your POD experience...

Fuentealba

Hyperblaster
Sep 26, 2006
Santiago, Chile
I was wondering, I've used only two of the amps that POD emulate (Dual Rect y JCM 900).

my question is:

you, that may used some of the other amps and cabs, could tell us what do you really think about your POD experience and if you have tried the real deal, does POD do it's job properly? I mean does it emulate good.

I've read that every amp sounds different BTW

thanks!

EDIT: WOW THIS WAS MY 100 POST!

IMHO the POD (xt) is a good tool, but it does not come close to the real deal. At the end of the day, it sounds like exactly what it is... an emulation. I'm not saying it's not good (hell, I've had a few people telling me the guitar sounds on the Krypt-demo sounds great, and that's POD all the way), but there's definitely a difference between the sound of the POD and the sound of the amp it's supposed to emulate. It's too clean, too close, too harsh, too predictable. I love my POD, as a tool, but I would never use it on an album unless it was my only option.

[edit] To clarify my experiences of the POD: the low end is wrong.. you can hear that the sound has not travelled through air. The high end is also wrong... it has this piercing edge that cannot be tamed by using an eq. I DO NOT talk about the phenomena that certain people are referring to as "the fizz of the POD", because real amps have that too. This is something else, and I can't really put my finger on it.

[edit] To clarify my experiences of the POD: the low end is wrong.. you can hear that the sound has not travelled through air. The high end is also wrong... it has this piercing edge that cannot be tamed by using an eq. I DO NOT talk about the phenomena that certain people are referring to as "the fizz of the POD", because real amps have that too. This is something else, and I can't really put my finger on it.

There are some digital artifacts on the high end for sure. Probably something to do with the POD processing the "cab impulse" sound. I don't know what's causing the problem, but something "digital" f*cks it up.

In my experience with the pod V2, XT and pod pro they don't compare to the real thing and seem to lack the tightness of the real deal. And also the EQ adjustments don't always sound right, especially the midrange

I still use my V2 on a dailey basis with a od808 infront of it and it still sounds great though

....I agree with everything TheStoryteller said :)

My experience of the POD 2 and the XT is that the amps sound nothing like the real things...I found on the POD 2 that the Soldano XR(?) preamp sounded more like my real Dual Rec than the Dual Rec...

While they don't sound bad per se, There is a weirdness to the sounds because the tones are made to sound like they've already been recorded, so you don't get the 100% "2 feet away from the stack" tone. And I've always found they "feel" odd when playing through them...it's difficult to explain. I know what I mean though.

I tried the same settings on my POD XT live on the Dual Rectifier sim as I dialled in on a real Dual Rec and it sounded nothing like it, tried tweeking the POD for ages still couldn't get it to sound like the real thing. Had more sucess with the 5150 model though but still not close enough.

See, i treat pod like an amp itsself...

I don't try and get it to sound like other amps, i just try to make a sound i like.

If you forget all preconceptions of "real amps" and "digital emulation" and just make a sound that sounds good to you regardlessof it sounding like a dual cab, multi mic'd mesa boogie triple rec in a fantastic room or not.

I also agree. Main issues for me:

-problems with the high end, very hard to get rid of using EQ but can be done
-it lacks the feel of sound raging through air into a mic, can be fixed by using convolution cab sim afterwards
-but most important: it lacks the character of real amps, that gritty growly screamy mids that also sets apart most amps. Unfortunately that's not something you can "add" to your sound and curious enough not one of the modeling companies has nailed this part of modeling yet.

Names of the amps in the pod are only a reference, not even an emulator.
I use POD Xt for my homestudio and it's great but as Fredrik says, it is too close, in the face sound, the sound does not travel through air.
I also own a Pod Xt pro for stage with a Peavy 100 watts tubeamp and a 12x4 Behringer cab and it sound AWESOME! It is not a Dual rectum or 5150 or Engl or any other thing, it's just a Pod, and it sounds like a Pod, and I really like it!

Now I on will buy another cab, Behringer is great for 300 € but I prefer something better.

I think that the POD is an amazing tool that many people don't quite get. It's not trying to sound like an amp in the room with you but rather an amp that is miked, slightly eq'ed and pumped through your studio monitors. It's a recording tool that can be used live. And no, the amp models will not and can't sound "just like the original amp" but they can sound quite good. So if it works, why not use it?

Names of the amps in the pod are only a reference, not even an emulator.
I use POD Xt for my homestudio and it's great but as Fredrik says, it is too close, in the face sound, the sound does not travel through air.
I also own a Pod Xt pro for stage with a Peavy 100 watts tubeamp and a 12x4 Behringer cab and it sound AWESOME! It is not a Dual rectum or 5150 or Engl or any other thing, it's just a Pod, and it sounds like a Pod, and I really like it!

Now I on will buy another cab, Behringer is great for 300 € but I prefer something better.

Yeah basically thats how I mainly use it through a Marshall 9005 power amp, sounds good enough to me, just wish I could affford another great valve head. Had to go with the POD and power amp after my last head went up in flames lol.

Out of the cabs, I think the Line 6 4x12 sounds the best. A marketing tool, if you ask me. Obviously, making the line 6 stuff sound the best, would make people try their cabs.:lol: I don't use anything but the ubershall and 5150 amps with 808, line 6 4x12. Everything else is crap!

I have heard many users and many clips... first of all, there is this digitalness in the POD that you really can't get rid of, but hell, it sounds really great when you EQ and compress it right.

It is missing something, speaker movement... if line 6 find a way to emulate that properly with the next POD, it will be a great, great tool.

Right now, i feel it's great for demos and practice, and the price is great, you get so many amps, mics, and heads it's really a great deal, and like i said, some can get it to sound damn good, almost like the real deal but for way less money.

If one buy a PODxt with the extra bundle, a cheap ass poweramp (2x100watt or something), and a Line6 4x12, you have a rig that can do almost everything. Not exactly like any existing amp, of course, but you can get everything from the gayest, silkiest clean sound, to something that's impossible to play with due to the amount of distortion. Which leads me to a question:

Why does such a high percentage of the worlds guitarists desperately seeking a guitar tone, that everybody else have? All great sounds comes originally from people who went their own way, saying "fuck that, I'll do it my way".

It's probably just me... but has anyone upgraded from pod 2.0 to podxt and have found they prefer the pod 2.0 sound? It just comes out warmer for me... :/