[WTB] Mobile/Field Recorder

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey guys ...

I purchased a Line 6 Backtrack a couple of months ago and never really used it, because I was far from impressed by it's sound-quality (other than that, it's functionality is too limited). So, now I need a new mobile recorder to track band-rehearsals.

Of course I know about the almighty Zoom H2, but it's very long boot-time isn't acceptable (11 sec.), as I also want to use it as a quick "riff-dictaphone". That being said - it has to be very small, too.

I want to spend max. ~200€ (maybe more, if it's worth it).
Must-Have-Features:
- Quick startup-time
- small
- of course - good sound-quality

Thanks for every input!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_r16.htm

One of my work buddies is getting this for portable recording (classical stuff) - and we currently use an Edirol R44.

Neither of these are really built for "dictaphone" use - but they're both great little units.

Haha ... Dude, I should have mentioned that I'm looking for handheld-units (aka. size of a cigarette-pack).
Thanks nonetheless ;)

I have an HD2 and I love it. The difference in quality between it and other units is worth the 11seconds boot time.

Hmm... what other units did you test?

I was also looking into the Olympus LS-5 ... does anyone know that?

I have had the Zoom, Alesis and jut some knock off brand. The HD'2 quality was FAR superior to the no name one and better then the Alesis. Im am not going to say it was 1000 times better but there was a clear difference in the way the Alesis handled low end v the zoom. The Zoom is VERy clean.

I have a Zoom H4N that I love. Yeah the boot-up time is a bit long. 11 seconds isn't bad though. Mine takes longer than that since I have a 16GB card in it. I just know to start it first while I get my guitar set-up, and then let it run the whole time. Since I set mine to go to MP3's, I have rehearsals and riffs for months. If you plug it in or use rechargeable batteries keeping it on all the time is the way to roll.

It is a little bit bulky and it sounds probably as good as possible for being what it is. You are essentially recording with a stereo mic in the room. But you can run the XLR's from a board as well.

For riff writing, I actually will often just use the onboard amp sims and plug straight into it. Then I use the 4-track on board.

Umm... for other stuff, I have been using my Droid X for when I don't have my H4N with me. Others I know use their iPhone or iPod touch. The trick is keeping it from distorting, but there are lots of accessories for the apple stuff that I assume would help with that.