mikes vocals on wreath

Sep 19, 2005
Belfast
in my opinions mikes vocals are heavier and more agresive in wreath than any opeth track i can think off,
really growly and almost cackilly if you know what i mean.
the solo at 5:06 is also one of there best imo:headbang:

I was not prepared for Wreath the first time I played Deliverance. I had barely put my headphones on and - "UUUAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!" I was expecting the graduall cresendo that they had been doing since Morningrise.

So yea, Wreath is Opeth's heaviest song. The thing inthis song that most impressed me was the drumming.

Playing Wreath straight after Damnation/Weakness fucking kicks ass

Deliverance was released before Damnation, but still....

The death vocals have always been my problem with Deliverance. It seems like Mike was kind of losing his death voice during that recording - if you listen to the high screams, it is almost like he could not do it. An example I used before...listen to when he says "endless night" or "movement behind" and then listen to the way he says "glass" from April Ethereal or the high scream right before "enough of this, you will leave me now" in The Funeral Portrait.

It confuses me because Mike recorded Resurrection Through Carnage basically at the same time, yet the vocals are so much different (there are not that many effects on his voice for it to change so drastically).

I still love Deliverance, I am certainly not one of those people that think it was a wasted effort, but I wish the death vocals could be rerecorded.

But yeah, Wreath is pretty damn brutal.