, or even PolyRhythms if you want to go extremely detailed. The different prespectives and dimensions of a song would be things like how well put together the song is, with variety, catchiness (sometimes), and how it flows.

My Point: System of a Down has only a few areas of these down pat and that's catchiness, and variety. Their riffs are mostly power chord progressions which pay little to no regard to key or anything. Also, like I stated earlier, they don't take their music seriously.

This is just my take though. Call me a dick if you want, but this is just how I think of the music I listen to.

L. Knight said:
It's okay. Most people don't like punk music either for the same reasons. Tastes...

At least, punk music was something authentic and those following that movement were authentic as well. Not like all these new pseudo-rebel commercial ass bands that use their "extreme" image to promote mediocre music.

Anyway, I'd say Thraxz puts things extremely well. Not really many things to add...

Thraxz said:
If they can't follow their own message, no one else will either.

EDIT: That isn't already.
If they don't follow their own image that they made for themselves, then how could it possibly be their image?

Toxicity is fun to listen to, nothing more. I wouldn't buy their stuff but I don't mind when guys play it. I didn't hear anything from their new album.

I really like SOAD, I'd rather listen to them than the same boring power metal over and over.

Sevendust is a really good 'nu-metal' band too by the way. Not too big on their latest album though.