Years end roundup

NvmbrsDoom5

Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
Hey there.....as everyone who regularly browses this forum has probably noticed, I like to ask people what their best and worst lists are, regarding music or whatever. I thought it would be interesting to hear about what everyone's thoughts were on this past year, such as your favorite cds of '02, favorite shows you attended, favorite flicks, books, whatever! So make your lists or just ramble about your interests or even things you hated about this past year....I'll start off with a few thoughts:

Favorite cds of 2002- Opeth-Deliverance
Queens of the Stone Age-Songs for the deaf

Favorite book- Kiss Alive Forever by Curt Gooch and Jeff Suhs

Favorite films- Spider Man, Star Trek Nemesis, Road to Perdition

Favorite shows attended- Motorhead, House of Blues May '02
Soil, Cabaret Metro August '02
Sentenced, The Rave September '02

Favorite gig performed- New England Metalfest April '02 (packed room, chaotic atmosphere, crazy idiots getting tossed offstage, good friends in attendance)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.....later I will probably talk about all the shit I hated about 2002, trust me LOL!

hm. I didn't see too many movies this year. I think Paul and Arline were with me for half of them.

Books: uh, I don't think i read any books that came out this year; I'm backtracking. Probably my fave was Catch-22. Liked it so much I'm reading Joseph Heller's autobiography/memoirs now.

cds: Neko Case - Blacklisted, Isis - Oceanic, Matt Pond PA - The Nature of Maps

shows: Neko Case w/ Jon Rauhouse @ Metro
Billy Joe Shaver (he's hilarious) @ Blueberry Hill
Isis @ Empty Bottle, Cave In @ Metro (these were 2 days apart)
open mic @ The Hideout w/ Billy Corgan, a guy from ...And you will know us by the trail of dead, a guy from Sonia Dada, Nora O'Connor, a loud guy that looked like Santana (circa 1969)

NE fest was a fun trip- decent show, aside from the fact that i had to borrow an amp at the zero hour. but it was a decent crowd, even with the crazy guy that jumped on stage. me and jodi went whale watching and i ate quahogs (which are some sort of clam, not just the town the Griffins lived in on The Family Guy).
But the most fun band trip for me was probably Detroit. Sure, the show sucked (like 4 people in front, including people we knew), but the trip was HELLA FUN. Food fight on the plane, Mike driving across all 4 lanes of traffic trying to lose Joe & Lar, and the DEBUT APPEARANCE OF MR. MAGIC BISCUIT POCKET.

ouch this is gonna be hard.

Best albums: Destroyer 666: cold steel.
opeth deliverance
satyricon: volcano
halford: crucible
immolation unholy cult
dark tranquillity: damage done

didn't read any books that came out in 2000.
best book read this year though: a brief history of time by stephan hawkins

favorite films:
the two towers

shows attended: dark tranquillity
milwaukee metalfest
immortal and manowar
new england metal and hardcore fest
Denver spring death fest 2002

shows played:
metalfest: the last moment of glory before our star known as serberus fell and fuckin imploded like a goddamn supernova :( worst moment of the year.
spring death fest. 800 people to an underground show in denver is amazing. and it was so fun and drunk

so this year has been the most trying for me ever....but im not here to write paragraphs...im here to make lists...

SOLIDS
being a father... if only physically for a few moments, cuz i still havent stopped being one and i still am very proud of what i created and how amazing he is....

me gal... she is amazing... she is strong.. and she makes me life better... and she is strong for getting thru all this....

the fact i draw breath every day.... and the fact that when i was ran off the road by some jerky jerk.. that i wasnt hurt...and i could have very easilly been killed or hurt[the meds said its pretty unheard of for a car as messed as mine was to have the person not be messed up]

pat swayze/jen gray/dvd......

the fact my bro's band is doin super good right now.....www.levalblessing.com

theendrecords.com/omega

to the newer peoples i just met this last year...thanks fer rockin me the right way....and all me old pals.... ya couldnt rock more....

me becoming more of a gothy sissy sort

claires

twin peaks and mr show on dvd

high speed internet+kazaa= me having the journey seperate ways video and icons rock and roll maniac

my job for bein super patient and super understanding and super letting-me-get-away-with-stuffnessish

half.com

operation:mindcrime still bein amazing

ron yelling at me

the fact that my emusic account was suspended cuz over 400 different hubs were shown to have used my account....you all can take a bow in that....

VISUALS
i havent watched many movies... but donnie darko may be one of the best films i have ever seen....

rock shows go in no order as follows
kreator, vader, the crown/darkest hour, the cruxshadows, claire voyant, the gwar halloween show[didnt care much for any of the bands...but the show was crazy fun], all the trouble shows[specially the barrington one], rune and novembers doom at metalfest,immortal, glassjaw/converge
SOUNDS
1 glassjaw-worship and tribute
2 grief of emerald-christian termination[cover art courtesy of shannen shaffer]
3 novembers doom-to welcome the fade
4 vader-revalations
5 [3 way tie]december wolves-blasterpiece theatre
leval blessing-s/t
the textbook traitors-you pull the strings...
6 primordial-storm before the calm
7 the crown-crowned in terror
8 nile- in these blackened shrines
9 the cruxshadows- wishfire
10 [tie] claire voyant-love is blind
high on fire-surronded by thieves

stuff i got into this year i shoulda discovered before....
system of a down,london after midnight, leatherwolf

to everyone...much love and thanks fer makin this year bearable... cuz without ya all... i dunno if i coulda pulled thru this.... there is a pasta pro in all of your futures

stay hungry all your lives.....
jason

I hate these "list" kind of things...cuz stuff is inevitably left out and I am an appreciator or so much...so the approach I try to take is just to be as brief as possible...otherwise my brain comes close to the act of exploding...

