Wreath: "1:50"

What do you think about Wreath's "1:50" - 3:30 segment?

• Absolutely brilliant!!!

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Well, it's alright...

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Honestly, it sucks...

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
So I hear Deliverance comes out tomorrow here in NA....I am awaiting with much anticipation....I just cannot wait! The day is near.....

Anyway, this here thread is about a song off of Delievrance that goes by the title of Wreath - which is the ONLY song I allowed myself to check out off the album. In fact, I swore I would not listen to anything until I bought the album first, but curiosity caught a hold of me.....and I chose the FIRST song (in which a friend, changso, stated it is definitely not the best on the CD...in fact, I wouldn't be surprised....)

Anyway, overall this song I feel is average. I love the drums at the beginning, the way they kick off the song, but the opening riff I couldn't really care less for....sure it's good, but for Opeth I'm not impressed cause they have done so much better previously.

So, then I continue listening and all the sudden my jaw drops to the floor in shock...it gets to 1:50 and I am blown away by the stunning riff! Honestly, this is good stuff indeed! Comes outta nowhere, but wow! So melodic and haunting, I just cannot fully describe it....really made an impression on me, that's for certain. And, even the part right after as the vocals come in just compliments that part even further....roughly 1:50 - 3:30 is truly remarkable music. But still, it's unfortunate the rest doesn't really impress like this part....so, it's like a half & half thing.....an average song with a killer part in it. Man, I wish the entire song was just PERFECT for me, but it's not quite there.....I listened to it about 20 times or so now, and my opinion on the song remains the same......

The two solos in the song are pretty damn good, with the first one around 5 min. being the better one IMO for the haunting mood it creates....the whole atmosphere overall to me oozes greatness from that solo. And, the brief clean vocal part near the end gives out a whole haunted kinda feel, which I like.....

So, in the end it is a good song, but definitely not superb except for the 1:50 - my fave part! The intro, something about it, just kinda ruins a song that should have been AWESOME (the riff and vocals at the beginning I just don't like too much), and soon after this terrific riff comes out and it doesn't seem like it fits all together....I don't know. With this song, it's like I absolutely adore it, and then in a way I just don't care for it.....

Well, these are my thoughts and opinions so if anyone wants to share some light on this, please by all means do so.....

I'm still expecting the album to be awesome overall.....I mean, BWP has 8 songs and out of those I don't like 2, so who knows, right?

Wreath is my favorite song on the album. As for the 1:50-3:30... it's good. Not Brilliant. My favorite part in that song is 9:02-10:35 but especially the 10:06-10:35 with the low and high vocals together. In fact.. this may be my favorite moment in the whole album...

Heh, I said I woudn't download anything either, but I couldn't resist and downloaded "masters apprentices." I made sure it was something near the end, so when it kicks in it has that familiar feeling.

A bunch of the Wreath riffs make me think of some kind of waltz, or something. That's my favorite one from the song. Well, those two in there.. and then that solo after. And then the part with the weird quiet howling, and the hand drums, and the end- how CAN'T a person like the song? The opening/closing riff is weird but in a nice way.

Well, it's definatly a great song IMO...but definatily my least favorite on the album (except for the instrumental song). That riff you mentionned is simply stunning indeed and I agree that the first 5 minutes of the song are the finest ones...thanks to that hunting atmosphere only Opeth can create within a note or 2. On the other hand, it seems that the other part's (6:00 - 9:00) going into jeopardy... The last 3 min are awesome IMO.

Anyway, maybe the lyrics will change my perspective on the overall song...as it often does.

I'll tell you my final verdict tomorrow...if HMV has it!

I think of the start of Wreath as having a marching type of feel to it, and then when that riff comes in at 1:50 it sorta switches into cruise mode. I reckon it's great, and this song has some of my favourite solos on it; as someone said above, that one at about 5 mins is great, and the later one is almost as good.

Its my least favourite song.(again except instrumental)....pretty plain.
My preference.
1. Deliverance.
2. A Fair Judgement
3. Master's Apprentices
4. By the pain I see in others
5. Wreath
6. Instru

Well, I've only heard the cd for the last two days. Although not my instant first love (track 3).... but as of today, Wreath has become my life! I fucking love this song! it's so fucking brilliant...i cant think of nothing but Wreath, i'm totally obsessed with this song today. I'ts playing now and I've had 4 big Sams i can't tell you how fucking killer this song is. :p :p :p :p :p

wreath is great..at first it was my least favorite, but i paid little attention to that fact because i know initial listens are but false impressions. anywho, the soloing in that song is great, i love the arabian/middle eastern feel. i think its really a good opener, for two reasons. one it kind of takes off where blackwater park the song ends, with the usage of similar effects, specifically the haunting atmoshperic part, if u get me, u may not. secondly, i like how his clean vocals come in at the end, its kind of a welcoming to the rest of the cd. great tune!

I;m glad to see this song getting some recognition!! I liked it the least at first as well...but y'know, my least fav on the CD is actually probably the song Deliverance, its not as good as the others in my opinion. Wreath really grows on you, it has such an awesome atmosphere and rythhm...sounds kind of nightmarish as well! Kind of like some morbid march into doom or something. Its been the song I've found myself listening to the most lately.

As for the riff at 1:50...I love it, my favourite riff on Deliverance...even when I didn't like Wreath so much I still thought that.

I don't understand why so much people on this board said they didn't like this song... I got Deliverance last saturday, and this is one of the 2 songs that more impressed me, with the great "Fair judgment"... really awesome !! ;)

i made a riff exactly like that before i even heard it. it was completly similar. i even made a thread about it in the off topic forum....... it was supposed to be MY band, NOT opeth! :mad:

Originally posted by NightSilentWater
Wreath is my favorite song on the album. As for the 1:50-3:30... it's good. Not Brilliant. My favorite part in that song is 9:02-10:35 but especially the 10:06-10:35 with the low and high vocals together. In fact.. this may be my favorite moment in the whole album...

Damn... you too, eh? 100% exactly the same here.

I agree. There really are no words to describe it, as someone said a few posts up. So many things come to mind visually when I hear this part. So many feelings, too. I honestly think that section sums up what Opeth are trying to do with this album emotionally. This is definitely the most desperate sounding Opeth CD to date.

This riff, emotionally, reminds me so much of the "drone" riff in Dirge for November. It's so fucking hypnotic. And it can convey a myriad of emotions-- rage, lnnging, -desperation-, guilt.

Those two riffs, coupled with the 2:13 riff in The Twilight is My Robe, and the intro of Serenity Painted Death, evoke such a fire within me. I mean, this is why people make music-- to achieve moments like this.

Originally posted by Elysian Blaze
I agree. There really are no words to describe it, as someone said a few posts up. So many things come to mind visually when I hear this part. So many feelings, too. I honestly think that section sums up what Opeth are trying to do with this album emotionally. This is definitely the most desperate sounding Opeth CD to date.

This riff, emotionally, reminds me so much of the "drone" riff in Dirge for November. It's so fucking hypnotic. And it can convey a myriad of emotions-- rage, lnnging, -desperation-, guilt.

Those two riffs, coupled with the 2:13 riff in The Twilight is My Robe, and the intro of Serenity Painted Death, evoke such a fire within me. I mean, this is why people make music-- to achieve moments like this.

True.