Your Top Three Thrash Metal Albums?

Throw them at me anyway, I don't mind some Tech, it's more a case by case thing for me.

Mekong Delta, Obliveon, Target, Abstract, Aspid, Antidote, Believer, Black Fast, Chemical Breath, Deathblow, Deathrow, Despair, Dyoxen, End Zone, Entropy, Hexen, Invocator, Watchtower, Paradox, Sieges Even, Solitude, Spastic Ink, Stygian, Tourniquet, Typhoon

... you forgot Vektor ;)

Im not sure he's going to dig most of those. I already tried with Obliveon, Invocator and Hexen and from what i remember he didn't like em ... which i'm guessing is because they're more alone the lines of regular tech thrash.

Maybe Psychotic Waltz? Not really sure if any of them are up Cassette's alley tbh. Not even Mekong Delta compares to the likes of older Voivod...

Fuck.

Well so far I really liked Mekong Delta, Acid Reign's second album and I already love Watchtower.

I'll check the rest out over the next few hours while I read oh and yeah man, Target Earth was killer.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Yeah, I specifically have Thrash Metal that takes it's cues from classic Progressive Rock in mind for the most part. But still, feel free to send links.

Instrumentally I quite like Vektor but their vocals grate on my somewhat. Regardless I have and thoroughly enjoy Black Future.

This Children link rules man! Best so far by quite a lot!

Reactions: Baroque
Mekong Delta, Obliveon, Target, Abstract, Aspid, Antidote, Believer, Black Fast, Chemical Breath, Deathblow, Deathrow, Despair, Dyoxen, End Zone, Entropy, Hexen, Invocator, Watchtower, Paradox, Sieges Even, Solitude, Spastic Ink, Stygian, Tourniquet, Typhoon

Most of these were pretty cool but Sieges Even is definitely the gem for me here, I checked out their debut and now I'm checking out A Sense Of Change and I really like it. Thanks so much man!

Reactions: Baroque
In the context of thrash metal bests, id certainly disagree. Not everyone has your approach of judging music with scientific precision based on 3 or more different criterion or multiple categories. Sometimes albums just leave an impact, or people just have a different judge of quality than you do. Personally, id consider SNM to be in my top 3 favorite thrash albums, so according to you I would just be a 'try-hard musical populist'. Fucked if I care. I dont judge music from some outside objective criteria. It is admirable (as a scientist) that you do, but do you seriously believe what you say is worthy of such an elitist blanket statement?

Put me in category 3. I definitely think they have a sound that is superior to most. Most thrash doesnt do it for me, but old school Slayer is one of them. Paradoxically, im also one of those who would put something like Peace Sells in my top 3 thrash albums. Maybe I just have shit taste?

I was just giving Omni shit. Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood are pretty hard to criticize; still not top 3 (or even top 30) albums for me, but I do love and respect them. It's totally typical of the average person that doesn't actually like thrash to talk about Slayer's importance and obligatory position in top X lists; these same people also tend to hive-mind around Sabbat and Holy Terror.

If Slayer albums aren't consistent enough to go on a list, then fuck anybody that put Megadeth in theirs.

I agree with this too. I wouldn't put any Megadeth album in a top 10 thrash album list, even though he wrote many of my all-time favorite songs.

Actually, yeah, thinking about it I've put it and Killing in my top 10 before, lol. The covers, Mechanix, and Devils Island kind of hold things back now. I don't think it was ever my all-time fav though; Rust in Peace might have been for a brief time circa 2003-2004 or so but otherwise Ride the Lightning has held that down pretty consistently.

I wasn't trying to shit on Megadeth.
I was just trying to say that, given the massive popularity of Megadeth in people's lists here, it's ridiculous to make a point about Slayer and not also make a point about Megadeth.

Slayer are at the very least as good as Megadeth and at the most masters of their genre.