dimensionidol

free thinker
Jul 21, 2002
north of italy
Visit site
i finally got it...

i don't like it...

for 1 simple reason...

i think that opeth is one of the best in metal today...

i really like the contrast between melodics and violent parts...

but this album is soo boring :erk:....and the rythm section is not dynamic....

i think this is too similar to PORCUPINE TREE ...that are infinitely better in doin' such things...(not to mention 70's rock..camel,rush,reinassanceetc)

to me they've missed a goal....

opinions?

:D

I think Damnation could have (and should have) been a lot more than it is. As it is, it has its moments but is overall rather boring. I agree that there are no dynamics on the album, except for the last half or so of Closure, which is quite good. Something like Sorskogen would have been better, but it wouldn't have made sense to release it under the Opeth name.

It was a dissapointment granted, but not at all boring. It's just different from the other albums.

It's really excellent , i just listen to it from time to time not to get bored

I think that Damnation is their best album. Seriously. Why? Cause they really went out on a limb to do something different this time, and they ended up releasing not just one, but two explosive albums. One that is similar to the last two but with a wider range of weirdness and the other being a complete departure from their usual conventions.

Their next album will probably be even more heavy. Right on to that, I say.

I definately thought it was a disappointment. By a mellow album i was hoping for an entire album full of songs similar to harvest and other great acoustic mellow songs, instead we have songs that are so slow, no melodies and no powerful clean vocals with the exception of "in my time of need" which is the only decent song on the whole album.

I wish it either wasn't released under the Opeth name or that it was released as a 2-disc set with Deliverance. I don't mind it, but it only serves as background music for me, unlike their other albums. I certainly don't blame them for wanting to experiment and draw from other influences, but it's not worthy of the Opeth name, in my opinion.

I didn't like Damnation much either..However, I do like acoustic songs like Benighted from previous releases..go figure..Myabe Damantion is haunting and proggy in it's own way, but it didn't hit me, or at least just yet..

IMHO........

Damnation is way better than deliverance...i really fell in love with this record :))))

Love all songs except weakness....it's

weak

at least

In My Time of Need, Closure and To Rid The Disease are wonderful tracks. Yes, Damnation could and should have been better, but I still think it's a great album, and does what it's supposed to do very well.

What I find shitty about Damnation is the fact that it isn't longer. I love this cd, aside from "Death Whispered a Lullabye", and even that has its moments. I like the fact that they released it under the Opeth name, instead of worrying about what other Opeth fans would think about it.

To me, when I hear it, I think OPETH. Pure and simple. Opeth is a very dynamic band. If the band was called Bloodbath, then I would have to agree that it should be released under another name.

I listen to Damnation all the time, the album is excellent. I can see why people would consider it boring, especially metal fans because it's not metal and it's not up tempo. Damnation will probably be one of the only albums I own right now that I'll be listening to when I'm 50.

First off, the guy that said Deliverance is boring is mad.
Okay, I think it's amazing that Opeth are so secure in their own creativity that they can release an album like Damnation. I kinda like it but I really think it should have been somehow a part of Deliverance - either a double cd or else one cd mixed with songs from each.

Hey people, just enjoy what Opeth are doing - look at EVERY other band, ever - they have golden ages where they can do no wrong. Maiden had it from their debut up until Seventh Son, AC/DC had it from Let There Be Rock till Back In Black, Metallica had it with their first few albums - Opeth have had it their entire career so far and if Deliverance is anything to go by, they're stronger than ever!!!!
Most talented band around, no question, and Damnation just adds another weapon to their astonishing arsenal.

I wouldn't be worrying about Damnation being boring, just be glad Opeth dont have to release St Anger to try and stay "cool"!