your ONE desert island album!

Greeno said:
HOLY MOTHER!!!!!!!!!! Ted, that's a killer story!! Not only did you get to meet Warren but to actually get to play THAT guitar is mind blowing. Maybe it's just a thing with guitar players, but to us certain guitars are as famous as the guys who play them, and that snake skin guitar is one of them!! When I think of Randy Rhoads I think of the white flying-V or the white Les Paul.... when I think of George Lynch it's the ESP Kamikaze or Mr Scarey..... with Ace Frehley it's the black 3 pickup smoking Les Paul...... which I happen to have a little story about.

This is for you Ted, one guitar player to another. (not trying to top your story, that was killer!!)
Back in 1989 or so Plan13 was in a band that got to open up for Icon and Ace Frehley at a local bar. So being the good friend that he is I got to tag along as a roadie. So it's about 20 minutes before Plan13's band goes on and I'm walking around backstage hoping to meet Ace, which I never did (he showed up only in time to suck down some oxygen and hit the stage). However, a friend and I wander into this small room and set down on a couch to chill for a minute and in the corner is a black Les Paul on a stand and it's plugged into an electrical outlet! At first I'm thinking... "Hum, that's strange"... then 3 seconds later it kicks in, and I swear to God I heard a choir in my head singing ..."Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh"... :) I look to my friend and quietly said... "look, the Holy Grail".... We both just stared at it for a minute without talking. We were like 2 little kids daring eachother to touch it, we were scared shitless. So I get up the nerve and place my hand on the headstock just as this huge roadie (the real kind, not like my fake ass) walks in and yells "don't touch the fuckin' guitar", but it was too late, I'd already copped a feel. :) Now I'm sure Ace has more than one of these guitars (think I've even seen a sunburst one) but in my head that was the guitar I remember as a kid seeing him play during his solos, watching it blow smoke. He used it that night, filled that whole damn place up with smoke. His show that night was ok but Icon kicked major ass!!

I love old war stories, anyone else have some? Ted's blows mine away since he actually got to play that guitar!!!

Yeah Baby!!! That night was incredible. That was the highlight of my wasted and useless mucical career, getting to open for Icon was kick ass!

And let us not forget that we (I think you were there Greeno) got to play basketball with L.A. Gunns. And of course, the night I got to meet Corey Klarke, which you're still pissed off about.

Nevermore - The Politics Of Ecstasy

As far as I am concerned the best metal album ever! My al time favorite album is A Sense of Change from Sieges Even. Well, you stupid Hawk! Why in the hell don't you take that album with ya to the desert island? The answer is simple, I could never live without metal!! :loco:

Nice tread ted! :p

Duuuuuuuuuuude what a story!!! You played Warren's guitar!!! He is one of my top 3 guitarists ever along with VH and Lynch!!! I can't believe that! I'd give anything just to see Ratt live, and you got to meet him and he taught you something on guitar!!!

:headbang:

And played basketball with the LA Guns? I'm moving to LA, thats it! Hahaha! I wanna hang out with old rock stars!!

plan13 said:
And let us not forget that we (I think you were there Greeno) got to play basketball with L.A. Gunns. And of course, the night I got to meet Corey Klarke, which you're still pissed off about.

I missed the LA Guns basketball game, would have been cool.... but not being there to meet Corey still keeps me up at night!! I told you I would trade you my memory of seeing White Zombie in a small bar in the middle of WV with 10 other people in the crowd for your night of hanging with Corey. :)

corey klarke.wasnt that the guy from warrior soul?i remember seeing them support metallica years ago.the guy was a real dick-strolled on stage like he owned the place and started making fun of us at the front.so we threw plastic cups of piss at him and he shut up.a real wanker.
i hope some of you boys have better memories of him than me.
i hope even more that i'm talking about the right guy!

sorry ted-not being picky,but at the start you say tom cruise-do you mean tom hanks?
or are you just thinking that being cast away tom cruise style you get better women and some cool gadgets thrown in a la mission impossible?

baldyboy said:
corey klarke.wasnt that the guy from warrior soul?i remember seeing them support metallica years ago.the guy was a real dick-strolled on stage like he owned the place and started making fun of us at the front.so we threw plastic cups of piss at him and he shut up.a real wanker.
i hope some of you boys have better memories of him than me.
i hope even more that i'm talking about the right guy!

That's the guy we're talking about. The guy is kinda strange indeed. He started as a drummer in a punk band as a kid, went on to spoken word stuff, and then singing in Warrior Soul... a very political metal/sonic band. All the guys who got to meet him when they played here in town said that he was cool as fuck. I think he was torn between being an underground musician/artist, and having his band start to get a little recognition and popularity. It was like he started to sabotage his own career. I have a couple video boots of them opening for some big band and he is just going off on the crowd until they boo them off stage. Their first album (Last Decade, Dead Century) is without a doubt one of the best albums of all time.... to me .... mainly because it was the soundtrack of my life for about a year and a half. I'm sure everyone has albums like that, wierd little albums that for some reason mean the world to you.

yep,know what you mean greeno.he was one wierd motherfucker when we saw him though.
i mean,supporting metallica,particularly in those days,was a thankless task-you know who everyone was there to see.but he really didnt help himself at all.
before warrior soul supported them,the gig of thiers before was with danzig supporting.they had just released their first album and i'd only heard it once before the gig.they were way cool-the mighty midget treated it like it should have been treated,they went out there,played thier hearts out and won people (including me)over with their style-not that they blew the 'tallica offstage-this was the and justice tour and for me they were gods,but danzigs approach was just right.go out ,enjoy the big crowd and play your best.not insult the crowd,spit on them and get covered in urine like the kory fella.and did the guitarist in warrior soul think he was the reincarnation of hendrix?

Did you ever hear any of the early Warrior Soul albums, Baldy? Just wondering since it sounds like you were turned off after seeing them live... with good reason it sounds like. I never got to see them live. I think they are very under appreciated, a hidden gem in the history of rock n roll. They were very political and very non-conformist, and from interviews I've read I think Kory would spout off about his beliefs at the drop of a hat. I once saw an interview where he was talking about how he lived on the underground (not musicaly but socially), using fake addresses and fake names. The dude had a real hatred for the government.

i gathered that fro what i remember of them-the guy was a great singer.if i remember rightly the whole band were excellent musically.its just that i couldnt get on with his personality on stage-just from that one gig.i might be judging him far too harshly-maybe it was just a bad show,but it certainly didnt make me go out and buy the album after!know what i mean.?