Your Top Three Thrash Metal Albums?

I listen to so little thrash nowdays that it's hard to make a list, but probably:

Mental Vortex
Ride the Lightning
Pleasure to Kill

Is To Mega Therion a valid choice? If so it definitely replaces Pleasure to Kill!

Yeah I know, missing Slayer, but w/e.

I wouldn't put Celtic Frost in Thrash Metal personally.

the title track is definitely the 'goofiest' song on HELL AWAITS so idk what you're talking about ST. doesn't have anywhere near the seriousness, labyrinthine composition or intensity of something like 'at dawn they sleep', or even 'kill again' for that matter. i love it though, don't get me wrong, but it'd probably fit more easily onto the debut than anything else on that album.
To me the title track of Hell Awaits is the least goofy song off either of the first two by a long shot. Obviously the arrangement is not complex (and that doesn't have anything to do with goofiness anyway) but the way it sets up the album for purest evil outweighs the delivery of said evil on the rest of the album imo. South of Heaven on the other hand is ice cold from start to finish. Even the JP cover. Songs like Ghosts of War, Silent Scream, Read Between the Lies and Mandatory Suicide are some of their darkest, least cheesy and most accomplished. It's the album where they didn't have to prove how fast they could go anymore and instead focus on dynamics. It's also the album that Kerry King had the least to do with, which is definitely a good thing.

While not Slayers best, South of Heaven is indeed a great album. Silent Scream(<3), Ghosts of War, Cleanse the Soul, Behind the Crooked Cross, Live Undead and the title track are some of their best song imo. The rating of that album gets knocked down to a 4.5/5 for me because of Mandatory Suicide and Read Between the Lines, which are the two worst Slayer tracks from their first five (along with maybe Temptation from Seasons) ... especially the former.

Reactions: CiG and zerostatic
To me the title track of Hell Awaits is the least goofy song off either of the first two by a long shot. Obviously the arrangement is not complex (and that doesn't have anything to do with goofiness anyway) but the way it sets up the album for purest evil outweighs the delivery of said evil on the rest of the album imo. South of Heaven on the other hand is ice cold from start to finish. Even the JP cover. Songs like Ghosts of War, Silent Scream, Read Between the Lies and Mandatory Suicide are some of their darkest, least cheesy and most accomplished. It's the album where they didn't have to prove how fast they could go anymore and instead focus on dynamics. It's also the album that Kerry King had the least to do with, which is definitely a good thing.

i think 'hell awaits' is the song most rooted in motorhead/venom, and the closest the album gets to cartoonish b-movie style evil, as opposed to the colder, sociopathic serial killer vibe of most of what follows, which more closely anticipates DM and BM. so yeah, i don't get your perspective i guess.

SOUTH OF HEAVEN is fine but it's over-calculated to me. feels like they're trying to sound a particular way rather than just being it, which isn't an impression i ever got from their first three.

i think 'hell awaits' is the song most rooted in motorhead/venom, and the closest the album gets to cartoonish b-movie style evil, as opposed to the colder, sociopathic serial killer vibe of most of what follows, which more closely anticipates DM and BM. so yeah, i don't get your perspective i guess.

SOUTH OF HEAVEN is fine but it's over-calculated to me. feels like they're trying to sound a particular way rather than just being it, which isn't an impression i ever got from their first three.
Best Slayer Album..Devine Intervention

I know at least one guy that considers Divine Intervention to be their best album. It's not my favorite, but it's a good album. Not any worse than the two proceeding albums except in production maybe.

lol, I had initially typed 'proceding' and was like "Huh, I thought it was precede" in my head, not noticing my typo. I meant preceding.