Wreath

estimate said:
Ignorant finish fool.
He's not ignorant. He made a perfectly valid point and one that I, for the most part agree with. That bassline is one of the only redeeming points of it IMO and the rest is just the same 'loop riff A for 2 minutes then change overdub' that most of Deliverance is comprised of.

mbarys said:
Anyways, I was listening to a few songs and then Wreath came on. I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed that the vocals are very aggressive and "mean" on that song. Does anyone else agree or disagree? I can just hear a very angry tone in that song unlike any other one I've heard.Matt
That's the whole point. The album in general was supposed to sound aggressive and "mean". Wreath is a song to let you know that D1 is quite different than D2, heh.

estimate said:
Ignorant finish fool.

I admit the song is a grower, yeah. But you shouldn't cast such malicious words towards us finns, since we are so northern and true :D

Ok, I didn't like the song the first time.. or the second time either.. it took a bit of getting used to. I dig it, and I don't blame any of you for NOT digging it. peace and amen (and all sorts of things...)

Apprentice's Master said:
That's the whole point. The album in general was supposed to sound aggressive and "mean". Wreath is a song to let you know that D1 is quite different than D2, heh.

To me, The Funeral Portrait sounds mean. Wreath sounds like they ran out of ideas.
Just saying.

TheFourthHorseman said:
To me, The Funeral Portrait sounds mean. Wreath sounds like they ran out of ideas.
Just saying.

I think it's kinda opposite. The Funeral Portrait is a little bit too straight forward. Wreath is so dynamic and exploring, I discover something new each time I listen to it.

estimate said:
I think it's kinda opposite. The Funeral Portrait is a little bit too straight forward. Wreath is so dynamic and exploring, I discover something new each time I listen to it.

:guh:
We really do think differently.

Just listen to that riff at 1:16 in The Funeral Portrait. It's fucking METUL! :p Also, the lyrics are much better, as are Mikael's vocals...and the clean vocals at the end are the frosting on the cake. "Dynamic and exploring" my ass. :p Opinions are so much fun. :)

i agree with both of you. at first i thought wreath was a little bit dull, but the more i listened to it the more i got outta it. Now i like it lots, but i can see why it doesnt appeal to everyone

TheFourthHorseman said:
:guh:
We really do think differently.

Just listen to that riff at 1:16 in The Funeral Portrait. It's fucking METUL! :p

Yes, the riff at 1:16 is heavy. I always liked that riff for it's heaviness. But well, thats like it :) (and the solos!)

The middle of Wreath has great atmosphere. I dunno. I really like all of Opeth's underrated songs.

Wreath has some awesome parts in it, it is underrated. Besides the intro riff and the one around the 3 min mark, it totally kicks ass. I agree that riff has a good atmosphere, I just dont like the riff. The solos are bad ass too.. makes me wonder if Mike can play his solo lol. Bad ass song though.. would be good live. The riff after the second solo rapes btw, that lead part is awesome. Whoever said bad things about The Funeral Portrait should be shot. That song is one of their more faster paced songs to me, and all the guitar riffs and solos kick ass beyond anything.

yea but all those wierd ass harmonics and stuff.. maybe its some effect or hell i dont know how he does it, just didnt think they could reproduce it live.

i didnt really like it much at first, but it grew on me like a rash. same deal with By the Pain, but that took a little longer. both are masterfully done, but took some getting used to.