Yamaha SKRM?

jjlaitinen

New Metal Member
Sep 25, 2014
Espoo, Finland
Does anyone have experience using this Yamaha SubKick reverse-wired "speaker microphone" to pick up extra low end on the kick? Is there a significant improvement in tone when combining with a standard kick mic or is it fairly subtle difference? Do you find it makes easier to keep the kick and bass distinct in the mix?
(I´ve been mostly recording e-drums or acoustic drums with very limited number of mics, now I´m just starting to record more "fully miked" drums.)

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/accessories/lowfreq/skrm-100sfv/

I just recently turned a pretty cheap 10" speaker to act as a mic and i love the added bass information I can play with. I too just recently started taking micing the drums more seriously and found this little thing to really add some depth to my kick sound.

I have a sennheiser e602II and while it's a great mic, i like the fact that i don't have to raise the sub frequencies by a ton when there's the sub kick signal also.

i don´t have one, but once got to mix a song with it. didn´t give me anything that a normal mic couldn´t deliver just as well, just some low-end thump without anything else. since i usually get to boost the presence area of a kick, more low-end really isn´t all that necessary anyway.

if you want to have one, build your own :)
get a cheap 12" tom, any 6-10" speaker with low resonance frequency (fs) well under 100hz, an XLR connector and a stand.

e: i got the e602 as well, and i think it does spit out heaps of low-end :)

I like using the subkick if I have the inputs available.. Build your own though, the Yamaha is hugely overpriced!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the 602 has some really nice low end on it's own. and I too ended up reducing the lows when I tested my mics a while ago, but that was mainly to get rid of something pillow-like around 100-150hz. Then I added the subkick in and it gave some really nice stuff really low. This might be pointless for faster double bass runs etc, but for the slower drums it was golden.

In short.. Yeah, don't buy one, but build one and see if you like it for your self. I actually connected it to a 6,3mm guitar cable and ran it to a line input so it wouldn't be too hot of an input.