The Official DVD Concert Thread

Maybe on of these days I'll have to check out one of those DVDA discs. Has anyone heard Empire (Ryche) in DVDA?

I have that. Also Aces Of Spades, Peace Sells and Metallica DVDA's a trend that caught on just about as much as dual discs....
It's pretty cool to hear the album in that capacity. You hear things that you might have otherwise missed on the direct audio version.

Like Wyv with his cassettes, Stereo is what I was raised on and what I know.

Well since I've been mentioned without copyright fees :lol:... I also into stereo, bass and treble, I don't believe in equalizers not I find any object in a 5.1 surround theatre, or a big plasma screen. I don't have the space or the reason to have any of that in my house. The only reason I have a 21" stereo TV is because my 1980 Sony 19" set died on me some months ago. And basically my DVD player is almost virginal, I have less than 25 DVDs from which 6 are concerts at the most.

The majority of my favorite concert dvd's are not available in 5.1 (or widescreen), but I have no problem watching them with 2 channel audio (+ subwoofer, of course).

One thing I don't like about 5.1 is that I can't enjoy it at low volume. I don't live in a big house so it's tough to enjoy a movie or concert at night while the kids and wife are sleeping. 2 channel audio is much better at low volume, IMO, because with 5.1 I find myself screwing with the volume every minute. It's either too low or too loud.

pm74, I have 3 DVDA's...Hotel California, Ghost Reveries, and Empire. I like DVDA's (though Sixx is right, they never caught on) because there's something to be said about the separation, the mix, and the things they can add to "bug you out", if they are done right. The plane at the end of Jet City Woman is fucking wild!! It sounds like it's flying right at you, and then it flies right over your head and fades away behind you. It also makes the walls shake! The Thin Line and Anybody Listening? are also very cool to experience in 5.1.

Some of my favs that come to mind, both 5.1 and not...

Scorpions - Wacken 2006 (unbelievable, I got goosebumps when Uli came out for Pictured Life)
Opeth - Lamentations
Iced Earth - Alive in Athens
JP - Live Vengeance '82
Dio - We Rock (the one w/Special from the Spectrum on it)
AC/DC - Plug Me In
Kissology 1, 2, 3
Slayer - War at the Warfield

I'll think of more...also waiting for the 11/11 release of Opeth - Roundhouse Tapes which was filmed in HD.

haha, I'm also a big fan of Rock Star (the movie), but for some reason, I've never been thrilled with Queensryche's concert dvd's, and I'm a big fan of theirs...I guess I prefer Livecrime.

The plane at the end of Jet City Woman is fucking wild!! It sounds like it's flying right at you, and then it flies right over your head and fades away behind you. It also makes the walls shake! The Thin Line and Anybody Listening? are also very cool to experience in 5.1.

I really wanna check that out now. Although I don't feel right about buying that album AGAIN. I already have it on CD - both original and remastered - and on cassette and three singles from the album. Maybe I'll see if someone wants to part with theirs or very cheap on ebay.

You basically covered what also bugs me about 5.1 that I forgot - the volume thing. I HATE the center channel for that reason. The voice is either too quiet or too loud and cuts above all the music and FX.

After all this surround talk I think I should hook up my back speakers, since I've moved into the new house I never put them up, too much pt coceiling the wiring, think it's about time.

Hook up them rear speakers man! It's the coolest audio experience outside of paying to go to the theatre.

Well, you're also spoiled with a 42" Plasma. :p
I'm still going off a 32" tube TV with old school DVDs, none of this fancy modern Blu Ray stuff!

Concerts I do enjoy with with a 5.1 setting, although I always find the vocals to be thin and often undermixed (the same goes with movies when the voices are only in the center speaker).

Like Wyv with his cassettes, Stereo is what I was raised on and what I know. Something just doesn't seem right about listening to Slave to the Grind in 5.1 (although who knows, it may make me appreciate the disc even more).

Maybe on of these days I'll have to check out one of those DVDA discs. Has anyone heard Empire (Ryche) in DVDA?

