The REAL problem from here on out

If the new album from Firewind is taken from some blueprint, I say bottle that up. I love their new album. I can't stop listening to it.

Half of it sounds like it was ripped from the Whitesnake playbook, the other half is Power Metal 101. If you like it, that's cool. To each their own.

Zod

O_O

I must disagree. Maybe Whitesnake when they were at their best and weren't writing completely useless and inane songs. As for power metal 101, then most power metal bands need to go back to school, because they must have forgotten to take the 'how to write songs' class.

Holy geez here we go again. Ok, so here's my views as if anyone wants to hear them. I don't give a flying pile of horse shit about 'drawing power'. I care about how good a band is. Now, when that standard becomes yesterday's news, I will no longer go to any concerts. Period. Running out of big names? BULLSHIT! Not much talent left? Yeah right. I could easily go overboard on listing bands that are POWER and/or PROG metal (y'know, as in the NAME OF THE FEST!) who would blow nearly all away, even the little whiney ones who sit in their mommy's basement on the computer all day pissing and moaning about everything. There is so much great power metal coming out of Europe these days that Glenn could put on 2 PPs a year for 20 years and not even come close to running out of talent. And yes I fully agree with the statement to GET OFF YOUR ASS AND LISTEN TO SOME NEW BANDS. 'I don't know Elvenking'. WHAT?!?!?! Y'know, back in the early 80s, I drove an hour each way to Atlanta every other week to get the latest Kerrang, so I could find out about the latest NWOBHM and other bands, and hell, now we have computers for chrissakes! There is no excuse to sit on the sidelines. You say you support metal? FUCKING PROVE IT! LEARN about these amazing power and prog metal bands coming out of Europe. And stop whining! OK, now I can relax ha ha :headbang:

*stands & applauds* :kickass:

But music which is completely unoriginal has diminished entertainment value. Take the new Firewind disc as an example. The songs are well written. But at the same time, they were written based on a blueprint. It's Power Metal paint by numbers. So, it's entertaining for a few listens, but it grows tired quickly. A band needs to have some element that distinguishes them from the herd or I'll tire of them within the week.

Zod

I like the new Firewind, but it is their weakest release IMO, because it's more generic sounding than any of their other CD's. I say that because the production is way more polished and the singer less gritty than the others, but originality isn’t any stronger on them than on Allegiance. On the other hand- interesting you should mention Urban in your reply to Glenn's question- Bloodbound "Nosferatu" will be #3 on my best of 2006 list. I don't think there's one single aspect of that CD I'd call original. It's just well performed Power Metal with a great voice and enough crunch to get and keep my attention.

What, may I ask, is the difference between Power Metal by the numbers, and Symphonic Death, Black, Black/Death, Progressive, Gothenburg, Progressive Death, or Doom by the numbers? You seem to hold Power Metal to a separate standard, and you require qualities be met in your judgment of Power Metal that you don't seem to require from other genres. The singer's voice has to be special. There has to be some originality. Bands need to evolve from album to album…

Perhaps you do require some of those things of other forms, but it’s Power Metal you single out, and it’s Power metal you’ve lost interest in over the last five years. Why?

Holy geez here we go again. Ok, so here's my views as if anyone wants to hear them. I don't give a flying pile of horse shit about 'drawing power'. I care about how good a band is. Now, when that standard becomes yesterday's news, I will no longer go to any concerts. Period. Running out of big names? BULLSHIT! Not much talent left? Yeah right. I could easily go overboard on listing bands that are POWER and/or PROG metal (y'know, as in the NAME OF THE FEST!) who would blow nearly all away, even the little whiney ones who sit in their mommy's basement on the computer all day pissing and moaning about everything. There is so much great power metal coming out of Europe these days that Glenn could put on 2 PPs a year for 20 years and not even come close to running out of talent. And yes I fully agree with the statement to GET OFF YOUR ASS AND LISTEN TO SOME NEW BANDS. 'I don't know Elvenking'. WHAT?!?!?! Y'know, back in the early 80s, I drove an hour each way to Atlanta every other week to get the latest Kerrang, so I could find out about the latest NWOBHM and other bands, and hell, now we have computers for chrissakes! There is no excuse to sit on the sidelines. You say you support metal? FUCKING PROVE IT! LEARN about these amazing power and prog metal bands coming out of Europe. And stop whining! OK, now I can relax ha ha :headbang:

Don't mince words, Ned. Tell us how you really feel, okay? :lol:

On the other hand- interesting you should mention Urban in your reply to Glenn's question- Bloodbound "Nosferatu" will be #3 on my best of 2006 list. I don't think there's one single aspect of that CD I'd call original.
Except for Urban's voice. If a singer resonates with me (Urban, Matt Barlow, Lance King, etc.) than they are that unique aspect I need to keep me from quickly growing bored with a band.

