Benighted ever played live?? Why not?

blistering skies

New Metal Member
Oct 26, 2006
I have seen them several time but never heard Benighted live. Not even during their acoustic sets. Anyone heard the song live or know why they are not playing it.

I think this song is outstanding and can not grasp why it was not played during the acoustic tour.

Any US heavy heads around, especially around the Boston area?

Accoustic tour? That was to promote Damnation, wasn't it? And Music for Nations didn't want them playing any songs from albums prior to BWP, because they weren't with MfN back then. Accoustic songs are hard to play at a metal concert, because you always get dickheads who can't behave and won't shutup. All you end up hearing is a bunch of fags screaming for something heavier.

ha ha, yes you might be right. Funny thing with Opeth is that the band can appeal to people who like alot of other music as well but I guess ultimately at concerts the head need to bang. I however always liked the extremes, from the heavy to the softer, even jazzier. I think they are going in the right direction with the last album. I also love that a band can dare to be pretentious in this day and age and do concept albums etc.

~random~ said:
Accoustic tour? That was to promote Damnation, wasn't it? And Music for Nations didn't want them playing any songs from albums prior to BWP, because they weren't with MfN back then. Accoustic songs are hard to play at a metal concert, because you always get dickheads who can't behave and won't shutup. All you end up hearing is a bunch of fags screaming for something heavier.

You're entirely wrong about the MFN part, thats only for the DVD. They played face of melinda during the acoustic set as well as To bid you farewell. Unfortunately, Benighted hasnt graced our ears yet.

I do not get that...why not play it? Most Opeth fans must like the slow sets, otherwise they would still be out there just banging their heads to Pantera (no disrespect, i love them too). I think the song is just perfect, I would put it up there with stairway to heaven for heavy heads or like yesterday for pop heads...

what do you think?

~random~ said:

Oh man I love Lars' face on the third frame in your sig.

Reactions: in_absentia
I have a couple of audio *ahem* files from the acoustic set they did in Detroit and France at LaLocomotive and they DID play Benighted as well as TBYFW. Fantastic live :) wish they'd play it and Harvest more live, but yes, it probably is hard for them to play those to a "metal" crowd as you say.

PS nice 12 oz mouse pic ;)

blistering skies said:
ha ha, yes you might be right. Funny thing with Opeth is that the band can appeal to people who like alot of other music as well but I guess ultimately at concerts the head need to bang. I however always liked the extremes, from the heavy to the softer, even jazzier. I think they are going in the right direction with the last album. I also love that a band can dare to be pretentious in this day and age and do concept albums etc.

0h 0k jaZz tenEncies~~!!!1

yes indeedy they've played it live like folks have said. anyone wanting to hear it could pm me. complete with an extended middle section with a solo from Per

blistering skies said:
I have seen them several time but never heard Benighted live. Not even during their acoustic sets. Anyone heard the song live or know why they are not playing it.

I think this song is outstanding and can not grasp why it was not played during the acoustic tour.

Any US heavy heads around, especially around the Boston area?

As far as I know, they played it on all the shows on the damnation tour, they sure did when I saw them. My guess is they only replaced it with harvest on the dvd cause they didn't have the rights to still life material.

They played Benighted at Vienna's Arena Club during so called mellow tour in the fall of 2003 ( to be exact, the gig was held on 30th September). In a word, they made a fabulous performance on that day, playing entire Damnation album and five additional tracks : Face of Melinda, Benighted, Harvest, To Bid You Farewell and Deep Purple's Soldier of Fortune.

Cheers!

Yeah Benighted was a great surprise for me on the Damnation Tour.
Harvest wasn't played at our show, but that's fine with me.
Benighted, Face of Melinda & TBYF are much better songs IMO

Correct. Face of Melinda and ESPECIALLY To Bid You Farewell are the best things I've ever seen/heard live. You could have heard a pin drop after TBYF, it just blew everyone's face off, even the obnoxious drunken porcupine tree fans who'd been yelling through the rest of Opeth's set from the bar.