The Official DVD Concert Thread

and #2 a possible PAL only release.

What's the problem with that? Most modern DVD players are multizone/multinorm. Mine plays PAL without problem and my TV is NTSC, I have no loss of image or sound at all.

I've been thinking on that Firewind DVD but only if I get the version with the concert CD, to me DVDs are bonus the important thing is to have the concert in many cases, specially in this case where the vocals are by Apollo.

Kamelot - One Cold Winter's Night (excellent!)

Amen to that, brother! That Kamelot concert probably should have made my original list, but I forgot about it. Think I'll pull that one out tonight! Awesome audio and video, and your typical flawless Kamelot performance.

Also, I really want a Glenn Hughes concert bad, but I had read all the horrible reviews on that City of Angels DVD. The other one, recorded in Australia is an acoustic show, and I want a hard rocker.

What's the problem with that? Most modern DVD players are multizone/multinorm. Mine plays PAL without problem and my TV is NTSC, I have no loss of image or sound at all.

I've been thinking on that Firewind DVD but only if I get the version with the concert CD, to me DVDs are bonus the important thing is to have the concert in many cases, specially in this case where the vocals are by Apollo.

Here in America, most older DVD players don't play PAL. I just bought a new Samsung player and it plays PAL just fine, but my friends in Idaho and Montana can't play PAL even if it's Region 0.

From my understanding, there is no scheduled release for a stand-alone DVD for Firewind, so you'll definitely get a CD version of the concert. Here's the quote from the press release, Greek melodic metal sensation FIREWIND will unleash its first-ever live release as a DVD/2CD/Deluxe DVD+2CD in November. Entitled "Live Premonition", it contains a stunning 22-song set filmed earlier this year in the band's hometown Thessaloniki.

Not sure what the difference between the regular and "deluxe" edition is.

Well, I got a quit huge collection of 80's bootlegs and stuff. Here are a few favorits;

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I can't totally dismiss a Paul Stanley DVD if people start ranting and raving about it. BUT, after reading over 50 reviews of the concert, I have my concerns. Although it's widely agreed that the performance and the video editing is SUPERB, I found many complaints about production issues. Namely an out-dated "full screen" 4:3 aspect ratio, not shot with HD cameras, and over compression (the boxy smeary squares like you see on Youtube) of the video.

I am a proud new father of a bouncing baby 42" HDTV and it's quickly turning me away from the older concert videos shot in full screen. So this Paul Stanley DVD already has some strikes against it.

I have the Paul Stanley DVD. Actually, the only real problem is the over compression, which makes no sense since the concert is under 2 hours. From statements by the director, the video was shot in 4:3, but it's letterboxed to fit 16:9 TVs, possibly by the record label.

Actually, the laws in some South American countries regarding the prohibition of Region Coding for DVD players and discs doesn't exist in the States. Our players, unless you purchase one which is "region-less," (and those have been hacked into, voiding the warranty), are all Region 1 players and NTSC only.

Actually, the laws in some South American countries regarding the prohibition of Region Coding for DVD players and discs doesn't exist in the States. Our players, unless you purchase one which is "region-less," (and those have been hacked into, voiding the warranty), are all Region 1 players and NTSC only.

Well I dunno about the laws (if any here). All DVD players here are of course imported: Akai, Panasonic, Phillips, Sony, LG, Samsung, etc. In theory we are region 4, but > 90% of material coming to us at video clubs are region 1 (of course nowdays most DVDs have subtitles). Stuff you can buy locally (original) is usually region 4, but since many people buy directly for USA online (e.g. Amazon) they'll end with the same product as anyone in New York or Texas. The standard here is NTSC but as I said before newer players (and mine has like 2 years or more) automatically covert PAL to NTSC without loss of image or sound.

forgot about these,

Iron Maiden - The Early Years
Star One - Live on Earth

Couple of goodies there! I haven't watched the Early Years DVD in awhile, since I now have Live After Death, which gets played a lot.

That Star One vid is excellent! It's amazing how well the video editing is on that one, considering they only shot it with 2 cameras and mixed in some fan-shot footage for the final production.

I just found out that Avantasia's supposed to be releasing a concert DVD sometime soon. Also, Edguy's supposedly had one in the pipeline for the last couple of years.

Woo hoo! :hotjump:

I'd be wanting me a copy of BOTH of those.

I'm also disappointed that there's been no EPICA concert released. I was reading they had one in the can, but then changed labels so the release got nixed by the old label.

most of the ones i own have been named already. i enjoy queensryche mindcrime at the moore a lot

most of the ones i own have been named already. i enjoy queensryche mindcrime at the moore a lot

I just watched that this past weekend. When I first bought it last summer, my DVD player wouldn't play the first disc right, the sound was tinny and faded in and out ( part 2 worked fine). It did the same thing on my buddy's system. But my new DVD player jams it just fine! I need to watch the second part soon, even though I thought MC2 was only "ok".

I just watched that this past weekend. When I first bought it last summer, my DVD player wouldn't play the first disc right, the sound was tinny and faded in and out ( part 2 worked fine). It did the same thing on my buddy's system. But my new DVD player jams it just fine! I need to watch the second part soon, even though I thought MC2 was only "ok".

not counting the opening instrumental song i only like 5-6 songs from OMC2:
i'm american
signs say go
the hands
fear city slide
re-arrange you
speed of light

i might also like the last 2 tracks but i can't remember them so probably not

I do like the Chase, and I like Murderer? a lot. Other favs include The Hands and Re-arrange You (maybe the best song on there).

IMO, the album kind of loses steam after Murderer.

I do like the Chase, and I like Murderer? a lot. Other favs include The Hands and Re-arrange You (maybe the best song on there).

i actually thought the end of the album had the "more queensryche" like songs but they weren't as catchy

I concur. Murder is probably my favorite track on the album. The intro reminds me a lot of Take The Time (DT). It's also a very progressive track - complexity within simplicity.

CENTURY MEDIA DVD SALE IN NOVEMBER!

I'll have to check it out!

CENTURY MEDIA DVD SALE IN NOVEMBER!

https://www.cmdistro.com/monthly.aspx

Also Firewind's label, so happy hunting!! I'm in need of the Nevermore DVD, I made the cut and am in the pictures and liner notes!! :loco:

It was fun browsing thru their catalogue! But, I didn't find much new that I wasn't already aware of or already have. That just goes to show how much of a DVD addict I've become the past few years. :guh:

Only thing that might be of interest but couldn't find much info on the web. It's the Tygers of Pan Tang : LIVE that's listed on cmdistro. Amazon doesn't have it and a quick google didn't reveal much either.

Congrats on getting in the Nevermore booklet Kitty! That DVD isn't really on my MUST BUY list though. They're a bit too heavy for me...I love Sanctuary and Warrell's new solo album, but Nevermore peaks out my "extreme" meter too much for true enjoyment. Still, I might buy it if there's a picture of you in it!