Your sound...

Jul 30, 2005
Hey guys,

Have not been on here for awhile, was working with my Pod X3 Live the other night and was just wondering what you guys all used to get your best recorded or live sound, whehter it be guitar, bass, vocals, or drums. So what's your gear setup? Just thought it might be an interesting topic. :)

Awesome, I have been toying with some different sounds on my Pod, I think getting that great metal sound can either make you or break you as a band or guitarist.

I have less recording skill than a newborn. I cant count to click track my various timings... Im not happy with my "BLACK BOX" and dont have the necessary microphones to do good air recording. I'll need to figure something out soon because my project is more than a little long in the tooth. Ultimately I have a friend with decades of recording experience and is a master of tone and production who has a nice studio set up and with some saved money will go to him for the proper final quality level.

There will never be a myspace. :lol:
There may be a UM forum at some point, when the album is finished and I'm hard at work on the follow up.

As of now, there are many demos and partially finished mixes that I will keep to myself.

There will never be a myspace. :lol:
There may be a UM forum at some point, when the album is finished and I'm hard at work on the follow up.

As of now, there are many demos and partially finished mixes that I will keep to myself.

What style of music is it? Do you use a drum machine or do you play those too?

Guitars:
EBMM Musicman Axis Super Sport
Fender Tele (with some mods)
Ibanez Jem7vwh
Taylor 114ce
Some cheap washburn classical (totally not a concert level instrument...but it sounds good and I do all my classical playing on it for the time being. I gig on it and haven't gotten complaints yet, so I think it'll stay at least until I have the money for a nicer instrument)

Amps:
Mesa Boogie F30
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Blues Jr.
(and I'm about to pick up a Fender Twin and possibly an Egnator Rebel 30)

Effects:
Keeley 4-knob compressor
Ibanez TS9
Xotic BB preamp
Suhr Shiba Drive
Eventide Modfactor
MXR Carbon Copy
EB VPjr.
EB Wah
Richard Teese RMC3 wah
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss CE-5
MXR 10-band EQ

Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables (instrument to pedals/pedals to amp) and George L's cables on the pedal board

All effects are powered by a Voodoo Lab PP2+ and are usually on my Pedaltrain board

Other stuff
Ebow
Dunlop Glass slides (I'm pretty sure I use model number 212...short/heavy)

Some of this stuff is rarely used and there is also quite a bit of stuff not listed that I use but doesn't belong to me. The sounds I go for vary quite a bit, as I do a pretty wide variety of things.

I've been trying to keep my "sound" as simple as possible when tracking and adding more effects when mixing in Pro Tools. Lately been playing around with Reamping DI's from other people and getting some good results. Here's one example

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4040966/GG Triamp 03.mp3

Got the rythme guitars just simpled use a HK Triamp mkII, a randall iso cab and 2 mics a Sennheiser 421 pointed at the cone and a SM57 on the edge of the speaker off axis.
For the Lead i used one mic SM57 at the cone off centered a bit and used a Tube Screamer also in the signal path.

Drummer here, not a guitarist, but I have a question. When I record it's usually with not very expensive of a rig. I found that by spending a long time with mic placement and with mixing, I could get quite a good sound out of mediocre drums and recording equipment. Sure, nothing like a professional set-up, but still the difference was huge and I learned a lot about mixing in the process. I don't know anything about guitar, though. It seems like guitars need quite a bit of gear and tweaking to sound good; what's the minimum that one would need to get an ok-sounding guitar track?

batera, you are well on your way to success. guitar is just like drums. good sound = good sound. if you can extract it from what you have, then you have won. it's just as hard to get good sound out of expensive gear as out of cheap stuff. the real sound quality comes from the treatment, which you seem to have a handle on.