my thoughts on damnation

Morgour

Knight of Gondor
Nov 6, 2002
mercia
Visit site
having heard it for the first time last night i came away quite bemused by the whole thing.
Obviously musically it is amazing, but it doesnt seem quite right, it just doesnt seem opeth, i cant say it was or wasnt what i was expecting because quite frankly i wasnt sure what to expect from this.
i didnt warm to the songs atall, they didnt make me go 'thats fucking amazing' how the other acoustic/mellow opeth songs do.For me there is somthing missing, some quallity which makes Opeth work.
The songs are completely different to other acoustic opeth songs, however at some points i found myself expecting a heavy part to come in, which i think the album would have benefitted from.
For what it is the album is very good musically,very original with great melody, but it isnt Opeth.I hope they do not persue this theme for future albums. However i will still be purchasing the album.
Lets just hope this is a one off.

sorry mikeal, better luck next time :Smokin:

I can't get enough of Damnation, I listen to it constantly. The fact that it's different from other Opeth albums is one of the reasons why I like it so much. I listen to different Opeth albums depending on what mood I'm in and lately it's been a Damnation/Still Life mood.

I'll enjoy the minority here...Damnation and Deliverance are cool albuns but I'm losing step by step my love with Opeth...you know, when the band is about to release a new stuff they say, people say that it'll be an amazing material and and we/me get really excited to listen to it and when you finally do it...the album is less than what you imagined and you can't link it to what people said it would be...so, this is what happened to me with Deliverance and Damnation...too many positive rumours and deception from my side.

I like Damnation a *lot*, but I agree that much of it sounds more like an Akerfeldt solo project, or Wilson side project. It's kind of on the cusp of being Opeth and being something else.

I love both D1 & D2, but a single album with highlights from each would be greater than the sum of its parts IMO. I mean, it would truly be stratospherically, divinely classic.

I fucking love Damnation, mainly because I try not to think of it as what it could of been, but what it is - an amazing musical triumph. I too was offput by what I heard because I was expecting something different but I came to realise that this view would hinder me from enjoying the CD to the fullest. Now I can't get enough.

I think people will start to appreciate it much more in the long run... People keep saying that it "doesn't sound like Opeth," but then again what two Opeth albums sound the same? Just take Morningrise to My Arms, Your Hearse... That was a pretty big transition, and so was Blackwater Park to Deliverance. That's probably the biggest reason I love this band so much... they're not content with releasing the same material twice, and that makes it all the better for the fans. I can't wait to see what they do next!

Reactions: Schism
Yeah these were my exact impressions when I had first listened to the album... about a week and 10 listens later, it's been growing on me and I'm starting to appreciate what it is, even though I feel it could've been better if Damnation and Deliverance were both one album.. the mellow material on Damnation would definately be amazing for some standard Opeth music (if there is such a thing).

But as it is, I enjoy the album alot more now, and I suggest you just give it time and you will slowly start appreciating it more.

Oh by the way another gripe I still have with the album is that it's constantly too dark and sombre... it could have benefitted from more tracks like Ending Credits which have that awesome 'Epilogue' feeling of uplifting... one of my favourite aspects to Opeth's music.

When My friend first played the cd for me, I had a hard time beliving it was Opeth. Not that I didnt like it, not at all, infact I loved it.
I suppose I expected a: patterns in the ivy/for absent friends kind of sound.
The cd reminds me of english/scandinavian(can i use the slash anymore :) ) folk tracks. Closure sounds like the town theme from diablo the game. LOL
Weakness sounds nothing like, for me, previous Opeth, must be the organ sound (I swear i read an artical where M.A said he would never use a keyboard, "We are a rock band" lol) But I have to admit its one of my fav tracks on the cd, so far top ten songs from all their cds.

Opeth really suprized me, They ARE extreamly progressive, not in the music label sence, but this record is a change a forward movment.

It took me awhile to "warm" up to the songs, I dont know if it was shock or maby I expected too much or too little. They did grow on me and then overtook me and now own me.

Am I wrong or is there no growling on this cd? :)

My GF hates the new cd, she can hardly stand opeth, I think this pushed her over to "Never Play Opeth When Im around". Its too good for her. :)
I suppose she will go listen to the Linkin Park cd and tell me how this shit is way better then opeth "Look at how they rock playing the same 4 power cords, can opeth do that" Which I reply, "no dear, no they can't" while I try to play the forest of october solo.

I swear i read an artical where M.A said he would never use a keyboard, "We are a rock band" lol)

Yeah i think I recall him saying that, I think it was around the MAYH era. I remember being kind of disappointed that he said that, I had alwasy wanted them to incorporate at least some kind of keyboards :)

Hrmmm, I often feel that Opeth's music is too 'personal' for some people. In that, I mean they don't often groove out or 'rock out' or whatever, because they spend most of their time trying to be emotional and have a calm beauty. I think that draws away a lot of people who like their music loud and obnoxious (such as Linkin Park). My friends all think Opeth is 'boring'...the reason being that Opeth is not 'in your face' (they heard some of the calmer sections)...little do they realise that upon closer inspection this 'boring' music contains alot of beauty that your nearest loud, non-subtle rock band could only hope to achieve.

Amen Static. It really takes patience to appreciate, the music is not obtrusive in any way, the only way you'll get something out of it is if you give yourself into it, give it your full attention.

How the hell have you heard Damnation already!?! I thought the Album comes out in early April...well...then again I live in the states so things might be different. All I can say is that I am egarly awaiting this album, anything created musically by this band is worthy of anyone's ear. It is simply amazing.

HaloX

I've been listening to Damnation for about 6 weeks now, and it is a musical triumph!
The songs are stunning, with a very clean and somber production. Only a few of the songs made an initial impact, but as time went by, they all started to sink in. And still the songs are growing on my every time I listen to it.
The guitar-work is marvellous, and imo much more emotional than previous releases, a quality that is often overlooked in the world of metal.
I can see why some people don't enjoy Damnation, but only because their musical taste can't bridge the gap the Opeth is crossing.

For me, I like the CD because it's very melodic, moody, showing anoyher side to the enigma that is Opeth. The guys are amazing musicians, and I think for them to be able to carry the metal flag and still put forth an effort like this shows that they truly do have incredibly varied views and inspirations. I like the CD; as a poster above stated, when I first heard it, nothing jumped out as "fucking amazing;" however, after a couple of listens I am beholden to the majesty it has.
For this CD, my advice is take it for what it is - see it in the vein it's intended to be seen in.

baphomet said:
Closure sounds like the town theme from diablo the game. LOL

:headbang: Yeah... I loved that theme... Now the wait will get even harder... thanks alot dude :zombie: :)