Yet more questions for Master Ron...

LDGuy

The other guy
Apr 17, 2005
Oxford, UK
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm just wondering, with all the complexity in your songs, what is your writing process? Do you notate everything, or are you based on charts like Dream Theater? If you do notate stuff, is it in tab or notes on a staff? (What's your sight reading like? Hehe) I noticed a page on the ink website with lots of .wav files of scratch tapes with no solos. I was amazed at how similar the Alesis drum parts were to Bobby's final parts. Do you notate all the drum parts and hand them to Bobby, them being exactly what you want, or does Bobby program the drum machine? Do you jam a lot to get musical ideas, or are most of the ideas from your head. I guess the process must be different for different songs/albums.

I was asking because, as a budding drummer/keyboardist, i'm always looking for new ways to create, especially if I'm kinda stuck in a rut with software/hardware and techniques, creating the same sort of music over and over again.

The other thing I quite like about your compositions is their memorability. That tune at 1.46 on multimasking (and the reprise at the end) has got to be one of my favourite little tunes you guys have come up with. After I first heard that song I was constantly singing it
(daDadadadaDada-daDADAdadi-de-de-deda-dedade-diddleida-dedaDiddlededadadaDadededeDAdada-diddleydiddleydiddleyda-diddleydiddleydiddleyda-bing! :headbang: ), thinking to myself "shit, how did those guys come up with that piece of genius?". When I looked up the tab on powertabs, I was really surprised to find how many odd times it went through. I was pretty shocked, because until then, I'd thought it had been in 4/4, or something, with a bar of 9/8 at the end to make up for the "bing" the second time you play it. What I want to know is how you guys think of it. Do you write the riff in all the time sigs, and think in all those time sigs when you play it, or do you just think of it as a pattern of notes played to a certain rhythm?

Thanks for all you've created so far, I love every bit of it.

Cheers,
Loz. :worship: