Wreath

It's ok, I think it is more overshadowed by the next two songs then anything else. I don't love it but don't hate it, but I DO usually skip it and go to deliverance and a fair judgement.

Personally I think the unsung hero of that album is Masters Apprentice. The first riff IS SO HEAVY and it has some great parts.

As to lyrics, Deliverance and A Fair Judgement have brilliant lyrics in my opinion. Havn't paid much attention to the rest of them though. I also found damnation to be pretty good in that area.

I don't know if I'm pulling this out of my ass..

but the first solo in Wreath reminds me of the first solo in Windowpane (both opening tracks that start with W..) - am I out on a limb here?

Another thing I love.. when it cuts to a single guitar doing that climbing melody, in the middle parts. It's so bleak sounding, it reminds me of stuff on Brave Murder Day.

Worst Opeth Song.

(Well, with the exception of the Demo's)

This in NOT neccesarily to say that it is a BAD song however.... It's just monotonous..... and the whole 'sound spectrum' seems to be overcrowded to me..... (This 'overcrowding' only really works for me if the track has an OMINOUS or OVERBEARING sense to it... which it doesn't, in this case)

And when I say 'ominous' and 'overbearing', think of some of the Towsend/SYL tracks... where there's something 'Bigger' or more menacing in the background, carrying the song.

Not that I'm a critic or anything! :D :oops:
Spike

Spike said:
Worst Opeth Song.

(Well, with the exception of the Demo's)

This in NOT neccesarily to say that it is a BAD song however.... It's just monotonous.....

This is the same criticism I see of Brave Murder Day lot. Repetitive can work very well if done right as in BMD. Wreath is an awesome song, I get the same kinda feelings I do from the song Brave; both give me major boners. :D

I hadn't listened to Deliverance in a couple of months and when I put it on Wreath sounded so much better than it had, Deliverance too. A Fair Judgement is the track off Deliverance that doesn't really do it for me...
(Wreath is great :D)