wreath being played live?

I'm pretty sure they've never played it. I think i remember reading mike say that by the pain i see in others would be near impossible to play live, so perhaps we won't get to see either.

straight from the horse's mouth:

Hi guys!

Don't know why I'm responding to this really, but you seem to wanna know.
Many of the songs you guys thought we'd never played we actually have played.

From the first album all songs have been played live except for "Requiem" and "Silhouette". At one gig in 1994 we did all the "Orchid" songs (incl. "Under the weeping moon") apart from those two.

All Morningrise songs have been played apart from "The night and the silent water". We did a brief version of "Black rose immortal" in High Wycombe/UK in 1995. Morningrise wasn't recorded by then and the song was not finished, but it still counts....30 people or so saw it.

All of MAYH have been played apart from the instrumentals + "Karma".

All songs from Still life apart from "The moor" which we are rehearsing right now....hard track to play!!

All BWP songs apart from the instrumental + the title track (which we're also rehearsing + "Dirge for November". We did "The funeral portrait" during a short 7 gig UK tour in 2002.

From Deliverance we haven't played "Wreath" and "By the pain I see in others" I think BTPISIO is impossible to play, but I'd like to give it a go...it's so fucked up it'll be hard to get it right. That makes it extra interesting!

Obviously all the "Damnation" tracks have been played live.
Hope that answers your questions!
See ya soon!
Mike

this post was from awhile ago, but I think it still holds (minus "The Moor" and BWP, of course).

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
From the first album all songs have been played live except for "Requiem" and "Silhouette". At one gig in 1994 we did all the "Orchid" songs (incl. "Under the weeping moon") apart from those two.

All BWP songs apart from the instrumental + the title track (which we're also rehearsing + "Dirge for November". We did "The funeral portrait" during a short 7 gig UK tour in 2002.
I would have loved to see those two shows. I know a lot people do not care much for it, but I am big fan of The Funeral Portrait...and obviously, to see almost all of Orchid would have been just fucking sweet.

I still feel pretty honored having seen The Moor and April Ethereal (especially in the same show, holy fuck, that is still probably the best show from any band I have ever been to, at least a set list point-of-view)

The Moor + April Ethereal + Blackwater Park = the best live gig I've ever been to.

You just can't compare the experience to anything else. 3 of the strongest tracks from 3 of their strongest albums. Fantastic.

Moonlapse said:
The Moor + April Ethereal + Blackwater Park = the best live gig I've ever been to.

You just can't compare the experience to anything else. 3 of the strongest tracks from 3 of their strongest albums. Fantastic.
Exactly what I was saying, man, it was just an experience to conquer all experiences.

maneatingbrick said:
Man i would have loved to see under the weeping moon live.

Word. Man Mikael (and the band presumably) really don't like The Night and the Silent Water. Anyone know specifically why?

Scarlett Letterman said:
Word. Man Mikael (and the band presumably) really don't like The Night and the Silent Water. Anyone know specifically why?

Straight from the FAQ:

"Why doesnt Mikael like 'Night and the Silent Water' or play it live?

[Posted by Mikael on these forums] I don't wanna slag off any of my/our older tunes, but with TNATSW it's different as I wrote that to my grandfather who'd passed away and it was terrible. Much like the whole recordings of the new albums was "tainted" by my grandmothers passing.
This together with the fact that I don't like the production of the "Morningrise" album at all + some of the riffs for that song feels really "old" today. I liked it at the time and I still think it's a good song, but if I have to chose my least fave Opeth song then that is it.

I consider all songs a document of that time and TNATSW is no exception, but I can't really relate to that tune anymore. Lyrically it's one of those songs I just wanted to leave behind as soon as I was done, you know."

I'd love to see Wreath live.

That's a bummer that they never play Karma. I guess Lopez has some issues with it, but I think it'd slay live...especially the end of it...maybe even with Epilogue at the end.

Wouldn't it be sweet if they were to play albums in their entireties at live shows. Who wouldn't want to hear Still Life, Blackwater Park, or Ghost Reveries complete at a show? I think that'd be badass.

As for the Morningrise tunes, I saw them play To Bid You Farewell the first time I saw them, and it blew me away. I can't even imagine what those albums would sound like with good production. Simply amazing.

Theres a lot of these songs that I would kill to see live. One of those that was already debated is BTPISIO. That one would be great to hear, the only thing I guess would fuck them up is the effects on the vocals.

Something that really caught me off guard is when you listen to it for a while at the end, and you start to here one of the verses from Masters Apprentices in revearse. When I heard that I got a little bit paranoid.