Your Line

I generally avoid "core" genres. Especially deathcore. And I'm not a fan of the retro stoner/doom stuff. Can't get into it. I find it it horribly derivative and boring. I like my doom mixed with death and black. Most forms of popular music are out, but with everything there are exceptions.

Everything else is fair game. I like trying new stuff though, and find I'm liking more experimental stuff.

99% of black metal with its trebly nonsense about winter, pagan gods, buzzing guitars and god awful vocals.....

female vocalists, any genre

anything where lyrics aren't in English

And then even when they are in English, I can't stand anything Japanese because they take a lot of goofball 80s metal tropes at face value and it comes off as beyond stupid.

Just never clicks with me. Even if it's Doro doing a duet with Lemmy or Udo. I like a few songs from female 70s singer/songwriters, but that's about it. I don't care for the themes of most gothic music which female singers seem to do (complete with corset) within power metal....and then if it's something traditional like Battle Beast or extreme like Arch Enemy, it is very forced and unnatural to me.

I'm driven by lyrics so I like to have everything sung from my perspective, a male's.

99% of black metal with its trebly nonsense about winter, pagan gods, buzzing guitars and god awful vocals.....

female vocalists, any genre

anything where lyrics aren't in English

And then even when they are in English, I can't stand anything Japanese because they take a lot of goofball 80s metal tropes at face value and it comes off as beyond stupid.

Wow, you're about as wrong as you can get while still being into metal.

Wow, you're about as wrong as you can get while still being into metal.

I like good lyrics about things I'm interested in. Most of the time, these subjects are only covered in 'metal' music which is nice because they are bolstered by that powerful sound. I know what I like, keeps those thousands of metal bands out there easy to manage.

Alright nothing against people who listen to different shit or anything - points for being open-minded. But I can't stand many things myself. First of all I would never listen to something overly positive or even moralizing lyrically. Even though I respect ABBA and everything, they are a premium example of something that is just too positive (usually). I can't stand ska for the same reason. Also, I can't stand that rap where niggas use too much auto-tune in the chorus and some even go further and use that crap-sounding auto-tune during the entire song. I really hate what that sounds like and I just don't think it's necessary in rap anyway. What the fuck.

Alright nothing against people who listen to different shit or anything - points for being open-minded. But I can't stand many things myself. First of all I would never listen to something overly positive or even moralizing lyrically. Even though I respect ABBA and everything, they are a premium example of something that is just too positive (usually). I can't stand ska for the same reason. Also, I can't stand that rap where niggas use too much auto-tune in the chorus and some even go further and use that crap-sounding auto-tune during the entire song. I really hate what that sounds like and I just don't think it's necessary in rap anyway. What the fuck.

I'm sure it doesn't, but does your anti-positivity extend as far as Handel's Messiah and whatnot?

I don't really put up any boundaries for the most part. The music I like completely depends on what I'm exposed to. I never listen to the radio or watch much TV so I don't know what music is popular right now. So most pop is ruled out for that reason. I surprise myself sometimes and like things that are completely different than what I usually enjoy. Within metal, I ignore metalcore because I have yet to find one decent band within that genre. I've appreciated (some) deathcore more and more as time as gone on, so I don't have much against that style anymore. I've been listening to a lot of psychedelic and old garage rock stuff like The Stooges lately as well as ambient black metal. Must be all the psychedelics.

I'm sure it doesn't, but does your anti-positivity extend as far as Handel's Messiah and whatnot?

That's not the whoopsy doopsy let's be happy kind of positive I meant. Music this old kind of becomes sort of a fetish anyway, does it not?

I don't really put up any boundaries for the most part. The music I like completely depends on what I'm exposed to. I never listen to the radio or watch much TV so I don't know what music is popular right now. So most pop is ruled out for that reason. I surprise myself sometimes and like things that are completely different than what I usually enjoy.

I'm not sure I'd use the term boundaries anyway. I just learned certain properties of music that I don't enjoy, or some that make it impossible for me to enjoy the rest even if that's fine for me. Isn't that the case with everyone? :err: I think saying "I draw the line at shitty music" is dumb btw but yeah whatever.

Actually the formulation "where you draw the line" would coincidentally be a nice way of avoiding the "what music you think is shitty" because it's more personal / subjective (aka what things in music YOU can't stand) but people went ahead and answered "MUSIC THAT IS SHITTY HUR DUR".

w/e

I don't disagree with you, Onderboy, but you and I both know that this forum calls for such things. If one doesn't frequently tag music as "shitty" or refer to people as "faggots" as often as possible, the pimply cocksuckers of this forum will eat you alive.