You're all gonna hate me for this...

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
But I can't stop listening to these jams :D

Now despite my unfamiliarity with dubstep/electro in general, my understanding is that the above tunes really aren't considered dubstep cuz of how upbeat and danceable they are, whereas most of the related artists/songs that play on the Skrillex Pandora station are all slow and plodding, with tons of that wobble bass and other random noises.

More importantly though, I like how the songs above are actully structured like songs (multiple identifiable 8/16-bar chunks that could be considered verses/choruses/bridges/etc.), rather than just interminable looping of the same couple of beats/patterns, which bores me to tears (the worst are all those remixes of random pop songs and the like).

So, I know there's a lot of electro fans on here, so hopefully you guys can a) help me figure out what genre the above tunes are considered, and b) recommend some similar stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't listened to the tracks (no audio here), but generally what you describe is called "Complextro" (which is retarded because it's not very complex - unless all you know are wobble basses and off beats).

One of the reasons my shit is popular in my scene is because it has song-structures. I guess dance-producers have figured that out by 2012 now :D

I like the video for Banarang... aside from that i'm having trouble getting into what he does as a whole...

...and understanding how he got so many damned awards...

Bah, same fucking club music that's been around for a long time now with some "new" (not) wobble bass.

I guess it's just down to a new generation discovering (rediscovering, for some) old stuff with a, arguably, little twist.

For me, personally, it just triggers memories from my drugged up clubbing days as an idiot youngling.

Edit: Just realized my post did not help at all. :lol:

The funny thing is that half of skrillex songs are plain house music, some with no wobble at all.

I kinda dig some of his tunes. This one particularly surprised me, and actually helps me sleep incredibly well, I don't care if people consider it cheesy or whatever, I consider that one of the most interesting things I've heard over the last year :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq-geJ9UwG4a[/ame]

Since I decided I would dig into the phenomenon that is skrillex because everyone talks about it at least once, and eventhough I'm not über fan either, I don't get haters anymore. He seems like a normal dude who is good at what he does, and it luckily got super successful. I think he doesn't care if it's not new or whatever, he was good at making it into another package that feels from our decade, and now he's living his dream, plays his music everywhere, and don't care about people who criticize him for not being a DJ per say.

About his particular style, I think it's called Brostep, for being based on Dubstep but with more positive and "joyful" melodies. Whatever, as always, it's a melting pot of a few styles altogether.

Marcus, i can't recommend you so much dub/bro/whatever/step, but I totally fell in love for that one, for obvious reasons :

This guy has made a Zelda EP, go check it ! It's more something trancy than dubstep though.

About the awards, they have always, and always will, be BS. It's just a marketing tool.

OFF this style of music, but I just cannot not mention this one, because it's just epic imo. It doesn't have a song structure as skrillex, for being progressive house, but please give it a chance !

There's even kind of a rock beat in the middle bridge that is just epic !

I totally went off route but oh well :lol:

Honestly, you are going to have to speak with some scene kids and hipsters (last thing I know you want to do) and possibly some neckbeards :lol: ---> http://boards.4chan.org/mu/ The requests threads are actually very informative, I've stumbled upon some decent bands. I'm very pleased with Drudkh, which is a Ukrainian black metal band

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R5c9bHlPa8&feature=related[/ame]

Ambient music and field recordings are slowly become the new "thing" over there (like Desiderii Marginis, Ben Jordann's "Lonely Blue Dot," Cornell University's "Voices of North American Owls", NASA Voyager "Songs of the Planets", Recordings of Airports, etc.) Doom Metal and Grindecore seem to be all the rage. But Dubstep and all the splinter genres are still going strong!

Also, because no one liked it in hipster dog:

:D

Not gonna lie, im also kinda in to some of his stuff. I think the very standard song structures make it easier for a newcomer to the genre to get into it. I've never really been into electronic type music, so to me his style is very unique. Although I haven't wanted to dig to deep into the genre yet. I guess i'll feel it out and see what happens.

Ive actually always listened to a fair amount of electronic music... going way back to NYC rave days in the early and mid 90's...

There's some pretty cool shit out there that I listen to these days. Borgore, Doctor P, Excision, Flux Pavilion, Knife Party, Porter Robinson, Zeds Dead, Pendulum [which kinda counts], Avicii, Feed Me, Calvin Harris, Swedish House Mafia... whatever. Dont care what "genre" people feel like lumping it into. Dubstep, Drumstep, D&B, House, electro house, prog house, trance, psytrance, moombahton, whatever. If its cool its cool.

