XP installation question

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
I have aquired a set of 3 XP recovery cds, and was hoping to use them to put XP on my PC (am currently running 98, second edition I think), but the first cd only has a large .img file on it, and I don't know what to do with it/if I can do anything with it. Any ideas?

You can't. That's why they're called recovery disks.

Usually you'd get 'em with a laptop, and one of those disks would come from the maker and you'd boot off that disk and choose the "Recover" option, which would then blow away your hard disk and put the original configuration on it. I think that's what the .img file would be: an image of the original disk that came with a laptop.

<standard disclaimer>
'course, I could be wrong...
</standard disclaimer>

Where'd you get them from, Blitz? Anything else written on them?

XP is plop. Everyone has it on their computers here at uni, except me, and they're always having problems with it. If it's not a virus, it's some other shit. I have a dodgy old bastard of a computer with Windows 2000 installed and it works great, it still even has a Year 2000 Friendly sticker on it. That is quality.

Use windows 2000 Jordy, it's the pinnacle of windows OS's.

Plus, your pc probably won't be able to run XP, it will just hog system resources that could be used for better things.

If it's an img file, it needs to be burnt to a CD to run as a normal CD... You can do it with any CD creating software with a few mouse clicks.. Just copy it across to your hard drive, and then burn the img file using the software :)

Yes, yes. Listen to young Koichi, you must.

yoda-13.jpg

Hey Blitz.. I'll check again when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I've got working copy of XP somewhere which I could forward to you. :)

phlogiston said:
2000 is good and all, but they're end-of-life-ing it shortly, so whatever. *shrug*

That means I still have another 5 years before publishers stop making stuff for the platform.

When it become obsolete, it's linux 100% of the time.