Your favorite kick and snare samples

Rupturemetal

I am rape-I am hate
Aug 25, 2006
Bama,U.S.A
Hey guys,I'm trying to make some Addictive Drums presets, what are some of your favorite kicks and snares I can shoot for. I really like the Nevermore kick.Name me some others I might have overlooked. Peace

Personally I like a nice round kick, like the latest Gojira one, or Daylight Dies' Dismantling Devotion. I hate 'wet fart' kicks, ie. Darkwater's 'Calling the Earth to Witness'

Snares at the moment I'm liking the really trashy ones, like Nightwish's Once or Century Child, or the latest two Bodom albums. I think they were all done by the same guy, Karmilla (spelling?), and I don't think I've heard anyone come very close to that. I personally don't like very roomy snares (ie. latest Daylight Dies, or latest Opeth or Amon Amarth).

I think Mikko Karmila uses an Alesis HR16 drum machine for some samples - I have found one sample on there to give that kind of Karmila sound for sure. Also I think Nino Laurenne has a similar kind of mixing sound (check out Thunderstone, Kiuas, Wintersun albums).

I really like roomy snare sounds, but it depends on the band - I don't think it works to well on really fast stuff for example.

I really love the snare off of KSE's record "As Daylight Dies". Seems really fat. As for kicks......hmmmm..... I think my favorite kick tone would be the one from Chimaira's "Impossibility Of Reason" record.

I hate 'wet fart' kicks, ie. Darkwater's 'Calling the Earth to Witness

:lol::lol::lol:I know what you mean by that! Shame, as that was a fucking good (and pretty much unknown) prog metal album...

Some of my favourite kicks (often have meaty low end and ample hi's):

Evergrey - In Search of Truth
Evergrey - Solitude Dominance Tragedy and The Dark Discovery (oldschool sounding kicks, and both recorded on tape, but sounds so good)
Sonata Arctica - Silence
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Portnoy's kicks on most DT albums
The "Sneap Kick" hahaha

Has anyone managed to get a sample of the kick from the last decapitated album? That one was meaty as hell.

I've been using an ion dissonance kick recently.

For any aspiring engineer who relies on outside samples for all of your drum sounds, I would seriously recommend that you spend a lot of time and energy really working with mic'ing and tuning a good physical kick drum (or snare or whatever) so that you can actually gain an understanding of recording in that aspect. Even someone without any knowledge of recording could make a terrible recording of a terrible drum kit sound pretty decent if someone taught them how to use the right software and gave them pre-processed samples, but if you are serious about being an engineer, you'll need to know how to make a kit sound good without samples before anyone will take you seriously (and before you should take yourself seriously!). When I got into recording about four years ago, I definitely was really intrigued by the whole idea of using samples to make my drum recordings sound better, but it wasn't long before I found myself wanting to know how the sounds I like are actually achieved..."Okay, I like the kick on this album, and it's 100% sample replaced, but how did they make the sample sound that way?". I can say from experience that it's a pretty fulfilling feeling to really achieve something good all on your own, and it makes your work so much more legitimate when it's a sound that you're actually responsible for creating. Once you have a practical grasp on what goes into creating good sounds, it then it makes much more sense to go buy the Slate samples (or something), but having that grasp is absolutely key to being a valuable engineer!
I've mentioned this before, but I bought a used 22" birch Pearl Master's Studio kick drum from Guitar Center last year for like $300 (purple, so that's why no one was buying it, haha!), a couple different kinds of heads (went back again later and bought even more), and then borrowed my friend's old kick pedal and some different beaters, and I've spent hours on many occasions experimenting with tuning, dampening, mic choice, mic placement, and everything I can control that factors into achieving a sound. It's definitely helpful to have a certain sound in mind and even to have albums of your choosing to compare it against for perspective, but it's really cool to have those "a-HA!" moments when I realize how to make the kick sound a certain way.

I agree with Aaron,.. spend some time getting real drums. Okay, a lot of people like to sample-replace stuff..

I personally don't, and hopefully won't ever, start to replace other peoples work. For my own use, I use DFHK + apTrigga with samples I've found around the net.

If I have to replace - It's only because I'll have been given a duff snare / kick track (or toms), but hopefully I'll have engineered it and will know what's went on, and EQ can fix it.

But, meh, I know there's a lot of debate about this; but i'm on the real side of drums!

although.... i do like blending Slates snare 1a and snare 19 Z2 for a bit of big room without having to resort to verb

For any aspiring engineer who relies on outside samples for all of your drum sounds, I would seriously recommend that you spend a lot of time and energy really working with mic'ing and tuning a good physical kick drum (or snare or whatever) so that you can actually gain an understanding of recording in that aspect. Even someone without any knowledge of recording could make a terrible recording of a terrible drum kit sound pretty decent if someone taught them how to use the right software and gave them pre-processed samples, but if you are serious about being an engineer, you'll need to know how to make a kit sound good without samples before anyone will take you seriously (and before you should take yourself seriously!). When I got into recording about four years ago, I definitely was really intrigued by the whole idea of using samples to make my drum recordings sound better, but it wasn't long before I found myself wanting to know how the sounds I like are actually achieved..."Okay, I like the kick on this album, and it's 100% sample replaced, but how did they make the sample sound that way?". I can say from experience that it's a pretty fulfilling feeling to really achieve something good all on your own, and it makes your work so much more legitimate when it's a sound that you're actually responsible for creating. Once you have a practical grasp on what goes into creating good sounds, it then it makes much more sense to go buy the Slate samples (or something), but having that grasp is absolutely key to being a valuable engineer!
I've mentioned this before, but I bought a used 22" birch Pearl Master's Studio kick drum from Guitar Center last year for like $300 (purple, so that's why no one was buying it, haha!), a couple different kinds of heads (went back again later and bought even more), and then borrowed my friend's old kick pedal and some different beaters, and I've spent hours on many occasions experimenting with tuning, dampening, mic choice, mic placement, and everything I can control that factors into achieving a sound. It's definitely helpful to have a certain sound in mind and even to have albums of your choosing to compare it against for perspective, but it's really cool to have those "a-HA!" moments when I realize how to make the kick sound a certain way.

agreed

I always use the miced kit and ALWAYS take samples of the kit.
for augmenting drums, if possible I prefer using the kits own samples over using outside samples.

Snare : devildriver -the last kind words
kick : machine head- the blackening, arch enemy -doomsday machine , bullet for my valentine - scream aim and fire,...