Writting lyrics.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Is a bastard. I don't know how anyone does it on a regular basis. I just smashed out some song lyrics (only took me a month to do it :lol:) and I'm not usually this harsh on my work but holly fuck what crap. :lol:

I guess I should expect crap tacular lyrics on my first go?

I have a friend down in Nashville that can whip out lyrics in under 10 mins. I have no idea how that prick does it. :lol:

I guess he had a huge jump on me (he started back when we where in middle school), but dammit lyrics are hard, and good ones are fucking impossible apparently.

fuck yeh man i recently started singin in a band and fuck i hate rightin lyrics one cuz i feel like weird writting out my opinions an shit it just seems weird. Generally i record the songs first then figure out what tones im gona use....basically i scream nonsensical vowels then i put words to it, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

You and I speak through music and guitar... others through words... it takes some practice... I can muster up small chunks of lyrical content, like a verse or a chorus... but MY difficulty is in the vocal melody... vocal melodies end up turning into blazing guitar solos... stuff no one could sing... or should, for that matter...

Keep at it.

What I find reeeeally helps is to outline a general 'goal' or 'subject' for the song. Listen to the instrumental a bit, figure out what kind of mood gives off/suggests, and then pick a topic like "not putting up with peoples shit" or "shes a whore and i'm better than that" or "look, that cat's ass is way too big for him to have his own TV show" or .......

What I find reeeeally helps is to outline a general 'goal' or 'subject' for the song. Listen to the instrumental a bit, figure out what kind of mood gives off/suggests, and then pick a topic like "not putting up with peoples shit" or "shes a whore and i'm better than that" or "look, that cat's ass is way too big for him to have his own TV show" or .......

:lol:

That or you can create a story or keep it more abstract.

I'd like to think I'm an ok lyricist, there are sets of lyrics that I've written in 10 minutes and been happy with, but most of the time I rehash and rehash over them for months and I can guarantee that 9/10 ideas won't see the light of day because I'm not feeling them.

My 2 cents on lyrics:

For a more commercial lyrical feel you'll want your verses to be less conclusive lyrically (more narrative) and your choruses to be more reflective orientated and conclusive.

Consider the classic womens anthem "I will survive" as the perfect example of this:

Verse

First I was afraid
I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live
without you by my side
But I spent so many nights
thinking how you did me wrong
I grew strong
I learned how to carry on
and so you're back
from outer space
I just walked in to find you here
with that sad look upon your face
I should have changed my stupid lock
I should have made you leave your key
If I had known for just one second
you'd be back to bother me

Chorus.

Go on now go walk out the door
just turn around now
'cause you're not welcome anymore
weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye
you think I'd crumble
you think I'd lay down and die
Oh no, not I
I will survive
as long as i know how to love
I know I will stay alive
I've got all my life to live
I've got all my love to give
and I'll survive
I will survive

The verse here is more feelings orientated (non conclusive) - "I was afraid, I was petrified" and introduces the concept of the song, whilst the chorus relies more on statements and commands "I will survive" "I've got all my love to give" "Walk out the door".

Lyrically, bridges are usually a further clarification of emotions after the second chorus, if you can imagine elucidating emotionally on the point of the song, they're more similar to verses in that they need to lack conclusion again, because you're if you're usually about to stick in that conclusive last double chorus you need to let the energy dissipate slightly so you can build it up again.

Don't try to inject profoundity though, because it will always end up coming off as insincere - a lyric doesn't always have to be complex either, if you've got a melodically complex song and you want to lay emphasis on that then its usually better to keep the lyrics fairly simple otherwise they'll fight with the song. Too much of a good thing cheapens everything, so if you can avoid it don't stick too much in. Having said that don't set out to write weak lyrics, just make them fit for purpose.

But yeah, as with anything else it's a matter of practice.

guess it depends for what kind of music the lyrics should be, also in metal.
like i guess in powermetal its enough the figure out some stuff with a bitch and a dragon...and a sword of course ;)
with grindcore i guess u can just open up some dictionary as search for br00tal w00rdz ;)
the things that Öwen pointet out pretty much nailed it though.

for me the hardest part is when I come up with 3/4 of the lyrics in 10minutes, and like only a view sentences are missing...PITA.

Fun fact: my favorite lyrics from this pop punk EP I produced this summer ended up being based off Silent Hill, but you'd never know unless someone told you. Maybe something to try? FFVII lyrics would be legiiiit!

I don't like "plain" lyrics that leave no room for imagination. I often write in far-stretched metaphors, circulating a theme. It's actually spot on but it leaves much room for interpretation.

It's exactly what you think it's about, but it really isn't.

I have to dig up some lyrics from our old singer, you guys will piss yourselves laughing and cringing and the same time.

The hardest part about writing lyrics is your inner critic. You really have to just write whatever comes to mind and not think about if it's bad or good, JUST WRITE IT and then later you can decide to use it or not. Write 1000 songs and you may find a few that you like. Don't write great, or good songs, JUST WRITE.

You may want to check out 'THE FRUSTRATED SONGWRITER'S HANDBOOK', it has some cool ideas to kill your inner critic.

Personally, I work better when someone gives me a song and I improve upon it.

I recently did an album for Solo Album Month and amazingly enough wrote lyrics. I didn't care if anyone liked it or not, I was just having fun and I really like the tunes I came up with. Do it for you, not for anyone else. album - http://www.sloanstewart.com

Random thoughts.

I've suddenly found myself writing (most of) the lyrics for our band.
I don't write lyrics for any particular song, I just write stuff down and then usually our singer/songwriter Niko decides what fits where. I do write 'em like lyrics, not prose. I have some rhythm going in the back of my mind.

I write in bursts, I dunno why. Some idea or a line/sentence just sets of a spark and I write it all in (nearly) one sitting.
Sometimes the original idea is not the final one. It happens. Also, I'm really "seasonal", at times I come up with nothing, then a few months later I might write shitloads. (By my standards!)

If I can, I write every line and verse I can come up with, even if I don't use it in anywhere. Mobilephones come in handy!

Mind you, I'm not saying what I write is the next Merchant of Venice, but that's not the point.
Write first, edit later. I've had to change lines and words right up to the time they're about to be sung.

I guess it's the same as with composing, you just have to keep doing it. Most of it might be crap but there might be one or three that are passable. :)

Reading a lot helps, you might get inspired and usually can borrow or, yes, outright steal a few great sentences/lines! :saint: