Your favourite Novembre album and why.

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
Mine is 'Novembrine Waltz', although I picked up 'Classica' beforehand. I just find 'NW' to be so melodic and melancholic. For me it's the perfect emotional guitar album- at times the very guitar notes seem like a knife through my heart. It's quite an amazing experience.

I suppose in a way that's why I'm so eager for a new album because they can only get better if they continue this style.

I have written it already before, in some previous post.
My fave records are "Wish..." and "Arte Novecento". I also adore "Dreams d'Azur", for it's the memorable first album re-recorded.
"Wish..." - to tell you the truth, it's not been love at first listening (I think I was mad... well, you have to think that the record was released about 10 years ago and in that period, it was a great release for the underground Italian scene!), but once a dear friend of mine told me that the vocalist from Novembre was too much out of tune and she suggested me to listen more carefully the debut album, so that I could've heard his very bad singing... and I felt in love instead! Yeah, I have to admit that sometimes he's really out of tune, but it's his peculiarity and no one sings like him. And, man, the drumming... was astonishing!!! I also love the debut album so much even bcs of most of the lyrix dealing with the sun, the seaside, the waves, nostalgia and so forth, but I don't want to explain more about this. I just let that the beautiful lyrix of Carmelo speak for me (you have no idea how beutiful sound the lyrix translated in Italian, guys!!!).

"Arte Novecento" is a masterpiece, a musical manifesto. It's the leader of a school... sometimes I wonder how Novembre could come out with such beautiful songs and lyrix. I remember I wrote a lot about this record on the official website (I miss it sooo much!!!). It's a real pity that they don't play almost anything from this must during their live gigs... would be cool kind of an acoustic set, as AnathemA did last year, including only songs from "Arte Novecento"... one of my greatest desires...

... but I like all their records... probably I'm just much to tied to the beginning.

Well, urgh, I've seen this thread but I thought it was one I had already answered so I didn't even bothered to look.

The first songs I've heard of Novembre were Flower and My Starving Bambina. For sometime I've had Classica as the top favorite album because of the most aggressive songs and the very dark/melancolic melodies, but now I've moved to Arte Novecento, maybe some other time later I will make up my mind again. One of the first songs that caught my attention when I downloaded the Wish and Arte from mp3.com (the band released these 2 albums in mp3 format due to CD unavailability) was HomeComming. It's been in my top favorite songs ever since! Then it's got 2 wonderful acoustic songs Nursery Rhyme and Will. Well, a lot of reasons but who needs reasons when you're talking about Novembre? ;)

As for what wildhoney said early...I totally agree with her, I love Carmelo's voice even when he loses pitch/tune. Remember that they recorded both of these albums in sweden, at the Unisound studio (an old studio of Dan Swanö), rather than at their current studio in italy (The Outer Sound Studios)...and their stay, their recording and so on at sweden, has a lot of costs involved I reckon, so I think he kind of had to left things as they were. Also, in todays digital recording it's a lot easier to correct pitch by software, which, judging from their last 3 albums and their live bootleg, I think they used it. I mean, he's still out of tune and losing pitch Live. It's not that I prefer singers to sing out of tune, but with Carmelo's voice/timbre/melodies...it's nothing really bad. It's very musical still.

thought i answered this thread already... well here it goes:

my introduction to novembre was nostalgiaplatz which is still my favourite song from the band some months before they released novembrine waltz...

it's difficult to choose in their discography but i think my favs are wish/arte/classica sorry but it's imposible i can't choose between them :) i dont really like the rerecorded version of wish, i think it's because i find wish more fresh less calculated

Oceana said:
thought i answered this thread already... well here it goes:

my introduction to novembre was nostalgiaplatz which is still my favourite song from the band some months before they released novembrine waltz...

it's difficult to choose in their discography but i think my favs are wish/arte/classica sorry but it's imposible i can't choose between them :) i dont really like the rerecorded version of wish, i think it's because i find wish more fresh less calculated

I like your style :Spin:

such a difficult question
Novembre is an almost unique band in my opinion, and I love all their works so it's difficult for me to pick a fave.
I'd say Novembrine Waltz just because it's almost perfect in its balance of aggression/melancholy. but really it's better for just a speck...
regarding Carmelo's vox... he may be out of tune, and maybe on the last two discs the vocals were computer-aided but he can convey emotions in every single word he sings, so who cares if he's out of tune? not me, for sure. and he's a great screamer so it's really fine for me. emotion is the word, not technical prowess.
and his lyrics, even though his english isn't always perfect, are gorgeus... in italian they are even more heartfelt. his main inspiration is Fabrizion De Andrè, a famous italian songwriter who could be considered more a poet...