Your next guitar: Production model or Custom guitar?

Your next guitar or bass...

• Production model - off the shelves

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Build your own - kit guitars like Warmoth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fully customized - 100% control over the design, built by a luthier

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I'd rather spend the money upgrading my other guitars/basses!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rockerjeff

New Metal Member
Oct 24, 2009
Cupertino
www.haloguitars.com
Imagine if you had... $2000 to spend on your next guitar or bass. Would you prefer a nice production model like a PRS, Les Paul, Strat... or would you prefer to go custom-built like Warmoth or built-from-scratch by a skilled guitar builder/luthier?

Custom from a small company.

Best guitar purchase I've ever made was my custom. It was cool to be in direct contact with the builder, which ensured I was getting EVERYTHING customized to my needs. Nothing generic about my custom axe.

I answered custom but realized after the fact that I was lying. My next guitar is going to be a Fender Strat I've had my eye on for awhile now. After that - custom though. :)

Custom isn't always better. I waited a long ass time for a custom sometime last year, and when I finally got it, I didn't like how it played at all. I'd only ever go with a custom again if I was able to play other guitars that that luthier has made previously inorder to see if I like them. As far as production model guitars, for 7 strings I like the Ernie Ball Musicman Petrucci guitars, both regular and BFR versions, and the Dean Rusty Cooley signature guitar is the best playing guitar I've ever touched, hands down.... but comes with EMGs, which may or may not be your preference... I'd also take a look at Vigier, Suhr, and maybe Caparison

Production model, just for the fact I can go try it out in a shop before I buy it.

I'd love a custom guitar one day and reckon I would know what I'd want, but it's alot of money to shell out and if you aren't completely in love with it at the end then it isn't worth the money and it's not exactly easy to sell on.

Most likely a custom.
If not, hopefully a used Ibanez RG 7620 or K7 model and then mod it to hell and back.

Production...I'm a sucker for the used market. I can't stand buying anything that I can't sell for what I paid. I guess I'm a cheap bastard but so far I've only found one guitar that I've been happy enough with to keep.

Shit I WANT IT ALL:lol::lol::lol:

I have 3 production guitars that are ''playability monsters''
and a warmoth.

I do though wan't to buy a custom22 or custom24 PRS.
But i know my ''holy grail'' is a caparison TAT special.If it only had a fixed bridge:erk:
So maybe a custom will do the trick:heh:

At the moment I start searching for all the stuff I need to build an electric upright bass.
I've got all the machines from my father and grandfather, need some wood (really hard to get such
a big fingerboard and not paying 150$ or more) and piezos and stuff.
At the moment I think it's gonna be a 4 string 42"EUB with a magnetic pickup and a piezo to mix em.
Gonna make a chambered body-hope it works well, if not...damn...but I get all the body wood for free
because my grandfather has a huge amount of great wood-he built furniture and some "wood art" stuff in the past.