yes..i find damnation boring!

This is my particular taste, but I think that although the supreme, most trademark aspect of Opeth is that they beautifully contrast two totally different musical styles, I really like Damnation even though it contrasts less than any of their other albums. I personally think that it was a just and natural progression and I really enjoy it a lot. I think the reason why some of you didn't like it as much, was because Opeth was kind of going outside of what they usually do. They merely tried to express a different musical concept, one that just happened to be unlike any other album they had created. I personally don't see how this album could be viewed as boring because each song is soft but also creates a different mood and feeling. I do believe with Opeth that their music is meant to be examined in volumes and that focusing on a particular part and forgetting its relation to the rest takes away from the musical legacy that they've not only already built, but are stilll working on.

LiB said:
I definately thought it was a disappointment. By a mellow album i was hoping for an entire album full of songs similar to harvest and other great acoustic mellow songs, instead we have songs that are so slow, no melodies and no powerful clean vocals with the exception of "in my time of need" which is the only decent song on the whole album.

Yes, I agree with you 100 percent.

I really thought this album was going to be my favorite Opeth album... but it turns out that it's an extremely tedious and bland listen.

No Opeth album is boring. I don't think Deliverance or Damnation are quite as good as Opeth's best albums, but they're still masterpieces.

Bear with me?
Bare with me?
What ever!
My Arms Your Hearse followed by Still Life.
Whoa!!!! Surely they could not top that.
Still Life followed by Blackwater Park.
Whoaaa! shit!!!!! Surely they could not
pull off another to top that!

Not yet anyway.

Honestly, While Deliverance has some good moments
and Damnation has one or two, they just don't match
up with the previous 4 or 5. JMHO

Question: You guys that liked the first two CD's the best tell me
which CD is better. BWP or Deliverance/Damnation?

Reactions: Stormwatch
gatedropper said:
Question: You guys that liked the first two CD's the best tell me which CD is better. BWP or Deliverance/Damnation?
Deliverance and Damnation. I find both albums to be more progressive than BWP and introduce elements that were either not fully explored or not present at all on the previous albums. And I do not find Damnation boring, I think there are some brilliant songs on it, I even love Lullaby and Weakness...it isn't a perfect album either and I sometimes wish they had went in a more esoteric direction as Mikael once suggested...

I absolutely agree! I have been saying this for a while, and it seems like everytime I bash damnation, posts come flowing in saying what a great piece of work it is.

Well, it is a mediocre cd. Overall very boring and uninteresting. If it was released by any other band, I would have already sold it back to the used cd store. I enjoys lots of "mellow" music, but Damnation is just not that good.

well one thing i noticed is that you compared them to porcupine tree, i totally agree, call me crazy but i fucking hate that damn ambient background music shit, its boring and meek, damnation isnt much better, although i do catch myself listening to it pretty often to listen to the lyrics, mike really did a number on this one, his lyrics are probably the most meaningful yet its wild

damnation is gorgeous, I've had it since before it came out and it grows on me every time I listen to it - one of the most haunting records I've ever heard. The dynamics are still there, more changes in mood than in volume and distortion :) I love the production, vocals and especially the drum sound. deliverance makes damnation a better album and vice versa. I reallly enjoy chilled out music but hate happy, proggy stuff. Damnation is mikaels most introspective album to date, and touches on a clearly troubled past and a sense of loss that has never quite been explained, but has been present throughout opeth's career. a great album. :D

Lacent said:
well one thing i noticed is that you compared them to porcupine tree, i totally agree, call me crazy but i fucking hate that damn ambient background music shit, its boring and meek

So is your opinion, and since very little of PT's catalogue explores ambient territory and they have moved in a completely different direction on their last three albums, I'm willing to guess your exposure to the band consists solely of random downloads. :)

well expect to see these songs live if ur seein them on the damnation tour. i saw them do soundcheck and i know they can do Windowpane, In my time of need, to rid the disease, and ending credits live. Mikael said yea theyll defintily do to bid u farewell live on this tour. Thats all i want to hear is that song live