The Official DVD Concert Thread

Maidens "Death On The Road" live in Dortmond. This DVD along with Rock In Rio are two of my fav.s. DOTR is more enjoyable...has less editing / constant camera changes than RIR.

Maidens "Death On The Road" live in Dortmond. This DVD along with Rock In Rio are two of my fav.s. DOTR is more enjoyable...has less editing / constant camera changes than RIR.

I have both of those, but prefer Rock in Rio simply for the production. It sounds much fuller than DotR on my system. In fact, there's something screwy about the 5.1 surround disc in the DotR package. It sounds tinny and shallow. I was going to return that DVD but instead let a friend borrow it to see how it played on his surround system. Verdict, he had the same issue with the surround disc. But, since he didn't pay for it, he had a clearer head (not clouded with disappointment) and tried concert disc #2 (stereo mix) and lo and behold, it sounded a lot better! And it's also in surround, not simply stereo. I am only speculating, but I'm guessing they EQed the first disc somehow and left the mix alone on the stereo disc. I can't say for sure though, as I couldn't find any audio set-up options on either disc (it just plays the discs default audio track) to test it.

In other news, I finally found the Firewind DVD available here in the States, at NEH Records, but it's $34.99 and out of my price range. I am anxiously awaiting the new Mustasch DVD as well, but that's not available anywhere in the US yet, despite it being released over a week ago. If anyone here in the States sees these DVDs for sale somewhere, please post here.

I have both of those, but prefer Rock in Rio simply for the production. It sounds much fuller than DotR on my system. In fact, there's something screwy about the 5.1 surround disc in the DotR package. It sounds tinny and shallow. I was going to return that DVD but instead let a friend borrow it to see how it played on his surround system. Verdict, he had the same issue with the surround disc. But, since he didn't pay for it, he had a clearer head (not clouded with disappointment) and tried concert disc #2 (stereo mix) and lo and behold, it sounded a lot better! And it's also in surround, not simply stereo. I am only speculating, but I'm guessing they EQed the first disc somehow and left the mix alone on the stereo disc. I can't say for sure though, as I couldn't find any audio set-up options on either disc (it just plays the discs default audio track) to test it.

I think there's a second DVD pressing of DotR where the sound is fixed. At least there was somekind of an uproar about the sound when it was originally released and the problem was acknowledged by Maiden/EMI... not sure if it was ever corrected though.

I think there's a second DVD pressing of DotR where the sound is fixed. At least there was somekind of an uproar about the sound when it was originally released and the problem was acknowledged by Maiden/EMI... not sure if it was ever corrected though.

Well, I just bought my DVD a couple months ago at Best Buy, so it's probably not an early version that's been sitting around for several years. If mine is a fixed version, they didn't do a very good job!

Agree Muz, about the Rio crowd. My god it's enormous.