Yes - Fly From Here

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Have no history with Yes, Have no interest in Yes, Have no expectation in Yes. But I'll try anything once. So the whole album is on YT. The new singer they got is amazing. His melodies are very good indeed and his voice is about as close to JA as you're gonna get. But the songs are still very boring. Can a song have engaging vocals and still be boring? Musically it's weak as a baby lamb to me. Not that I'm expecting Napalm Death but this is as balls free as it can get whilst still being so called "rock" music. Good melodies though but still no interest in Yes.

I like YES very much. Their music has no balls. It's not supposed to have balls. They are a prog band. Not a prog METAL band. I've only been into them since 1999, but I've seen them a few times and own a bunch of albums from them. They are very easy to listen to and sometimes I just need a break from getting pummeled by metal music all of the time. I'm looking forward to their new release big time.

I don't think I've gotten a Yes album since Drama. By the time I got Drama, I was starting to discover other prog, and never looked back. The pop nature of 90125 put me off, and I just never had any interest.

I did go see them a few years ago while I was on a trip. I guess it was the first full reunion in a while, and anyway, it was a great show. JA sounded awesome, Wakeman jamming on the keys, etc. Good times.

Been a YES fan since about 1970-71. While Anderson will always be the voice of YES, and he will be missed...(I'm still holding out hope that once again, all this is just temporary) With that being said, David sounds pretty damn good. I'm not unhappy with this album, it has that classic YES vibe to it, and it's already on my 'to be purchased' list.

Have no history with Yes, Have no interest in Yes, Have no expectation in Yes. But I'll try anything once. So the whole album is on YT. The new singer they got is amazing. His melodies are very good indeed and his voice is about as close to JA as you're gonna get. But the songs are still very boring. Can a song have engaging vocals and still be boring? Musically it's weak as a baby lamb to me. Not that I'm expecting Napalm Death but this is as balls free as it can get whilst still being so called "rock" music. Good melodies though but still no interest in Yes.

Hey, wait, so this is a new album? Yes put out a new album? First I've heard about it!!! I feel so lame right now.

I like YES very much. Their music has no balls. It's not supposed to have balls. They are a prog band. Not a prog METAL band. I've only been into them since 1999, but I've seen them a few times and own a bunch of albums from them. They are very easy to listen to and sometimes I just need a break from getting pummeled by metal music all of the time. I'm looking forward to their new release big time.

I couldn't disagree with you more. For the 70's they had some of the ballsiest riffs in rock music. Yeah they were no Van Halen or Kiss, but top 10 for sure! They grooved way harder than Zeppelin and the like though if you ask me.

It's YES, they are probably in their 70s. cut them some slack and maybe "mellow" is where they wanted to take this album. if you want heavy go listen to Fragile or Close To The Edge. a band with as vast a catalog as theirs there is no need to repeat their steps especially when they set the bar for mainstream progressive rock. it's a new YES album they are take it or leave it at this point.

Going to photograph this show on July 5th. Totally psyched. Yes isn't about balls. They are one of the premier prog rock bands. Really looking forward to this show. Hope Styx is still entertaining.

I couldn't disagree with you more. For the 70's they had some of the ballsiest riffs in rock music. Yeah they were no Van Halen or Kiss, but top 10 for sure! They grooved way harder than Zeppelin and the like though if you ask me.

Agreed, though I can understand why people who aren't fans could have this assumption. Topographic for instance is a very mellow album. It's very progressive, but I can see why to some, they would seem to be boring if you only sample their mellow stuff.

Maybe having balls was totally the wrong word to use. What I meant was that Yes is a band in the "rock" category last I checked and to be rock you need some sort of semblance of guitar presence - correct or not? Well the new album seems almost shy of saying that we are a guitar based band. It's very quiet on the guitar angle and when it does come, it's mainly solos and the odd very lite motif that is more texture and decoration rather than the actual beef or meat of the song. Even the latest Asia albums have better and meatier guitar riffs where you can actually say ok this is a rock band of some description.

wow more sissy sounding than the latest Asia records? damn, those albums blew pretty hard in my book not just because of lack of rock but lyrically were pretty drab. but again, back to Yes they are a ROCK band because their history is that of being a ROCK band. just because they release a mellow album in 2011 it doesn't negate their catalog of work dating back to the 60's, does it?

Honestly, I think this is the best Yes album since Fragile. It sounds nothing like Asia, it's trippy and psychedelic as hell. Love it.

Nope it doesn't negate anything. I am just talking about this album having no guitar. I am not over analysing or going into detail about their history. I just made a simple comment that's all.

It's okay, post more threads about Hollywood Undead and Limp Bizkit -- no worries! :heh:

wow more sissy sounding than the latest Asia records? damn, those albums blew pretty hard in my book not just because of lack of rock but lyrically were pretty drab. but again, back to Yes they are a ROCK band because their history is that of being a ROCK band. just because they release a mellow album in 2011 it doesn't negate their catalog of work dating back to the 60's, does it?

Ha! I knew I wasn't the only one underwhelemed by the post-reunion Asia albums.

As for the new Yes album, we've heard it before. It's very similar to the almost new-agey Talk and the albums that followed. Next to no pulse, but not bad when you're in the mood for something (very) light.

From www.melodicrock.com :

One of the most influential and ground-breaking progressive rock 'n' roll bands in history, Yes, have debuted the music video for “We Can Fly” the first single from their new album, Fly From Here. The album was released on July 1st in Europe and streets on July 12 in North America through Frontiers Records. This is the both the band's first music video and studio album release in ten years. The video was directed by award winning filmmaker Ken Horn (won a BAFTA and an Emmy for the BBC series The Street) and features a guest appearance by long-time YES producer and Ken's brother, Trevor Horn. The video builds upon the existential aeronautic theme developed in the song's lyrics and can be seen here:

“Fly From Here” debuted in several national European charts on:
# 14 in Germany # 30 in the UK # 31 in Sweden # 39 in Switzerland # 43 in the Netherlands is currently #5 on iTunes Rock Album Charts.

Yes is Benoit David on vocals (his first studio recording with Yes), Steve Howe on guitars/vocals, founder Chris Squire on bass/vocals, Geoff Downes on keyboards and Alan White on drums. Their long awaited 20th studio album follows 2001's Magnification and marks the band's return to working with producer, Trevor Horn, who produced YES' chart topping album, 90125, in 1983 and also sang for the band on the Drama album in 1980.
The band recently kicked off their summer tour on July 4 in Philadelphia, USA. In support of Fly From Here, Yes will be bringing new music as well as their classic hits to their loyal following. The 22-city tour ends August 3 in Mountain View, CA.
First formed in 1968, Yes' remarkable career spans over 40 years and the band has time and again redefined the boundaries of rock music. Yes has sold nearly 50 million albums worldwide and continues to stretch the boundaries of progressive art-rock with their symphonic use of sound and innovative musical styles.
For more official Yes news and information, go to: www.yesworld.com / The Yes EPK discussing Fly From Here can be seen here:

Last edited by a moderator: