Your thoughts on Damnation?

mark_bwaite

One Man Gang
Oct 15, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It's the first Opeth album I bought, I find it is a great change of pace to their other stuff, although I don't own their other material I have an idea of what it is like. What were your first impressions of this album?

well done, but you get nostalgic quickly and find yourself putting orchid, MAYH, or whatever back into the cd player
its different, still has an opeth feel though, especially in the bass lines, but compositionally and in song progression, its doesnt measure up to earlier stuff like orchid

Yes, it's quite different compared to the other Opeth albums. I haven't listened to it a lot, because I bought it just a couple of days ago. :p There's a lot of nice 70's feel to it, especially with the drums and keyboards. Cool vocal lines and some nice guitar solos. There are some a bit weird stuff in there (Death Whispered A Lullaby, Closure, Weakness) that I don't like, but perhaps they will grow on me with time.

Its more depressive than other Opeth albums I heard, especially Hope Leaves (Made me go out and get drunk with suspicious ppl from the park next door :)) But still it is a logical continuation to previous Opeth releases. Its great.

SunlapseVertigo said:
I really like it, but they could have made some of it a bit more opeth-like (longer, more winding songs, etc.....)
Yeah I agree. I realy like this album a lot, its very nice and relexing album with some very interesting and unique moments on it. My only real disapointment is that only Clousure and Windowpaine didn't follow the convetional song structure. Anyways I can't complain much every songs except Weakness is top quality. It definatly ranks near the top of my list of best albums of 2003.

Darkness_Claimed_my_Flesh... said:
yeh damnation rocks, least fave opeth album but still one of the best albums round! :) i just got into weakness and omg the lyrics are sooo good, most depressive song since to bid you farewell
I pity people who dont like damnation... sure its question of taste...but this albom is really a jewel and like all the other opeth alboms grows STRONGLY with time. I remember listening much to it when it came out and then got bored kinda quick. Now i listen to it from time to times like the rest of the alboms and it definitely OWNZ!

If Opeth ever releases an album like Damnation again, most would say "here's another Opeth-like release", or something that gets that feeling across. What I'm saying is, each album Opeth has put out has been different. I don't think anyone has the right to say that Damnation isn't "Opeth-like." It's not like Opeth to do the same thing twice! I don't think the album was built for long songs. They've released it, so it's "Opeth-like," I say.

Now for my actual thoughts on it... I didn't like it at first, but then I realized that it's probably my second favorite Opeth album. It'll definitely become a classic. I like almost every song equally. I found To Rid The Disease to be just as catchy as any other song off the album, but it's probably my least favorite. My favorite? The first three songs off the album... All of them are excellent, though. It's really hard to pick favorites. I'd say my favorite part of the album is the chorus to Death Whispered A Lullaby. "Oh... Sleep my child..."