Your TOP 6 Metal/Music Idols!

i just thought of another one.
my grandpa.
he played the trumpet when he was a kid (some 60 years ago..)
i never heard him, but he is my idol in everything else, and when i started playing guitar he was the most encouraging realtive i had. he told me amazing stories of him playing jazz in local clubs.

also carlos santana.
his song ´black magic woman´ was the first song i ever learned to play.

Let's see...

Taneli Jarwa (Ex-Sentenced, The Black League)

Wrote some of the best lyrics ever, and also some of the best song on the first Black League album & Amok. This is the shit that got me playing and writing.

Tenkula & Lopakka (Sentenced)

Mainly Tenkula, as he has wrote most of the songs. The lyrics by Lopakka sometimes hit it, sometimes don't...

Stanne, Sundin, Henriksson & Co. (Dark Tranquillity)

Their songwriting is so much a group effort, that it's hard to point out an individual. Most multilayered, complex and deep melodeath out there. Everything works.

Nyström & Renkse (Katatonia)

Most emotive songs and lyrics evers.

Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)

A composer above all. Does both heavy shit, and acoustic/easier stuff, and does them both with a perfect sense of style.

Dave Wyndorf (Monster Magnet)

Fuckin' rocks!

That makes six doesn't it? :cool: Hope I didn't forget anyone.

edit: Misspelled ÅkerfelDt. Shame on me.

Shit, I really can't cardinalize my top six since they are always changing. I would say that right now it would have to be:

1. Jonas Renkse/Anders Nystrom
2. Aaron Turner
3. Justin Broadrick
4. Steve Von Till/Scott Kelley
5. Adrian Smith/Dave Murray
6. Nick Holmes/Gregor Mackintosh

Lemme see here, and these are not in a particular order...

1: Glenn tipton ( judas priest... fathers of all... )
2: Chuck shouldiner ( do i need to say more? )
3: Niklas Sundin ( i liked his compositions better, but everything on D.T rules so :S )
4: Jonas Renkse/Anders Nystrom ( of course or i wouldnt be here )
5: Mikael Åkerfelt ( that guy knows his stuff too damn well... )
6: Cavanaugh brothers ( not everything in anathema rules, but ill go with Judgement, and alternative 4 to the grave)

devin,peter,warrel,mikael,tom,dani and many others. if you need last names to know who im talking about then you dont listen to metal. oh yeah and mutha fuckin dan swano for an honorary mention.

Hobo said:
i think he ment dani minogue

I think she's spelled Dannii, but it might still be her. Tr00 goddess of metal.

fat bastard said:
devin,peter,warrel,mikael,tom,dani and many others. if you need last names to know who im talking about then you dont listen to metal. oh yeah and mutha fuckin dan swano for an honorary mention.

Damn. I always thought this was metal that I'm listening to. Well, maybe it just isn't then... Who the hell is Warrel?

Peter Steele or Tägtgren? And Tom as in Aray? Is this some sort of a twisted mindgame? Do I have to play?

damn rights i meant warrel dane and tagtren, and by tom i meant the singer/guitarist from evergrey. ii know that evergrey might not be a favourite of people here but the man can fucking sing and hes no slouch on the six string either. he brings so much emotion into every song with his vocals much like jonas at his best and he does it without sounding like anybody else. as far as warrel goes i find him totally original in the way he arranges his vocal melodies without resorting to cliches for the most part and by not really sounding like a power metal singer as i ve kinda come to hear them. as far as dani filth goes i ve always loved his lyrics and his ability to come across as a sort of storyteller with his use of dynamics and everchanging vocal stylings within songs. while i do like his voice for the most part i do realize that parts of his voice can be a little annoying to others. i dont mind the high parts and tend to enjoy them and found him to peak vocally on cruelty and the beast. after that he started bringing in these kind of death style grunts which i feel he really sucks at when compared with the true greats and it i also recognize that a lot of what he does best doesn t come across as well live since its impossible to layer the vocals and blend the whispers and screams like in the studio where it seems that he does a lot of piecing parts together. i would have to say though that devin townsend is probably the man though in both his own band and syl and is an amazing producer. i would still love to hear some of blakkeims solo stuff though. i love his songwriting in katatonia and bloodbath. jinn seems to be his biggest fan on here so maybe he could explain why i should finally get off my ass and finally try to find those diabolical masquerade cds. i cant help but feel like im missing out.

fat bastard said:
i would still love to hear some of blakkeims solo stuff though. i love his songwriting in katatonia and bloodbath. jinn seems to be his biggest fan on here so maybe he could explain why i should finally get off my ass and finally try to find those diabolical masquerade cds. i cant help but feel like im missing out.

Damn straight I'm Anders' biggest fan! I may not have the biggest collection of stuff, or the entire discography [due to the fact that I live in Houston Texas, where country and rap flourish], but what I lack in material possessions, I make up with HEART!

A simple explination to get off your ass and get some DM cds? oh that's easy. Go to www.diabolicalmasquerade.com click on the discography link, then listen to the samples.

DM is one of those bands that speaks for itself. listen and you'll see why.