your advice please, i want to move to pro tools.

jesterroot4

Jul 5, 2007
Croydon (south london) UK
and i dont know anything about it, i'm on their site now, but non of its making much sense to me,
never used pro tools
never seen anything about it,
but i know i want to make the move.

after talking with Chris Tsangarides, he was shocked to find out i was being taught cubase and told me to instantly get pro tools.

i dont know what i need,
i'm using cubase SX3 atm so i dunno..

any advice on what setups would be good would be most appreciated

cheers guys!!

I'm moving to protools LE soon because I'm going to start tracking in a room that has an HD system. I don't know if I want to just buy a cheap mbox that has ADAT (do any of them?) or just get a different DAC and use SPDIF.

I don't have any advice, but I'm happy this thread is here because I'm in the same situation.

No MBOX's have ADAT, unfortunately - even the Pro only has 4 analog ins and two channels of SPDIF in.

You could always use m-powered if you want ADAT inputs, and use the Profire Lightbridge. I love that thing...

never used pro tools
never seen anything about it,
but i know i want to make the move.
I doubt that you should really make the change if I take your quote into account. :loco:
I don't know if I want to just buy a cheap mbox that has ADAT (do any of them?) or just get a different DAC and use SPDIF.
No they don't, the Digi003 (also the older Digi002) has ADAT though.
why not stick with what you already know and have?
I second that question.
Why don't you just ask him what you need?
Not very helpful here... :bah: ;)

I'd say if you have to go ProTools (in the sense of "I wanna learn how to use it.") buy one of the cheaper MBoxes. But then again: Why make the change at all? :Smug:

I don't really have the energy today to explain all you need to know about Pro Tools. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions though.
Briefly: Buy a Digidesign interfaces and you get Pro Tools LE.
Buy an M-Audio interface and to use Pro Tools you need to buy PT M-Powered separately about $250 including iLok dongle.
The difference between LE and M-Powered is slight.

I don't really have the energy today to explain all you need to know about Pro Tools. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions though.
Briefly: Buy a Digidesign interfaces and you get Pro Tools LE.
Buy an M-Audio interface and to use Pro Tools you need to buy PT M-Powered separately about $250 including iLok dongle.
The difference between LE and M-Powered is slight.

you can however just buy an m-audio interface and download pro tools but its a bit less reliable.

I dont think you necessarily HAVE to switch to pro tools, but if you want to get anywhere in the pro studio world, you need to know it inside and out; sure you can have your cubendo or illogic or reaper (sic) at home coz you prefer that; but 99% of pro studios use pro tools, simple as that.
get your self an m box and start that way.

Hell if you go the m powered route, ive got a m powered installer disk that is still sealed i can sell you.

Pro tools is the fastest editing enviroment, but remember, Cubase (midi wise), can beat the shit out of protools.
I work with both, I just like protools better to cut/paste and such especially if you have a shitty band in the studio and you have to fix their errors.

Chris gave you good advice "for an aspiring audio pro". and i'll second it. as a hobbyist, or DJ, or Podcaster, whatever... doesn't matter what you use... but Pro Tools is still the industry standard for pros, so in that light, CT pointed your right.

hey Maurizio.... Pro Tools having inferior midi is old news.. out of date... with version 7.3 Pro Tools finally bridged the midi gap, and is as good with MIDI as anything else out today. i admit it took a while... but you have to understand that when pro tools began, audio and midi programs were not one and the same. by the birth of Pro Tools, and audio editors in general, midi was already developed and several software packages were being marketed. my fave at the time was Opcode Vision. then came the audio editors... Sound Designer, Pro tools, etc... and they had no midi at all.. they were audio programs..... as things developed the two types of software merged, but those that started life as MIDI-only maintained the midi advantage, and those that started life as Audio-only maintained the audio advantage. but pro tools has finally caught up on the midi side, in my estimation, and the general consensus among pros is pretty much the same.... pro tools midi finally came of age with 7.3 .