my thoughts on damnation

Ectoplasma said:
I'll enjoy the minority here...Damnation and Deliverance are cool albuns but I'm losing step by step my love with Opeth...you know, when the band is about to release a new stuff they say, people say that it'll be an amazing material and and we/me get really excited to listen to it and when you finally do it...the album is less than what you imagined and you can't link it to what people said it would be...so, this is what happened to me with Deliverance and Damnation...too many positive rumours and deception from my side.

Honestly you don't have anyone else to blame but yourself. Don't get me wrong. All the impressions I have from ppl talking about one album before the release get's me pinned on needles. I do have great hopes for Damnatin and I will wait for it until released officially. But don't trust the others' opinions, hear for yourself the next time

Going back on topic for a moment, I think Damnation is a great, understated album which only loses a bit of charm because of the lack of moving from brutal to beautiful, my favourite opeth trait... its sort of 'nice into nice' for the whole thing. I DO like that akerfeldt seems to be singing from quite a personal point of view... IMO there is always such a sense of loss within his music, like something happened to the guy that deeply affected him, and this album touches on losing someone close to you, with less melancholy lyrics than you're used to with opeth. reminds me of zakks wyldes book of shadows album in feel.... confessions and regrets and such rather than MOTHERFUCKING CUNT TALKING SUCH SHIT lol