Your 1st Ass kicking rock band...

hte first CD I ever owned was Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction the first rockin band i got into was probably Motley Crue :erk: I didn't get into music much until about 4th grade at the pinnacle of hair metal. I listened regularily to:
Skid Row, Def Leppard, Guns n' Roses...etc.

Benighted1 said:
yea mine probably was too. Magic carpet ride is an amazing song!!! John Kay is a pretty brilliant song-writer and slide guitarist.
Funnily enough though John Kay/Stepenwolf didn't write Born to be wild though, it was a folky type guy by the name of Mars Bonfire.....

"Mars Bonfire" was a founder member of Steppenwolf but left early on.

Have you heard about the BGO release of...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:t69us35ra3dg

It has a live version of "The Pusher" lasting 20+ minutes, not to take anything away from Opeth's BRI which imo is one of the greatest moments in the recording history of Rock/Metal...

Steppenwolf did it first, or would that be "The Grateful Dead?"

I only found this out yesterday after spawning this thread :)

One of the wonderful positive spin-offs of some internet message boards....

Profound Moments....nah Profane, keep it up Mike, PLS.

Have a nice day guys...laterz.

Netheral said:
Magic Carpet Ride from Steppenwolf is awesome

My first asskicking one was Deep Purple...other rock the beatles of course

Yep, same here. Ted Nugent and Blue Oyster Cult and Hendrix.

MetalManCPA said:
Easy answer for me:

1971 - I'm 11 years old, and I hear The Immigrant song by Led Zeppelin played on the radio. That was it.

I was 11 in '65 and was listening to Beatles .

Benighted1 said:
yea mine probably was too. Magic carpet ride is an amazing song!!! John Kay is a pretty brilliant song-writer and slide guitarist.
Funnily enough though John Kay/Stepenwolf didn't write Born to be wild though, it was a folky type guy by the name of Mars Bonfire.....

I got to see Steppenwolf live. I was pretty young at the time and Kay comes out with all leather pants and vest and takes this clear guitar and climbs up on the speakers and proceeds to make one frightning shrill by putting the pickups right on the tweeters/horns. They immediatly go into The Pusher.
My sister tries grabbing me to take me out of the venue and I takes off running toward the front. My first experience with heavy music live.
I did see Chicago right before that and it was one of the loudest concerts I have ever been to. 25 or 6 to 4 had a killer guitar lead!

dcat said:
"Mars Bonfire" was a founder member of Steppenwolf but left early on.

Have you heard about the BGO release of...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:t69us35ra3dg

It has a live version of "The Pusher" lasting 20+ minutes, not to take anything away from Opeth's BRI which imo is one of the greatest moments in the recording history of Rock/Metal...

Steppenwolf did it first, or would that be "The Grateful Dead?"

I only found this out yesterday after spawning this thread :)

One of the wonderful positive spin-offs of some internet message boards....

Profound Moments....nah Profane, keep it up Mike, PLS.

Have a nice day guys...laterz.

Actually Mars was never a member of stepenwolf, only of a band called the Sparrow which was the band John kay was in before Stepenwolf. Mars left and then john got in a couple of other guys and changed the name to stepenwolf....

gatedropper said:
I got to see Steppenwolf live. I was pretty young at the time and Kay comes out with all leather pants and vest and takes this clear guitar and climbs up on the speakers and proceeds to make one frightning shrill by putting the pickups right on the tweeters/horns. They immediatly go into The Pusher.
My sister tries grabbing me to take me out of the venue and I takes off running toward the front. My first experience with heavy music live.
I did see Chicago right before that and it was one of the loudest concerts I have ever been to. 25 or 6 to 4 had a killer guitar lead!

Shit duno how John managed that seen as he can hardly see 5 ft in front of him been partially blind. Sounds like an awesome show though man!!

For me it was AC/DC. I was about 14 and had just joined Boy Scouts :kickass:

Yea I know... but it was a great way to get out of the house, so I could smoke, my dad was a real prick. Anyway a friend had 'Back in Black', and turned me on to it. At this point in my life, the great Pop music of the 80's kept my ears full. Needless to say this was a major crossroads in my musical life!

rrjii2000 said:
my dad was a real prick.

well heavy metal is a way for kids whose parents dont love them and if they are an outcast then they can listen to heavy metal and say "FUCK THE SYSTEM". yES!