Yes, I'm finally spoiled on the HDTV! The center speaker really doesn't come into play much on my system. It's below the tv itself and I don't really notice it much. But if it bugs you, turn it down thru the amp or just disconnect it. To me, the center speaker is expendable, just a bell or whistle. The key is getting that right/left/front/rear quadrophonic sound.

I can totally relate to you and Wyv's attachment to old ways. I was there not that long ago. I didn't buy my first CD until 2001 ( Savatage Streets ). It was only a few months ago that my old 80s model tower speakers ( 10" woofer ) finally kicked the bucket and I got a modern system. I'm loving what I see and hear! It's a whole new way to experience music.

As for DVD-Audios, they are fantastic from what I've heard so far. My buddy Dean is getting into those so I've got to hear about 5 albums, most of them early 70s.

Right now I only have the Deep Purple Machine Head, but it sounds amazing in 5.1 ... nothing like my old 8 track or cassette versions!

One thing I don't like about 5.1 is that I can't enjoy it at low volume. I don't live in a big house so it's tough to enjoy a movie or concert at night while the kids and wife are sleeping. 2 channel audio is much better at low volume, IMO, because with 5.1 I find myself screwing with the volume every minute. It's either too low or too loud.

This statement is truly prophetic to whether surround sound lives the high life or is just an option most people ignore when they buy a DVD.

To truly experience the whole surround sound you need some leeway from those around you. If you have a wife, hopefully she likes the music as much as you do, if you have kids you might have to cram cotton in their ears. If you live in an apartment complex or a trailer park, you'd need some understanding neighbors.

I live alone, so I don't have to worry about annoying the wife or kids, but I do have neighbors and have made agreements with them, exchanging my noise for a 10 pm curfew.

The above paragraphs are my long-winded way of saying VOLUME is the key to 5.1 Surround Sound. If you can't crank it, you're missing the main benefit.

Okey my fave dvd´s
Venom-Live in London
Testament-Live in london
Iron Maiden-Live After Death
Twisted Sister-Live at Wacken Open Air
Tarot-Undead indeed
Saxon - The Saxon Chronicles
Alice Cooper-Nightmare returns
Accept - Metal Blast from the Past
I mostly watch dvds when I exercise with exercise bike when its too cold to go running outside. Or I take few drinks and watch them before I go to bar.
Now I´m looking for Loudness dvd from 80`s era.

Judas Priest- World Vengeance Tour
Metallica- Cliff em all
Queensryche- Operation Livecrime
Slayer- War at the Warfield
Warlock- Live in 85
Black Sabbath- Last Supper
The Ultimate Revenge I & II
TESTAMENT- Live in London

Umm do you guys know if Dio live at the spectrum VHS has been put onto DVD.

I really enjoyed it but it's an old tape from the 80s and it's not exactly good quality. I have a priest tape that rules too but I would imagine that is definitely on DVD, I'll get it when I have the spare cash.

The only reason I bought a DVD player in the first place was to watch concert DVDs. Here's some of my faves.
RUSH: R30 / Rush in Rio / R3 - Can never get enough live Rush!
KISS: Kissologies 1-3 - Well put together history of the band. Tons of live stuff.
Nightwish: End of an Era - Really feels like a concert and not a music video.
Heaven and Hell: Radio City - I went to to this tour, so that makes it extra special.
Iron Maiden: Live After Death - They've put out a couple of other live DVD's but this is STILL the best! Doesn't suffer from the rapid editing of the newer ones.
Uriah Heep: The Legend Continues - Great mix of old and newer songs.
Jethro Tull: A New Day Yesterday - Not a concert DVD, more like a history of the band, and as such it's very good.
Judas Priest: Electric Eye - A full concert from the 80's plus a ton of videos and vintage performances from the BBC.

It's out there at least as a bootleg. You can watch the entire 1 hour concert streaming on Google Video.
[ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3394065525584908359&ei=UxQKSczPNqO2qAO8v7D5DQ&q=Dio+Live+At+The+Spectrum&hl=en[/ame]

It's also out there on torrent site as an AVI file, but you need really fast internet to download a file that size.

That old Dio VHS IS available and it's not a bootleg. The DVD is called "We Rock" and features 2 concerts, the Spectrum and another from Holland. I have it and it's pretty good. The image quality is nothing great but acceptable.

Thanks for the info Demon! I'll be checking into that one for sure. I can understand the lack of video quality considering the time frame, but how is the audio? Is there 5.1 option?

Okay, I've gotta post about my lastest DVD acquisition. Within Temptation's Black Symphony is an absolutely amazing concert. The video and audio is as good as it gets, and the show....the show. WT with an orchestra AND a choir on a huge stage with video screen brackdrops, pyro, tons of lights and other effects.

I'm currently watching it for the second time thru, so I gotta get off the computer...

I have a priest tape that rules too but I would imagine that is definitely on DVD, I'll get it when I have the spare cash.

I also mentioned the Dio - We Rock dvd in my earlier post, and if your Priest VHS is "Judas Priest Live" from the Screaming for Vengeance tour, that is called "Live Vengeance '82" on dvd. I loved both of these concerts and watched them countless times.

The above paragraphs are my long-winded way of saying VOLUME is the key to 5.1 Surround Sound. If you can't crank it, you're missing the main benefit.

Exactly dude. I hope I wasn't misunderstood either....I do love 5.1. When the "stars are aligned", it doesn't get much better.:headbang:

I already have it on CD - both original and remastered - and on cassette and three singles from the album.

Haha, you sound like me. I have the original, remaster, 5.1, Best I Can single, and Another Rainy Night single. I bought the singles for Last Time in Paris and the acoustic version of I Dream in Infrared. Never owned Empire on cassette though. I think I stopped buying cassettes in late '87 or early '88.

Just noticed two potential must have DVDs releasing soon.

First, Firewind is supposed to have a new DVD come out in two weeks, but it's only for Europe. Couldn't find a listing for US release dates, which causes concern on two fronts; #1, probably a $30 price tag for the import (ugh, I just had to fork out $30 for the new Tarot DVD), and #2 a possible PAL only release.

Also, in late November is a DVD concert coming from Mustache. This one I'm really looking forward to as their 2007 album Latest Version of the Truth would have landed in my top 5 albums of the year if I'd actually heard it in 2007. Unfortunately I didn't discover it till this summer. This one I fully expect to have to pay import price for, and it most likely will be PAL, hopefully Region 0 which my new DVD player does well with (so far).

Kamelot - One Cold Winter's Night (excellent!)

Worst DVD: Glenn Hughes - Soulfully Live In The City Of Angels.

I was at this DVD filming done In a studio. Sat in front of Glenn with my feet practically up against his monitor, An amazing experience! There a lot of well known musicians there hanging outside but not in the studio for the filming, Maybe 40 people were inside. It was a great day & Great experience!

But the dvd is terrible, almost not watchable. They used candles for mood setting & they created a flicking light effect that did not work. Also for some reason the whole thing is out of sync, Strange. Too bad the live CD from this is outstanding!

Unfortunately a couple of tracks were lost during the recording by pro-tools so they had to do over an almost magical version of "Mistreated" you could feel all the energy drain out of the room when they told Glenn he had to it again.

First, Firewind is supposed to have a new DVD come out in two weeks, but it's only for Europe. Couldn't find a listing for US release dates, which causes concern on two fronts; #1, probably a $30 price tag for the import (ugh, I just had to fork out $30 for the new Tarot DVD), and #2 a possible PAL only release.

Cool, I'll have to check this out. Thankfully I have a DVD player that plays PAL. :) Amen to Walmart brand DVD players that aren't region sensitive.

Haha, you sound like me. I have the original, remaster, 5.1, Best I Can single, and Another Rainy Night single. I bought the singles for Last Time in Paris and the acoustic version of I Dream in Infrared. Never owned Empire on cassette though. I think I stopped buying cassettes in late '87 or early '88.

The cassette was free :p - My bass player's buddy's dad gave him two huge boxes full of 80s metal cassettes (which I happened to take) - everything from Ryche, Stryper, to Leatherwolf and Crimson Glory.