Your opinion on best musician on each instrument.

Guitar : Chuck Schuldiner, John Gallagher, Dave Mustaine
Vox : Chuck Schuldiner or Frank Mullen for DM, Mikael Akerfeldt and Jonas Renkse for "clean" vox.
Bass : Sean Beasley or Steve Digiorgio.
Drums : Gene Hoglan or George Kollias.

Also should add Thijs "Tace" de Cloedt to the guitar list, hes the guy who was on the first Aborted albums not including their first. Some of the best DM solos in songs like Meticulous Invagination and The Holocaust Incarnate.

If Terrence Hobbs is the "main" guitarist in Suffocation then hes definitely up there too.

Pete Sandoval is pretty amazing with how he can play fast and keep it boring, that's true.

Drums: Gene Hoglan
Bass: Billy Gould, Jonas Bjorler, Cliff Burton
Guitar: Trey Azagthoth, Erik Wallin, Mike Amott
Vocals: Mike Patton, Matt Barlow, KK Warslut, Tomas Lindberg

Guitar : Chuck Schuldiner, John Gallagher, Dave Mustaine
Vox : Chuck Schuldiner or Frank Mullen for DM, Mikael Akerfeldt and Jonas Renkse for "clean" vox.
Bass : Sean Beasley or Steve Digiorgio.
Drums : Gene Hoglan or George Kollias.

Also should add Thijs "Tace" de Cloedt to the guitar list, hes the guy who was on the first Aborted albums not including their first. Some of the best DM solos in songs like Meticulous Invagination and The Holocaust Incarnate.

If Terrence Hobbs is the "main" guitarist in Suffocation then hes definitely up there too.

Jonas Renkse is the man. Katatonia is by far one of my favorite bands. I must say though, when my band played with them a few years ago, we met them, and they were about what you'd expect them to be: awkward and disconnected. It was kind of wierd. :lol: but anyway, they're sweet.

Are you trying to say that Esperanza Spalding doesn't qualify as an influence because she's not a metal artist, or were you baffled by the breadth of her talent?

Seriously, not many musicians come close to her talent and accomplishments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDyzMmh9EUA

Not gonna lie, that was pretty sexy. It was just a wtf to see her mentioned on a forum known for death metal etc. It's like someone coming in and saying Pavarotti for best voice. Also, she's not the only good jazz bass player, you think she's better than every other jazz player? I thought we were keeping it strictly metal. I change mine to John Williams or Joe Pass on guitar then.

Are you trying to say that Esperanza Spalding doesn't qualify as an influence because she's not a metal artist, or were you baffled by the breadth of her talent?

Seriously, not many musicians come close to her talent and accomplishments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDyzMmh9EUA

Well hold on a second. If we're talking non-metal (which would be dumb since this is a metal forum) then I think we're gonna start coming up with some VASTLY different lists. To suggest that the very best people to ever pick up an instrument are all metal artists is crazy, I figured it was implied that we were talking metal.

Well hold on a second. If we're talking non-metal (which would be dumb since this is a metal forum) then I think we're gonna start coming up with some VASTLY different lists. To suggest that the very best people to ever pick up an instrument are all metal artists is crazy, I figured it was implied that we were talking metal.

Exactly

Yeah, if we were going with non-metal artists I don't think I could even make a list broken up into individual instruments

It'd just be

Sera Cahoone, Jesse Sykes, Heather McEntire, Deb Talan, Jenn Ghetto as my favorite musicians with no real specialization attached to them just I like everything they do

I was actually just making conversation out of Herr Schrauben's mention of Martin Mendez as his biggest influence. I would not have taken as much of a determined approach to the bass guitar and my band's career these last 6 months if I had not discovered her and seen her play at the Fox Theater.

My favorites are

Piano: B-flat Major
Guitar: Stevie Floyd
Drums: Jamie Saint-Merat
Cello: Jackie Perez Gratz
Keys: Marcus Euren