Your Line

Carpe Mortem

Benevolently Batshit
Aug 21, 2013
There's so much music in the world. There's music that's identical, music that's different, music that's awesome and music that sucks.

I decided a few years ago that I won't listen to anything that's not in English, aside from what I've already enjoyed. I know I'm probably missing out, and I know there's some amazing shit out there, but I'm uni-lingual. I feel I can't fully appreciate lyrics I don't understand anyways.

Too many amazing bands out there to love and listen to them all. There's just not enough hours in the day! So what's your line at what music you limit from your listening pleasures? And do you have exceptions?

Here's a few of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see exceptions immediately on your last.fm, but since you said "as a general rule", fair enough :)

Put it this way... the music has to be pretty goddamn original and unlike anything I've heard before if I'm gonna break my rule. Otherwise I can probably find an almost identical song in english. There's a lot of the same shit going around nowadays.

I mean, dude, some popular artists are just exceptional musicians and producers. Anyone who can dismiss the creativity of Bjork or Thom Yorke needs to pull their head out of their ass.

I agree, bro. TAKE IT EASY OMG.

Put it this way... the music has to be pretty goddamn original and unlike anything I've heard before if I'm gonna break my rule. Otherwise I can probably find an almost identical song in english. There's a lot of the same shit going around nowadays.

What do you listen to primarily? If you like Death Metal or Black Metal, and refuse to listen to it because the lyrics are in another language, that's just stupid. You can barely understand most guttural vocals even when they're in English.

I don't like commercial music written after 1981, as a general rule. I like stuff that takes me out of my comfort zone, and that shit is just too tame.

I like some "commercial" music, but usually it's electronic (New Wave, electronica, some synthpop, some house, etc.).

What do you listen to primarily? If you like Death Metal or Black Metal, and refuse to listen to it because the lyrics are in another language, that's just stupid. You can barely understand most guttural vocals even when they're in English.

Yeah agreed. I even prefer lyrics I can't understand. If I can understand what they're saying then I want it to be somehow meaningful to me, or at least interesting.

A lot of bands fail at writing decent lyrics but are incredible musicians. Those bands I don't want to know what they're saying whether by language or distortion etc.

Yeah I don't have any lines. If I realize I like something I'm not gonna avoid it based on the categorization. I guess I could see myself being unable to enjoy NSBM with clearly comprehensible racist lyrics. Fortunately, with most of the good stuff you can't even tell what language it's in, let alone what the lyrics are about.

There are only a few bands that I actually know the lyrics to, and it's normally because the vocals aren't as incomprehensible or it's a catchy phrase.

Typically, would listen to anything. I don't make any limitations with music or art, unless it's a level of offensive that is impossible to ignore (and if this is the case, it normally isn't that good anyways to be bothered with).

Also, second the Bjork. She's one mainstream artist who not only does her own thing, but is constantly reinventing herself and sound.

On the note of lyrics... I actually care about them and do look up the lyrics to my favorite songs. Then have fun analyzing them, then decide the lyricist was probably stoned so I'm wasting my time. Then remember I want to sing the song successfully, so it's all good. I guess that says a lot.

I'm kinda surprised nobody else has any sort of line. Are you sure you're not lying? I mean seriously, there's so much goddamn music in the world. I got so aggravated with getting into 20 new bands every time I went on lastfm, so now I try to keep it under control.

I dont now about "lines" ..... but i still hate high pithed vocals in thrash ouside of a couple tracks/bands.

I cant stand nu-metal whatoever, i've hated it since it's conception.

I just recently started warming up to power metal in the last few years. I used to hate it with a passion but came to realize that it has its own place in metal.

There's no genre that I absolutely won't listen to. There's at least 1 song I like from every genre I've heard. I won't go deep into a lot of genres. But it's not like I avoid them completely. Anything with really shitty or annoying lyrics/vocals I turn off right away, but idk how to define it beyond that.

In a big list of songs to listen to, I'm gonna ignore the ones that aren't in English because fuck that's a long list.

And in a big list of new bands I've been recommended, I'm likely to skip over the ones using characters which don't exist in the English alphabet.

Because fuck.

That's a long list. And I don't have the time or willpower to listen to every single thing on that list.

I feel I have finally expressed myself succinctly with this post, I apologize for any confusion. Carry on. 'It's Oh So Quiet' was an amazing song.