You know, just a little fan input..

Mar 24, 2005
But I really think that it would be cool if Clay's screams(See Apex, Blood and Passion, etc) were used more. It's not quite harsh vocals but it sounds really cool and when he does it, especially in Blood and Passion, it's one of those spine-chilling moments.

Also, saxaphone. You guys made it sound like saxaphones have been included in Metal forever. It's awesome. haha Although I guess you couldn't do that too much because it'd be a hassle for Gregg to switch from sax to guitar/vice versa constantly.

But I really think that it would be cool if Clay's screams(See Apex, Blood and Passion, etc) were used more. It's not quite harsh vocals but it sounds really cool and when he does it, especially in Blood and Passion, it's one of those spine-chilling moments.

Also, saxaphone. You guys made it sound like saxaphones have been included in Metal forever. It's awesome. haha Although I guess you couldn't do that too much because it'd be a hassle for Gregg to switch from sax to guitar/vice versa constantly.

Thanks, glad you like those things!

There will be plenty more of both screams and saxophones on the next album. And believe me, if I had my way I would play ONLY saxophone. Hopefully by 2012 or something that'll be the case, heh.

technically having played saxophone a lot longer than guitar probably makes me biased, but i have more fun messing around on sax than guitar.

also, i agree with will's comment to add more of clay's screams and saxophone. that would indeed be amazing.

new album will have more screams...there just wasn't a lot of need on a great divide for screams. the places you heard them (blood and passion, there are a few more but they aren't noticable) were really the only places that needed them in our opinion. But I know the new album will have morfe places that it will be needed. We shall see as the new album starts to unfold...yay.

Clay

I don't suppose there will be any Broadway tunes along with those screams on the next CD !?!?

Thanks, glad you like those things!

There will be plenty more of both screams and saxophones on the next album. And believe me, if I had my way I would play ONLY saxophone. Hopefully by 2012 or something that'll be the case, heh.

2012 eh?

Would it really be that hard to find another guitarist capable of playing what you play? There seems to be plenty of talent in our area, what with the tri-state having people like The Green Evening Requiem, Crimson Roots, yourself, Angel Vivaldi, even Mutiny. *shrug* Then again I'm not involved in the music scene just yet so it's probably just my ignorance talking here.

2012 eh?

Would it really be that hard to find another guitarist capable of playing what you play? There seems to be plenty of talent in our area, what with the tri-state having people like The Green Evening Requiem, Crimson Roots, yourself, Angel Vivaldi, even Mutiny. *shrug* Then again I'm not involved in the music scene just yet so it's probably just my ignorance talking here.

Well, I wouldn't want two guitars and a saxophone; that'll be over-doing it. I'd just want to do some cool things when Rich and I play the same line, but I play it on saxophone. It's such a cool sound. Check out MVP's "Truth in Shredding."

Those bands are good, but our guitar parts are unlike anyone else's in the way that they are pretty intricate. I'm not saying you have to be the best guitarist to play them, but they are pretty much written for my style. I think even if I gave my guitar parts to hot shots like Petrucci and Vai and Eklundh it won't sound the same.

I've noticed that guitar is so personal. Even if I spent hours on a Dream Theater riff, it won't sound like Petrucci even if I nail every note, and the same goes with everyone from Yngwie to Kurt Cobain to Wes Montgomery.

I learned guitar backwards from everyone else; I didn't learn patterns and wrote stuff based on that. I learned the notes, and then figured out my own patterns. All the music is written first, then I figure out how to play it on guitar. So, a lot of the stuff Rich and I both play is not very guitaristic and most people find it very confusing and awkward to play, that's why I love it, heh.

Anyway, just a little tangent. But yeah, expect more saxophone, and other winds on the new album. They just add more color that guitars just can't do. Listen to Pain of Salvation's "Be" and you'll see what I mean.

wow, i can't even remember a saxophone part on Be. then again that album's probably the most immense work of music i've ever heard, so. >_>

Yeah, it really does. That is one of my alltime favorite albums. It's really crazy. I still like The Perfect Element better overall, but BE is really good.

There is no saxophone on Be, but many other instruments providing color, namely flute, bass clarinet, oboe, violin, etc. It just adds another dimension to the music.

ohhh, alright.

you are right, though. the violin parts on Pluvius Aestivus still give me chills, and it's been over two years since i first heard it.

"BE" is a fine example of how progressive metal should not just be limited to technical wanky bullshit. "BE" introduced me to Pain of Salvation. It's probably my favorite album of all time.

Alright, instead of making another topic about a thought i had about your guys music, I'll just bump this one.

While listening to your music I realized one major thing. You guys have never written a guitar solo that seemed to really..stick out, and just be like, the climax of the song. I know it's not entirely in your style to just put it out like that, but I always wondered what it would sound like. Have you guys ever thought about doing that with any of your songs? >_> I mean, for examples, like, the solo in Pain of Salvation's King of Loss, or even Song For The Innocent. Maybe if you're a DT fan you can go for say like, The Spirit Carries On. *shrug*

Not to say that your guitar solos aren't kickass, it's just that they flow with the music, as opposed to really being a SOLO, something that just breaks out from the rest of the piece and makes you go "WOW! That was fucking great."

OK, I am listening to The Silvery Image right now and Father of Hate and Distant Skies (my 2 favorites) have excellent solo's. I wouldn't say either are full of fireworks or mind-numbing shred but both are just perfect for the song. Both exhibit excellent flow and beautiful melody.

OK, I am listening to The Silvery Image right now and Father of Hate and Distant Skies (my 2 favorites) have excellent solo's. I wouldn't say either are full of fireworks or mind-numbing shred but both are just perfect for the song. Both exhibit excellent flow and beautiful melody.

There's no guitar solo in "Father of Hate;" :cool: about which part are you speaking?

The reason we don't have big guitar solos that "stick out" is because I honestly think it's uncalled for and borders on cheesy. Bands like Dream Theater do it because Petrucci is the only guitarist and they sometimes have that "jam-band" sort of feel when everyone can just go all out. Suspyre's music is entirely about composition and production of a lasting musical product. There isn't much room for a solo like that. Solos are cool sometimes, but a lot of the time they seem tangential and distracting to the idea of the piece. I just think solos fit better in a jazz and blues environment. And when your song is already 7 minutes long and there's no solo, adding one can just make it tiring.

Though, I do love all the solos Rich and I have done (or else we wouldn't have done them, heh). One I really like is in "Manipulation in Time;" I got a Holdsworth fusion kind of feel by playing very legato and using lots of whole-tone passages and augmented arpeggios. There's a lot of interesting guitar tricks we did on "A Great Divide" solo-wise about which I keep forgetting.

As I'm working on planning the new album now, we have about 10 more minutes until the CD is full. So, maybe you'll get a piece that is more guitar-solo oriented, at your request. :headbang: