Dream Theater

Frostangelstorm said:
Dream Theater didn't invent shit. If anything, they are derivative and are what makes Progmetal a joke in the minds of most people.

Derivative of what? Yes, everyone has influences, but who was doing their type of progmetal before Images & Words?

I am a Dream Theater fan and I am neither a pasty white computer geek or a 40 year old man. In fact, most of the fans I've met are other guys in their early to late 20s who listen to everything from black metal to classic rock. I don't get it - whenever someone plays a classical song or writes a symphony that's fast and has a touch of "showing off", it's considered brilliant and genius, but when DT come out playing fast stuff and "showing off" it's wankery? Fucking hypocrites.

MasterOLightning said:
Haha...He's right in choosing DT over In Flames, Trivium, and Slipknot.

AMEN,

Trivium=ABSOLUTE SHIT
Slpknot=even more shit
In Flames=eh, their not that bad but honestly there is alot better dont waste your time

but I have to say, he needs to open his eyes and accept even more music then just dream theater..dont worry its a stage, itll go away :p

Classical never shows off, DT bases their career at it. They don't pay tribute to their influences, they blatantly rip them off. I don't give a shit on whether DT fans are fat or whatever, or even what they listen to beside DT. And progmetal existed before Images And Words and wasn't any less original than any DT album.

Frostangelstorm said:
Classical never shows off, DT bases their career at it.
And you realized that they are simply showing off. Your relation with D.T. music is poor.

Frostangelstorm said:
They don't pay tribute to their influences, they blatantly rip them off.
Point where they rip off ideas of their influences in their albums until "Six Degrees" (= vast majority of their discography)

Frostangelstorm said:
And progmetal existed before Images And Words and wasn't any less original than any DT album.
Are you blind? All acknowledge that there were bands playing progressive metal before D.T., but noone played like D.T. or did what they did. And they did something AMAZING, like it or not.

Btw im curious on who you think played progressive metal before D.T.

Does it seem like it to anyone else that DT fans only listen to DT. Im not to sure because i only have 2 friends that will listen to them and both of them listen to nothing else. Their cd's in their cosist of dt and only dt...i think one of them has a stradivarius cd also..which is complete shit.

InsaneGrosvenor said:
Im not going to call any of the bands you guys listed "shit" because everyone has preferences and Idunnonuten clearly has no idea. He liked in flames and soilwork and he claims he likes heavier stuff like between the buried and me and remembering never but if you get in his car..all he has is dream theater and solo albums of patrucci...its gotten the point where i cant ride with him anymore.
I dont understand why you would call in flames, trivium, and slipknot shit???? i really dont
First of al I've never even mentioned remembering never so thats bullshit. Maybe you should decide whether or not you like In Flames before you argue for or against or whatever it is you're trying to do for them. BTBAM are twice as heavy and technical as Slipknot (ok maybe three or four times) or DT. And I was using those bands to try to divert this guys musical interest like you asked so maybe use your brain a little before you try and criticize me. so until you get your shit together, fuck off.
Goddamn knot fans.

Narg n Lamb said:
AMEN,

Trivium=ABSOLUTE SHIT
Slpknot=even more shit
In Flames=eh, their not that bad but honestly there is alot better dont waste your time

but I have to say, he needs to open his eyes and accept even more music then just dream theater..dont worry its a stage, itll go away :p
Indeed. I used to listen to theater until i realized that there were bands that knew how to play real progressive music (Opeth, Subterranean Masquerade,
Akercocke).

Look at my sig, I enjoy DT very much.

At this point I have their 8 albums, a demo and single cd, the EP, 2 live albums, 5 fanclub cds, and the Live At Budokan dvd.

That's all I have to say.

Lots of people are ignorant when it comes to DT.

They were my favorite band 8 years ago. Bands like that didn't really exist throughout the 90's, and they were hugely important for the development of prog in heavier music. I haven't really liked them much since SFAM, but most of their albums in the 90's i still think are exceptional. I like them for their songwriting. Wankery, maybe. But at least it's interesting wankery. I guess it's probably different for some of the younger people around who don't know what it's like not to have all these new bands to chose from.