Write left-handed, play guitar/etc. right-handed?

Jan 10, 2005
Weird shit. I have always written/drawn/painted/use fork with my left hand, but when it comes to everything else (sports, guitar, using a mouse, etc.) I do it right-handed. It's not out of a need to save money by avoiding left-handed instruments, I never even tried a lefty guitar, it's just how I've always done. I even play drums right-handed, meanwhile I airdrum left handed usually :zombie:

I remember when I was much younger, like 15 years ago or whatever age you learn cursive at (yikes!), in grade school I could write in cursive with both hands, at the same time too. I think I just stopped doing that one day back then and just used my left hand and it stuck that way. Growing up I always played sports right-handed, baseball/basketball/hockey/football/blablabla. Whenever I would try to do it left-handed I would throw the ball like a girl and whatnot :lol: I dunno, just thought I would share all that. Curious if anyone else here is like that too.

I'm totally left-handed, but never got around buying a leftie gtr.. (back in the day -15 yrs ago- 99% of those were plain horrible-lookin' Yamahas, and turning a gtr upside down seemed really weird, at the time)
Some college teacher of mine (a locally renowned/good one, actually) once told me years ago how I could have gotten so much further gtr-wise, if I ever picked up a leftie.. who knows..

Still gonna buy one some day, hopefully..

knowing a few people with the same constellation, - more often the case than one might think, i dare to say (with guitarists "IA" Eklundh comes to mind).

when i have absolute beginner students i always ask them for a little air guitar show for me, to find out what kind of guitar they need.

Play guitar and write lefty, but play drums righty.

Looking back I should have just done guitar righty from the start, would have saved me a big headache looking for guitars to buy. :err: Too late now though.

I don't really think there's actually a choice at the beginning between right or left, it just comes naturally to each person depending on the way your brain works.

As a guitar tutor for over 15 years and a lefty myself I can honestly say a left handed guitar is as useful as a left handed piano. With an instrument that requires the use of both the left and right hand in equal measures it is impossible to say it is a right or left hand instrument. I was given a right handed guitar to learn on and I have never found it an issue. If you have never played an instrument before you cannot be already swayed one way or another. Given the right tutor, it should be possible for a lefty to learn on a right hand guitar, and equally easy for a right hander to learn on a lefty.

More on topic, it seems more common for lefties to be able to use both hands than right handers using there left hand. I would think this is because the majority of the 'world' is set up for right handed people and we just learn to adapt, I tried using a left handed vege peeler in my left hand.... and couldn't do it lol.

Weird shit. I have always written/drawn/painted/use fork with my left hand, but when it comes to everything else (sports, guitar, using a mouse, etc.) I do it right-handed. It's not out of a need to save money by avoiding left-handed instruments, I never even tried a lefty guitar, it's just how I've always done. I even play drums right-handed, meanwhile I airdrum left handed usually :zombie:

I remember when I was much younger, like 15 years ago or whatever age you learn cursive at (yikes!), in grade school I could write in cursive with both hands, at the same time too. I think I just stopped doing that one day back then and just used my left hand and it stuck that way. Growing up I always played sports right-handed, baseball/basketball/hockey/football/blablabla. Whenever I would try to do it left-handed I would throw the ball like a girl and whatnot :lol: I dunno, just thought I would share all that. Curious if anyone else here is like that too.

Hey! I´m EXACTLY the same^^ I started out writing with both hands in grade school and switched hands when one hand got tired... Now I´m basically right handed but I play sports that involve some kind of bat left handed. I´m glad that I play right handed guitar, but sometimes I ask myself if I´d be a better guitarist if I´d have played left handed guitars from the beginning.

... it should be possible for a lefty to learn on a right hand guitar, and equally easy for a right hander to learn on a lefty.

i think i disagree here. that's why i mentioned new students to mimic holding a guitar (or let them play air guitar). there is something like a natural preference which makes it a bit easier especially in the beginning.
it's not really important if they are left/right handed in the official sense, but where that preference lays.

I am almost the same, too, besides that cursive/both hand part :D
The strange thing is, that all the sports I do with my hands (basketball, football and so on)
I do right-handed (as a lefty) but if I play soccer, I am left-footed :D
But it's good for me to do almost everything right handed because I broke my left arm a few
times, if you count every break I broke my left arm 7 times and my left pinky, so it would
suck to do everything as a lefty :D

I don't really believe totally in dominant handedness. I understand at an early age, we tend to go with what feels more natural initially, but I do not accept the idea that one cannot be as equally proficient at something with the other hand with enough time and practice with motor skills (also 'right footed' btw)

Even though, I'm 'right handed' as such, certain things I find more natural to do with my left hand.
For example, one activity in my life, weight lifting, neither hand/foot is more proficient than the other (for say, doing dumbell work or one leg calf raises/squats which require the use of an individual hand/leg/foot at a time), simply because an equal amount of time had been devoted to each to practice the necessary movements required.
When we type on a keyboard, surely one hand isn't necessarily more proficient than the other? I feel my hands are equally good at the task.
I also tend to change the hands I use on the mouse quite frequently, just out of a sheer strange habit, and again, both hands are equally as able.

I'm normally left handed. But I had the misfortune to spend my first 2 years of schooling in a Catholic school, where they had some kind of nutjob prejudice towards eating left-handed and I was forced to switch (damn christians!). Since then I've always been a bit one way or the other. If I'm eating with a single spoon/fork I'll hold it in my left. Same with handwriting. I play guitar & drums right handed though, and use my right hand for various other activities such as holding scissors or hand tools and the like. I also have my PC mouse on the right hand.

I still think it depends on the individual. I'm a lefty and personally I've never felt like I had a choice which way I'll learn to play guitar, righthanded guitars felt as awkward and "wrong" as lefthanded guitars feel for you right handed guys.

Right handed, but when I used to skate/snowboard I was 'goofy-foot;.
When I (try to) play drums, I use my left hand for the hi-hat, as it makes more sense than to cross your hate hand over your snare hand.

Wow, I write right handed. Hammer left handed (construction). Play guitar right handed, play baseball right handed, and bat left handed. Shoot pool with either :loco: I thought I was just weird!!! I was in a band where my other guitarist played left handed but strung his guitar right handed. We'd switch guitars mid song in some tunes and people who didn't know just FREAKED!!! Hahahaha