Yesterday at the Fillmore...

Shard

The Unholy Thpoo
Dec 19, 2002
(UC)Santa Barbara, CA
whoo....that was fucking insane. Opeth was awesome. Everything was good...the guitars, drums, and bass were perfect, the mellotron fit like a glove and Michael's voice was emotional enough to slice something in half. (...or something :p) Good stuff. I was surprised they actually got into some heavier stuff, like they played the heavy parts of To Bid You Farewell and Face of Melinda. It was good to see that, since I was a bit disappointed the show would only consist of melancholy songs with less energy than usual Opeth sets.

PT was...well....strange. It was the first time I really heard PT, and they seemed....boring. They were very tight musically....like, I could tell they were amazing musicians, but most of the songs all seemed to follow a pattern, which isn't bad unto itself, but then all of the songs were also one tempo...there were no tempo changes in songs more than ~20 bpm, it was annoying. I could keep the beat the entire time without even having heard any of their songs, because all of their songs had the same beat....it sucked.

However, Steven Wilson's voice is really good, it just knocks people over. Both his verse singing, and his haunting chorus vocals (Strip the Soul in particular)...good stuff.

After the show was cool as well, because Mike walked on the corner of the stage and signed autographs and talked to fans. Some lady there was asking for the meaning of "To Rid the Disease"....Mike was like..."I dunno..." hehehhe. I got my ticket stub signed and said "hi".

Oh, and I saw Squeak! My friends and I were standing up front and I see this long haired woman in front of me taking pictures...so I met Squeak and Triste.

So, yeah, good concert, one of the best I've been to.

-Tim

Seems like Opeth decided to do some metal finally on their tour... Here in Montreal it was all mellow...But some fans were not happy and shouting at the band... I was kinda frustrated that people could not appreciate what Opeth had to offer that night. I think it was wonderful! Good idea though that they put some heavier stuff...for the metal fans ;)

BTW for those who were there and know PT well, which was the song Steven said Mikael wanted him to play? I wasn't familiar with the track but it was a phenomenal song! I thought he said "small boy" or something but I guess that's not a song. I'm probably way off anyways. Anyone know??

Damn that was an awesome show. Too bad I had to leave right after Opeth played. I was right up front inbetween Mikael and Peter (Im the guy with the big black earrings), if anyone saw me going off.

ControlledChaos said:
BTW for those who were there and know PT well, which was the song Steven said Mikael wanted him to play? I wasn't familiar with the track but it was a phenomenal song! I thought he said "small boy" or something but I guess that's not a song. I'm probably way off anyways. Anyone know??

I believe it was A Smart Boy off of Stupid Dream.

oka said:
Damn that was an awesome show. Too bad I had to leave right after Opeth played. I was right up front inbetween Mikael and Peter (Im the guy with the big black earrings), if anyone saw me going off.

holy shit i remember seeing you there man...i was right up in front and it was just an amazing show...there were no mess-ups and all the band played PERFECTLY and mikaels vocals were SPOT ON...that was the best concert i've been to and NO concert i've seen has even come close...friggin amazing man...I had to leave after opeth as well though...i really wanted to meet the guys even though i would have probably been super nervous considering they are my idols and all :Spin:

A big "thanks" to everybody who decided to smoke pot. I cannot handle drugs well for some reason, and the stuff was all over in the air. I felt like I was going to pass out suddenly and had to rush to the lobby area where I basically collapsed on the floor. Then I was taken back to first aid where I drank orange juice... (the lady said I was green when I came in ) until I was better. I heard myself miss hope leaves through the beginning of face of melinda. I really wish people would just enjoy the music instead of wasting time with that shit anyway.

squeemu said:
A big "thanks" to everybody who decided to smoke pot. I cannot handle drugs well for some reason, and the stuff was all over in the air. I felt like I was going to pass out suddenly and had to rush to the lobby area where I basically collapsed on the floor. Then I was taken back to first aid where I drank orange juice... (the lady said I was green when I came in ) until I was better. I heard myself miss hope leaves through the beginning of face of melinda. I really wish people would just enjoy the music instead of wasting time with that shit anyway.

That really sucks dude...i dont have a reaction or anything to it i just HATE the smell of it...i agree that people shouldnt fucking do that stuff it really can fuck up a concert for some people!

oka said:
I think I saw you. I was up front directly in front of Mikael, I was the bald guy in leather.

I also left after Opeth, I wish I hadn't though since Mikael was out after PT signing stuff. Before the show outside I met and took pictures with Peter and the Martins but I didn't catch Mike, but I was really tired and I had to work early today so thats how that goes.

Highpoint of the concert for me? Closure! Goddamn they were going nuts at the end! Even though it was a mellow set, there were quite a few headbanging inducing moments, expecially if you were watchin Martin on bass.

If Mikael wasn't a musician, he could've been a comedian, he was just havin' a great time up there.

squeemu said:

PUSSY! :D

The Shape said:
Highpoint of the concert for me? Closure! Goddamn they were going nuts at the end!

I wrote this on another post but I totally fucking agree. I was one of those people smoking weed (although I had the courtesy to do it outside, before the show) and I was memorized by Closure. It is my favorite track off damnation prior to this concert and what they did to it live was absolutely fucking incredible. When they were just jamming and Mikael was groovin on his guitar while Lopez was playing the Middle Eastern drum beat after the first two verses for like 7 minutes it was probably one of the best moments I've ever experienced while listening to music. Pure musical orgasm. :headbang:

squeemu said:
the stuff was all over in the air. I felt like I was going to pass out suddenly and had to rush to the lobby area where I basically collapsed on the floor. Then I was taken back to first aid where I drank orange juice...

Are you an 8-year old girl?

ControlledChaos said:
It was probably this "A Smart Boy" you speak of. Squeak I did see you right in front of me a couple times during O. I had the nightside eclipse shirt on. Your hair is stellar.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You shoulda said hi!!! I remember you. :wave: Thanks for the compliments. :D FUCK that was an awesome show. Awesome awesome awesome. Awesome enough to ALMOST make me fly to the Portland show tonight.

"I was evil when i was 12"

When Mikeal spoke about black metal, was he thinking about the Inner Circle ??

If you spot me i was maybe the only guy headbanguing on the PT set :D