What, may I ask, is the difference between Power Metal by the numbers, and Symphonic Death, Black, Black/Death, Progressive, Gothenburg, Progressive Death, or Doom by the numbers? You seem to hold Power Metal to a separate standard, and you require qualities be met in your judgment of Power Metal that you don't seem to require from other genres.

Perhaps you do require some of those things of other forms, but it’s Power Metal you single out, and it’s Power metal you’ve lost interest in over the last five years. Why?
I started listening to Iron Maiden in the early 80s. I didn't start listening to the more extreme genres within Metal until 2000. Consequently, Power Metal sounds far less fresh to my ears. Which is not the fault of the genre per say, but more a byproduct of my musical evolution. All that said, I think there are more bands pushing the envelope in the extreme Metal genres than in Power Metal.

Zod

Maybe Whitesnake when they were at their best and weren't writing completely useless and inane songs.
The only Whitesnake I'm familiar with is "Slide it In", "Whitesnake" and "Slip of the Tongue".

As for power metal 101, then most power metal bands need to go back to school, because they must have forgotten to take the 'how to write songs' class.
Do you think Firewind sounds unique? Fresh? Groundbreaking? Original? I agree their songs are well written. I've never claimed they weren't. I heard the disc, I bought the disc. I merely think they're generic.

Zod

Bands need to evolve from album to album…

which is why I LOVES my Therion! :headbang:

they sure as hell don't sound like anyone else I've ever heard. :p ...they don't even sound like themselves between any two albums since Theli. LOL.

hmmm, wonder what they're doing next October? ;)

:heh:

If a singer resonates with me (Urban, Matt Barlow, Lance King, etc.) then they are that unique aspect I need to keep me from quickly growing bored with a band.

100% concur.

on the opposite end of the spectrum, I love the music that Evergrey writes, but I can't take more than a few lines of Tom's vocals. There's just something about his vocals that are like nails on a chalkboard to me. :guh:

I've tried and I've tried to get past them, but I can't. :erk:

Awesome!

There is so much great power metal coming out of Europe these days that Glenn could put on 2 PPs a year for 20 years and not even come close to running out of talent. And yes I fully agree with the statement to GET OFF YOUR ASS AND LISTEN TO SOME NEW BANDS. 'I don't know Elvenking'. WHAT?!?!?! Y'know, back in the early 80s, I drove an hour each way to Atlanta every other week to get the latest Kerrang, so I could find out about the latest NWOBHM and other bands, and hell, now we have computers for chrissakes! There is no excuse to sit on the sidelines. You say you support metal? FUCKING PROVE IT! LEARN about these amazing power and prog metal bands coming out of Europe. And stop whining! OK, now I can relax ha ha :headbang:
Yea. I had similiar experiences "back in the day". I can't believe how lazy people can be now when the internet makes finding new bands and damn near everything else, soooo easy.

Zod : If you just mean can I pick them out of a crowd? Yeah. I think so.

But I consider Generic to be plain, ordinary, without any real feel. With Firewind I get a lot of feel from them. I love Apollo's voice, and I find Gus G's guitar meolodies and soloing enjoyable to listen to. Thus, I get a reaction out of it that I don't get with some of the more 'generic' power metal bands out there. Do they sound unique? I don't know. The closest band in my opinion that they sound like these days (with a less neo-classical emphasis) is Jorn. And that's purely because not many are doing the melodic classic rock/hardrock/metal thing.

I agree with Zod on the new Firewind. The riffs aren't that bad, but the vocals make the experience as a whole sound really generic. Apollo does not fit well with that band. But from the reviews I read, he performs well live so I dunno..

As for the originallity debate, I agree with Glenn. If you're only looking for unique bands, you'll be booking one or two bands a year since unique bands of the "good" variety cannot be plucked off trees. Bands like Evergrey who in my eyes, pretty much redifined progressive music with their unique sound are just as worthy to be booked for prog power as bands like Machine Men or Spheric Universe Experience (albiet not for the same slot), who don't do anything unique but have amazing vocalists/riffs.

I agree and in terms of a generic Power Metal band...That's what I think Iced Earth has turned into with Barlow leaving. Rippers screaming yelps or whatever they are just annoy the crap out of me(Nails on a chalk board)

Fortunatly I got to see Barlow with them on his last 2 tours with the band!
He's got some feeling...

down ripper all you want cause barlow is gone, but i dont think theres anyone better for iced earth thats not already caught up in something major

he might be the best for them period

I'm not downing Ripper because Barlow is gone...

I down Ripper Owens because I personaly do not like his vocal style...

Just my opinion.