Yet another decision making thread for a 5150

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
so, i have to make a decision about a 5150 a friend of a friend is selling. Its a peavey 5150, about 5 years old, it has missing knobs apparently but everything supposedly works fine. He is selling it for 700 and will include a cab for 800. The cab is a Marshall MG cab (super lulz). So all said and done is 700 a good offer? if not what should i offer? He is really desperate for money btw. :cool: I was thinking like maybe 500 or 400. This is gonna be my first real deal amp. Not that i havent ever played one or a beginner (ive played shows and stuff with a 5150, bugera and a jsx). I really wanna get an Engl Ivader. :kickass:

Also, 2 more things.

Why isnt there a subforum or sticky for talking about 5150's? I dont know if its just me but there seems to be alot of talk about them.

And also, i heard the greatest lead tone of my entire life today

That lead tone is SOOOO amazing. Im pretty sure he plays engl but he could've played something different for the recordings. Is there any way to make a 5150 sound like that? As far as mods, pedals and rackmounts. Im not saying I want a 5150 to sound like an engl (which would be nice) but i think that tone is incredible. To even get something close to that would be awesome.

I also realize it would def help to be as good as Jeff Loomis to get a lead tone, and i also know that 80 percent of your tone is in my hands. :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could help you, damn that tone is insane. But I can't.
Tone really is in the hands though.

No sticky I guess 'cause questions are specific, and no subforum 'cause it's not that necessary.

he wants 700, offer him 450, he'll say 650, offer him 500, he'll say 600, offer him 550 and dont move from that

especially because its missing some chicken knobs etc... seems like its been slightly abused. check the tube age too - if there old as fuck you want to say it to him and get him to knock off another 50 - 100 bucks because you have to replace them.

and if i were you i'd stay away from the cab - i picked up my marshall 1960 (retailed at 850 euro's in ireland) and i imported mine from turkey for 400 bucks in one of my dads shipping containers in absolutely perfect condition still boxed etc with all my warranty's and its an amazing cab - it moves a hell of an amount of air!!!

I payed $680 for my used 5150 and it didn't have anything wrong with it. I would recommend bartering down some. I would steer clear of the cab too unless you are desperate for a cab.

Loomis' solo album was tracked with an ENGL SE by the way. According to Neil Kernon who tracked the album.

Loomis has never used an ENGL to track any of Nevermore's albums, since he got endorsed by the after the last Nevermore album.

This Godless Endeavor was a Mesa Dual Recto and a Krank Rev, Enemies of Reality was a Mesa Triple Rectifier and Dead Heart in a Dead World was a Mesa Dual Recto.

$700 is way too much for a 5150 that isn't fucking mint

even on ebay, which has inflated as hell prices due to their listing fees, the best conditioned 5150's sell for about $800, and you can find people all the time slinging ones with some wear and tear for $500-600

shit i even know a guy who said he'll sell me his beat-to-hell-but-still-working 5150 to me for $300