I grew up jamming Sasha & Digweed, Carl Cox, Daft Punk, Underworld... tons of shit. Actually started making stuff like this of my own recently... having fun with it. And these concerts have been more fun than metal shows recently too. People in better moods... rather than aggro high school kids standing around acting tough.

Skrillex is branded as "brostep", but tbh i just think what he does is a mix between dubstep and house.
I've come to recognize groups/artists such as Excision, Datsik, Subvibe and Addergebroed as brostep, whereas Skrillex, Nero, Stephen Walking, Klaypex and Noisestorm as a mix between dubstep and house.

Examples of brostep:

Examples of the dubstep/house-fusion:

The funny thing is that half of skrillex songs are plain house music, some with no wobble at all.

I kinda dig some of his tunes. This one particularly surprised me, and actually helps me sleep incredibly well, I don't care if people consider it cheesy or whatever, I consider that one of the most interesting things I've heard over the last year :

That song really reminds me of Daft Punk for some reason, kind of like this but a bit more modern:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjli3hj0ZkM&ob=av2e[/ame]

Since I decided I would dig into the phenomenon that is skrillex because everyone talks about it at least once, and eventhough I'm not über fan either, I don't get haters anymore. He seems like a normal dude who is good at what he does, and it luckily got super successful. I think he doesn't care if it's not new or whatever, he was good at making it into another package that feels from our decade, and now he's living his dream, plays his music everywhere, and don't care about people who criticize him for not being a DJ per say.

Im not a huge fan of Skrillex, however i do love Deadmau5 and i've seen allot of interviews and whatever about him where i learned an interesting thing about Sonny(Skrillex real name): He never intended to do this kind of music professionally!

Joel(Deadmau5) said that Tommy Lee had told him about this guy who had made an awesome dubstep record(Skrillex - Scary Monsters EP) and got Joel to tag along when Tommy went to party with him.
Tommy got Sonny(Skrillex) to show Joel the album, and at the end of the night as they dropped Sonny of at his appartment Joel turned over and said "Oh, by the way! I really like your record and want to sign you to mau5trap!".

So don't blame Sonny for this horrifying music, blame Tommy Lee! :lol:

i listen to a lot of this type of stuff, but not nearly as much as a year ago.

skrillex was part of the tide in creating this new sound, but after his initial rise to success he or nobody else have created anything really unique or groundbreaking. the genre has become a bland mess with everyone trying to copy what the big cats are doing and forget the music. people forget how to create a song and focus on wobbles, growls, rips and whatever yet they'll only manage to sound worse than who they're trying to copy.

this genre needs a fresh artist to save it.

by the way, i'd love to hear more stuff in the vein of "reptile".. it's one of the few skrillex songs that i haven't grown bored to. the different tempo is very refreshing compared to the usual 140bpm stuff.

Feed Me, Kill the Noise and Knife Party seem to be kinda the most well-rounded fuckers in that style. Cool jams.

:Spam: shameless plug :Spam:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4QKil9Zzb4&list=UURICtcGvalQudC11SMCKRMQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

***also, check out kill the noise... he's got a lot of talent behind a computer and he's signed to sonny's label (owsla). :heh:

That song really reminds me of Daft Punk for some reason, kind of like this but a bit more modern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjli3hj0ZkM&ob=av2e

Im not a huge fan of Skrillex, however i do love Deadmau5 and i've seen allot of interviews and whatever about him where i learned an interesting thing about Sonny(Skrillex real name): He never intended to do this kind of music professionally!

Joel(Deadmau5) said that Tommy Lee had told him about this guy who had made an awesome dubstep record(Skrillex - Scary Monsters EP) and got Joel to tag along when Tommy went to party with him.
Tommy got Sonny(Skrillex) to show Joel the album, and at the end of the night as they dropped Sonny of at his appartment Joel turned over and said "Oh, by the way! I really like your record and want to sign you to mau5trap!".

So don't blame Sonny for this horrifying music, blame Tommy Lee! :lol:

Kind of yeah, and I particularly like Daft Punk for both their heavy analog synth things (like the ending title of their OST) and their cheesy good sense of melody and tonal qualities.

About Deadmau5/Skrillex, yeah I think he proposed him to sign him while he was taking his cab or going to his car or something like that, he was just into his stuff, which sonny had been doing for a few years already, and none of them imagined it would be that huge.

This might be the track that reintroduced a whole generation to electro and I've yet to hear anything from the current dubstep scene that beats it.

Oh yeah, Aphex Twin. (Richard David James)

That dude is on a whole other worldly level. I pretty much have all his stuff. Check out his wiki to find all his works.