Your Top Three Thrash Metal Albums?

It really isn't that hard to see how someone can dislike Slayer and still be a huge metal fan. If someone said they worshiped bands like Black Sabbath, Death, Morbid Angel and Lunar Aurora, for example, but at the same time didn't like Slayer you'd have no reason to doubt their sincerity or degree of support for underground heavy metal.

You had me until you mentioned two bands that literally couldn't exist without Slayer.

None of Slayer's albums are consistently great enough to warrant mention in a top 3 and anyone that insists otherwise is a try-hard musical populist.

None of Slayer's albums are consistently great enough to warrant mention in a top 3 and anyone that insists otherwise is a try-hard musical populist.

I don't know about lumping every Slayer voter in the same category. I'd say there's at least 4

1) Those who are trying to fit in with the cool crowd and/or not start any debates with their vote
2) Those who haven't researched thrash enough to know there are better bands
3) Those who genuinely like Slayer's sound better than other bands
4) Those who are voting based on 'most influential/popular' and not what they actually like

But I'm sure what you said does happen Sometimes.

Reactions: CiG

In the context of thrash metal bests, id certainly disagree. Not everyone has your approach of judging music with scientific precision based on 3 or more different criterion or multiple categories. Sometimes albums just leave an impact, or people just have a different judge of quality than you do. Personally, id consider SNM to be in my top 3 favorite thrash albums, so according to you I would just be a 'try-hard musical populist'. Fucked if I care. I dont judge music from some outside objective criteria. It is admirable (as a scientist) that you do, but do you seriously believe what you say is worthy of such an elitist blanket statement?

I don't know about lumping every Slayer voter in the same category. I'd say there's at least 4

1) Those who are trying to fit in with the cool crowd and/or not start any debates with their vote
2) Those who haven't researched thrash enough to know there are better bands
3) Those who genuinely like Slayer's sound better than other bands
4) Those who are voting based on 'most influential/popular' and not what they actually like

But I'm sure what you said does happen Sometimes.

Put me in category 3. I definitely think they have a sound that is superior to most. Most thrash doesnt do it for me, but old school Slayer is one of them. Paradoxically, im also one of those who would put something like Peace Sells in my top 3 thrash albums. Maybe I just have shit taste?

How is Rust In Peace not consistent? There's maybe 1 song that's inconsistent with the rest of the album and it's less than 2 minutes long.

Also I didn't say Slayer is not consistent. I said they're not as interesting.

If Slayer albums aren't consistent enough to go on a list, then fuck anybody that put Megadeth in theirs.

Possibly fuck me over twice, because both are on my list of favorite thrash albums. People can put second rate thrash on their favorite all they want, but these guys are pioneers because they live above the rest.

Since I havent posted my top 3, ill do so now (no order):
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Voivod - Killing Technology
Exodus - Bonded by Blood

4, because 3 wasnt good enough.

Reactions: CiG and Baroque
I'm just saying, if Slayer's albums aren't consistent enough, what is?

How is Rust In Peace not consistent? There's maybe 1 song that's inconsistent with the rest of the album and it's less than 2 minutes long.

Also I didn't say Slayer is not consistent. I said they're not as interesting.

HamburgerBoy said it man.

Slayer - Hell Awaits
Infernäl Mäjesty - None Shall Defy
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare / Destruction - Infernal Overkill

Nice, that was going to be in mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baroque
I'm just saying, consistence isn't my criteria. Why would I want an album that sounds the same all the way through anyway? I like music that develops and changes. technical progressive stuff.

That's why I fucking love Voivod, I'm a simple man but I like Progression too.

Reactions: Baroque
Metallica - Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning
Slayer - South of Heaven or Reign in Blood
Coroner - Mental Vortex or No More Color

Both selections from each band are interchangeable in terms of quality and enjoyment for me.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not a try-hard musical populist. I can't be positive though.