Your Favourite Metal Guitarist

Jimmy Page(even though zeppelin isn't metal, I couldn't leave him out) and Jeff Hanneman.

They started Metal, I read it in about 5 books about musical styles.

And Hard Rock and Heavy Metal are the same thing in case anyone didn't know.

They started Metal, I read it in about 5 books about musical styles.

And Hard Rock and Heavy Metal are the same thing in case anyone didn't know.

A third of Led Zepplins stuff is accoustic and the only song which sounds metal would be Kashmir. Led Zepplin influenced heavy rock music, along with the likes of Hendrix. However Zeppelin do not predate a lot of the earliest 70s bands which are often considered metal like Black Sabbath, who are more arguably the first metal act.

you mention dave mustaine. what about marty friedman?

Friedman was great, he made a lot of decent solo albums. When people think the highlights of Megadeth's career they definetely think Rust in Peace, which Friedman was involved in, but he was not involved in a lot of Megadeths earlier work which was ultimately more influential on the style or Peace Sells, a true Megadeth great.

i liked that ihsahn album until i heard him singing about his bowels. i looked it up because i was sure i wasnt hearing it right, but he really was singing about his bowels. now i cant take it seriously. oh well

About this bowels thing, this is a anachronistic expression meaning what you truly want or desire. In the case of this song, this is solitude. There is nothing funny about it.

A third of Led Zepplins stuff is accoustic and the only song which sounds metal would be Kashmir. Led Zepplin influenced heavy rock music, along with the likes of Hendrix.

Jimi Hendrix died a year before Led Zeppelin formed.

1. Wrong. Led Zeppelin was never really metal.

2. Wrong again. Metal has more of a virtuosic edge and tends to be faster, I think.

You have to read about musical history, over time Metal has been meant as something harder than rock and hard rock had been meant as the harder rock that wasn't metal but when metal started it was also called hard rock.

And Led Zeppelin was probably considered way harder than bands at that time, if you look back from now you wouldn't consider them metal. I didn't til I read about it.

I don't care who's right or wrong, this thread was made to present interests so I'd rather not waste more space by posting irrelevant text

A third of Led Zepplins stuff is accoustic and the only song which sounds metal would be Kashmir. Led Zepplin influenced heavy rock music, along with the likes of Hendrix. However Zeppelin do not predate a lot of the earliest 70s bands which are often considered metal like Black Sabbath, who are more arguably the first metal act.

I want to weigh in on this since I was actually at Led Zep's first concert tour in 1969, and was listening to Hendrix when his music was new. These musicians most certainly DID begin heavy metal. While Black Sabbath kicked off the demonic lyrics, there's no doubt that Hendrix and Page were the first to take guitar playing from imitating the old blues masters to "heavy" riffs.

I want to weigh in on this since I was actually at Led Zep's first concert tour in 1969, and was listening to Hendrix when his music was new. These musicians most certainly DID begin heavy metal. While Black Sabbath kicked off the demonic lyrics, there's no doubt that Hendrix and Page were the first to take guitar playing from imitating the old blues masters to "heavy" riffs.

Thank you, I wasn't born then but I read it in books and I know that is not the same as living it, damn I wish I could've lived back then. What my generation is experiencing is the same thing that happened short after rock began, when it was thought of as a passing fad.

Rock was originally Blues taken a number of steps further, the first Rock song (Rocket 88) was unusually loud and wild at that time and people would look at it as Jazz and not Rock N' Roll at all. I'm not sure if there will be anything harder than metal, but if there will be I would love to see it.

Thank you, I wasn't born then but I read it in books and I know that is not the same as living it, damn I wish I could've lived back then. What my generation is experiencing is the same thing that happened short after rock began, when it was thought of as a passing fad.

Rock was originally Blues taken a number of steps further, the first Rock song (Rocket 88) was unusually loud and wild at that time and people would look at it as Jazz and not Rock N' Roll at all. I'm not sure if there will be anything harder than metal, but if there will be I would love to see it.

I was never arguing that Zeppelin were not influential to metal, they were, along with Hendrix, however neither artist was metal. Dont tell me to read up on the history of music or tell me how rock started. Just because Led Zeppelin were harder then the other bands at the time does nto make them metal, they are not metal. Black Sabbath were of the same era as Led Zeppelin, neither really predate each other. Black Sabbath brought to rock music more of what is considered metal, detuned guitars, the dark lyrics, the stage antics. Whether people play it faster or slower, forwards or backwards almost every cool riff has been written by Sabbath.

It was also Sabbath along with the likes of Priest and a lot of the acts that came about in the mid seventies such as Motorhead, Def Leppard and Iron Maiden which led to inspiring the Bay Area thrash scene and contributed to the overall rise of heavy music in many parts of Europe as part of the highly influential NWOBHM scene.

lets just say robert johnson, dude sold his soul to the devil for slammin guitar skills and most proto-metal, esp led zep and hendrix are just bombastic and electric blues tunes. so really the original hessian is a gaunt, southern, black man.

Favorite Metal Guitarists Eh?

Hmm...in order the first three would be

Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath
Dennis D'Amour - Voivod
Tritze - Kreator

I was never arguing that Zeppelin were not influential to metal, they were, along with Hendrix, however neither artist was metal. Dont tell me to read up on the history of music or tell me how rock started. Just because Led Zeppelin were harder then the other bands at the time does nto make them metal, they are not metal. Black Sabbath were of the same era as Led Zeppelin, neither really predate each other. Black Sabbath brought to rock music more of what is considered metal, detuned guitars, the dark lyrics, the stage antics. Whether people play it faster or slower, forwards or backwards almost every cool riff has been written by Sabbath.

It was also Sabbath along with the likes of Priest and a lot of the acts that came about in the mid seventies such as Motorhead, Def Leppard and Iron Maiden which led to inspiring the Bay Area thrash scene and contributed to the overall rise of heavy music in many parts of Europe as part of the highly influential NWOBHM scene.
Well said.

Around 1970, we were already using the term "heavy metal" to describe Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. Maybe it's not the sort of metal you like now, but it was all the metal we had then, and it was fucking heavy.

Plant has said himself that he always hated Led Zeppelin being called metal. I dont see how when 90% of metalheads if not more believe Nu Metal is not Metal Led Zeppelin can possibly cross anyones radar. There was Metal back in 70, Sabbath were doing great and the NWOBHM was really getting kicked off, Zeppelin were not part of that wave or movement, they were just virtuoso rock musicians who happened to have a strong influence on a juvenile version of a heavier style of rock.