CD's:
Opeth: Deliverance
Novembers Doom: To Welcome the Fade
Alanis Morissette: Under Rug Swept

Book: Dean Koontz: From the Corner of His Eye

Shows:
Arch Enemy: The Pigsty (Clinton, Ohio) in November
Alanis Morissette: The Rave in Milwaukee
In Flames/Sentenced: The Rave in Milwaukee

Film: Spiderman

Favorites of 2002:

CD's:
Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage
Remy Shand - The Way I Feel
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Beseech - Souls Highway
Daylight Dies - No Reply
In Flames - Reroute to Remain
Opeth - Deliverence
My Dying Bride - The Voice of the Wretched

Movies:
Spider-Man
Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers
The Ring

Books:
Metal Maniacs January Issue :lol:

Shows:
Actually, I can't think of one show I attended that we didn't play.

Highlight Gigs:
New England metal fest (always a blast), Milwaukee Metal Fest, and Detroit (even though it sucked bad, it was fun as hell)

Grestest moments of 2002:

The greatest moment in 2002 (and quite possibly my entire life) was seeing the birth of my Daughter. It left me a changed man.

My trip to El Paso Texas with Neil Kernon to mix "To Welcome the Fade"

Worst moments of 2002:

My wife Arlines emergency surgery to remove a softball sized mass, when she was 21 weeks pregnant, that endangered both the life of her and the unborn baby.

Loosing feeling in both legs for 48 hours due to my condition. (Thought that was it for walking)

Sleepless nights :zombie:

albums- out of a long list if really good albums to come out this yera, Isis- Oceanic and Meshuggah- Nothing are probably the best imo

not much of a book or film fan. sorry.

CD's:
1.-Novembers Doom - to welcome the fade
2.-Sear bliss - forsaken symphony
3.-Asgaroth - red shift
4.-Agalloch - the mantle
5.-Primordial - storm before calm
6.-Rotting christ - genesis
7.-Daylight dies - no reply
8.-Grief of emerald - christian termination
9.-Limbonic Art - the ultimate death worship
10.-Rapture - songs from the withering

The deception of the year : Opeth - deliverance

CDs:
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
November's Doom - Welcome to the Fade
In Flames - Reroute to Remain
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
Peter Gabriel - Up

Shows:
Sentenced/Dark Tranquillity/In Flames at the Rave; September ?, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I've seen mentions of this gig already and that makes me happy. ShadowLioness and I trekked all the way up for that gig and it was WELL worth it. :)
Arch Enemy at the Pig Pen; November 9, Clinton, Iowa. (IOWA, girlie! :lol: )Another trek for ShadowLioness and I. Highlights of the night: the giant cock and the cheap alcohol.
Dimmu Borgir at the HoB; February ?, Chicago, Illinois. I'm not a huge Dimmu fan but it was a damned good gig.

Book:
The Field Guide to the Gods, Archer Luxley.

Moment of the Year:
When my neice Haley looked me square in the eye and said she wanted to be me when she grew up.

Moment I could have done without:
My father losing his eyesight.

Originally posted by Episode666
Arch Enemy at the Pig Pen; November 9, Clinton, Iowa. (IOWA, girlie! :lol: )Another trek for ShadowLioness and I. Highlights of the night: the giant cock and the cheap alcohol.

I just realized that I put the venue as the "Pigsty" in my post:lol: . I think I'll leave it there for the comedic value. Long live the giant cock!

Here are my top ten albums of the year
10)sinergy-suicide by my side
9)shadows fall-the art of balance
8)norther-dreams of endless war
7)agalloch-the mantle
6)opeth-deliverance
5)in flames-reroute to remain
4)thyrfing-vasinnesvisor
3)insomnium-in the halls of awaiting
2)dark tranquillity-damage done
1)blind guardian-a night at the opera.

Originally posted by Episode666
Moment of the Year:
When my neice Haley looked me square in the eye and said she wanted to be me when she grew up.
This may be cute now, but wait until she grows up and buys the same clothes as you, dates your exes, moves next door, works at the same place- like in that one movie...

Favorite cds of 2002- Opeth-Deliverance
Rotting Christ-Genesis
Bloodbath- Resurrection Through Carnage

Favorite book- I Vampyre, by Michael Romsky

Favorite films- Spider Man, The Two Towers

Favorite shows attended- Deicide Aug 2002
Lords of Acid Oct 2002

Favorite Moment- Meeting my boyfriend Justin in August

CD's: Nile-ITDS
Graveland- Memory and Destiny
Primordial- Storm before Calm

Book: American Psycho (not written in 2002, but I read it this year)

Movie: Donnie Darko (DVD release this year)
Spider-Man
Haven't seen The Two Towers yet, but I'm sure it's up there

Fave Show: Nile/Arch Enemy/Hate Eternal/Origin

Best moments: The times spent with my girlfriend.

Worst moments: times away from girlfriend. too many to list

Celeb babe of the Year: Tie between Leeann Tweeden and Amy Weber