Your Top Three Thrash Metal Albums?

I listen to so little thrash nowdays that it's hard to make a list, but probably:

Mental Vortex
Ride the Lightning
Pleasure to Kill

Is To Mega Therion a valid choice? If so it definitely replaces Pleasure to Kill!

Yeah I know, missing Slayer, but w/e.

Reactions: zerostatic
i'm in agreement that the title track, 'tormentor' and the very start of 'antichrist' constitute the weakest parts of SHOW NO MERCY. i also think that as weakest parts of an album go, those are pretty damned good. comparing anything to 'die by the sword' and 'black magic' is unfair when i'm aware of hardly any metal bands who've EVER hit those heights.

the title track is definitely the 'goofiest' song on HELL AWAITS so idk what you're talking about ST. doesn't have anywhere near the seriousness, labyrinthine composition or intensity of something like 'at dawn they sleep', or even 'kill again' for that matter. i love it though, don't get me wrong, but it'd probably fit more easily onto the debut than anything else on that album.

while we're on the subject, 'hardening of the arteries' never gets enough love. one of the great metal closers, completely free of anything resembling catharsis. one of the most nasty, inhuman little throwaway thrash songs ever, and it ends up reverting full circle to the opening and doubles down on it, without the explosive release from before, just a haunting fade-out with violent noise scrawled over the top. if it were a film, the final minute would just be a long, lingering shot of a corpse-strewn massacre, blood and guts slowly oozing as it fades to black. it fucking owns.

The weak spots on Show No Mercy still seem much weaker than the worst of Kill 'Em All, Bonded By Blood, etc though. I mean yeah they aren't terrible, but the album on the whole doesn't have that beyond-criticism level of quality some are making it out to have.

Hardening is one of the lesser songs for me, but it is noteworthy for being one of the most death/thrash-y on the album and definitely a very good song still. Toss-up between At Dawn They Sleep and Necrophiliac for my favorite; the "Down! To the fiery pits of hell" bridge section is probably my single favorite Slayer moment.

Here are my top "modern" thrash albums in no particular order (2000 and up)

Tier 1
Hexen - State of Insurgency
Vektor - Black Future
Vektor - Outer Isolation
Hexen - Being and Nothingness

Tier 2
Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder
Exmortus - In Hatred's Flame
Dekapitator - The Storm Before the Calm
Witchaven - Terrorstorm
Assaulter - Salvation Like Destruction
Fueled by Fire - Plunging Into Darkness
Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost

edit: I dont know how i forgot to list Annihilation Process and Chemical Assault by Violator in my 2nd tier.

@CASSETTEISGOD Give Being and Nothingness a shot if you haven't listened to it yet. Great thrash metal with some progressive influences.

Last edited:
In no order I'd go with...

Children - Hard Times Hanging at the Edge of the World
Chronosphere - Embracing Oblivion
Deceptor - Chains of Delusion (EP but I actually like it more than any new-thrash full-length)
Expain - Just the Tip
Immaculate - Atheist Crusade
Synaptik - The Mechanisms of Consequence
Unsouled - Start Over
Vektor - Black Future

Reactions: Baroque
The weak spots on Show No Mercy still seem much weaker than the worst of Kill 'Em All, Bonded By Blood, etc though. I mean yeah they aren't terrible, but the album on the whole doesn't have that beyond-criticism level of quality some are making it out to have.

Hardening is one of the lesser songs for me, but it is noteworthy for being one of the most death/thrash-y on the album and definitely a very good song still. Toss-up between At Dawn They Sleep and Necrophiliac for my favorite; the "Down! To the fiery pits of hell" bridge section is probably my single favorite Slayer moment.

they are moments i like way less on KILL 'EM ALL but yeah i mean it's not beyond criticism. having said that, i'm not sure any albums are, it's rare i find one that's spinetinglingly great front to back without any dips at all. but we've had this convo before so nm.

my favourite slayer moment is either that or THAT scream in 'crypts of eternity' or the entirety of 'postmortem' through 'raining blood'.

Embracing Oblivion(not as good as their debut) and Just the Tip are good albums ... but far from being "list-worthy" imo. Haven't listened to that Children album though ... definitely need to change that. Haven't heard of Synaptik and Unsouled. I'm going to dig through some of that stuff in the next few days.

Here are my top "modern" thrash albums in no particular order (2000 and up)

Tier 1
Vektor - Black Future
Vektor - Outer Isolation

Tier 2
Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder
Dekapitator - The Storm Before the Calm
Witchaven - Terrorstorm
Assaulter - Salvation Like Destruction
Fueled by Fire - Plunging Into Darkness
Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost

@CASSETTEISGOD Give Being and Nothingness a shot if you haven't listened to it yet. Great thrash metal with some progressive influences.

Somewhat in order:

Tier 1
Vektor - Black Future
Vektor - Outer Isolation
Exmortus - Slave to the Sword
Children - Hard Times...
Havok - Time Is Up
Black Fast - Starving out the Light
Mekong Delta - Wanderer at the Edge of Time

Tier 2
Exmortus - Beyond the Fall of Time
Hatchet - Dawn of the End
Fueled by Fire - Trapped in Perdition
Warbringer - War Without End
Reek - Necrogenesis
Megadeth - Endgame
Deathraiser - Violent Aggression
Warfect - Exoneration Denied
Algebra - Feed the Ego
Entropy - E3
Metallica - Death Magnetic
Mantic Ritual - Executioner
Hatchet - Fear Beyond Lunacy
Ripper - Raising the Corpse
Kreator - Phantom Antichrist

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Best thrash EP? Haunting the Chapel, without a doubt.

A few others worth mentioning

Destruction - Sentence of Death
Sepulutra - Bestial Devastation
Kreator - Flag of Hate
Sodom - Expurse of Sodomy
Sodom - In the Sign of Evil
Sarcofago - Crush, Kill, Destroy
Antangonist - S/T
Razor - Armed and Dangerous
Hypnosia - Violent Intensity
Evildead - Rise Above
Tankard - Alien
Acid Reign - Moshkinstein

Protector - Leviathan's Desire
Agent Steel - Mad Locust Rising
Protected Illusion - Swimming in the Moonlight
Protected Illusion - Sandman's Store

Nice list. I just want to add Violator - Annihilation Process for now. I like that EP better than their full lengths.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Embracing Oblivion(not as good as their debut) and Just the Tip are good albums ... but far from being "list-worthy" imo. Haven't listened to that Children album though ... definitely need to change that. Haven't heard of Synaptik and Unsouled. I'm going to dig through some of that stuff in the next few days.

Synaptik is basically a continuation of the 90s demo tech-thrash band Inner Sanctum, Watchtower/Spiral Architect style stuff. Probably more prog than thrash, not sure if you'd like it, but it's a good revival of the sound. The Unsouled is a bit more modern and melodic in style, kinda Flotsam & Jetsam meets a little bit of Sanctuary/Nevermore, also not the thing that appeals to most thrash fans these days.

cool, their descriptions and reviews on MA all sound kind of interesting. Will definitely be checking most of that stuff out.

Nice list. I just want to add Violator - Annihilation Process for now. I like that EP better than their full lengths.

Dammmn, i dont know how the fuck i forgot about that one. Annihilation Process and Chemical Assault both belong in my second tier list too.

Last edited: